New York Islanders: Clutterbuck out for season/ Mayfield out 4-6 weeks

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Clutter was sat pre deadline too, I don't think he was trade eligible at the deadline then. Interesting.

Reactions: duster19

JKP

Sep 19, 2004
Halifax, NS
Well, guess we'll get some more Salo sooner than later.

Sucks for those guys. Shitty way to end a shitty season that had at least started to trend better the last few weeks.

The Real JT

Louie louie, oh no, me gotta go
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
At first I was meh about the Clutterbuck extension, but now I’m wondering why we signed a 34 year old coming off shoulder surgery who’s game is predicted on being ultra physical to not one but a two year deal…
I was less than meh.

A one day retire as an Islander contract would’ve been better.

duster19

Feb 13, 2013
Tough to be an islander fan this year. Was a fun couple years. Might need to make sure the flashlights still work. Could get pretty dark here over the next couple seasons.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Was there some talk about Cutter playing through something at the end of the playoffs last year? I wonder if its the same thing and they couldn't have him get surgery in late June 2021 and be ready for October 2021.

Perhaps they're throwing the towel in with him now, so he'll be ready by the beginning of 2022-23.

Reactions: chico19341 and JKP

The Real JT

Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
825E0BB4-EF84-4FAB-B945-C681B08E47B6.jpeg

I found Clutter’s alter ego.

Just a flesh wound.

• Haha
Reactions: MarsTBOW

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
At first I was meh about the Clutterbuck extension, but now I’m wondering why we signed a 34 year old coming off shoulder surgery who’s game is predicated on being ultra physical to not one but a two year deal…
This is absolutely true and you beat me to it. It makes absolutely no sense. This guy was already breaking down to begin with. Why in the world would you sign a guy knowing he was going to have season ending shoulder surgery to a two year extension. But I guess on the other hand we now know nobody was going to trade for him because he clearly would not have passed a physical.

NC 1972

Dec 8, 2017
Clutterbuck will need shoulder surgery. Yikes. Mayfield out 4-6 weeks is basically the season as well. Wish both a full recovery.

And this is the concern with older players having to play a condensed schedule, greater risk of injury for a multitude of reasons.

The Real JT

Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
Words can’t describe how much I hate Lou’s decision to defer collecting a much needed asset for Clutter.

Then he goes and doubles down by resigning him? Granted most of this deal can be buried but Cal will be 35 next year and having him stay productive and injury free next year is far from a given.

It was time to move on. Opportunity lost.

The blind squirrel find a nut.

Or

Give a monkey a typewriter and eventually he’ll type you a word.

Reactions: doublechili

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
At first I was meh about the Clutterbuck extension, but now I’m wondering why we signed a 34 year old coming off shoulder surgery who’s game is predicated on being ultra physical to not one but a two year deal…
But we have no idea type of shoulder injury, could just been tear or something which is easy fix through surgery. Guy plays with lost feeling in his hand and has been just as effective I’m sure they are confident this surgery will be no big deal.

2ndGenIslander

Feb 2, 2012
Nassau
sick season. the NHL really f**ck'd us with their inconsistent and clueless covid protocols. sucks other teams benefitted and we had to dress Bridgeport out there

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Good question. Clue could be why the caphit and term being reasonable on the new deal. If Lou and Cal knew he needed shoulder surgery, it would make sense why Cal did not choose to go the UFA route. Guess if he cannot recover, Isles can always LTIR him.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Give a monkey a typewriter and eventually he’ll type you a word.
Not to be picky, but I think it's more like if you tie an infinite number of monkeys to an infinite number of typewriters, one of them will type "A Tale of Two Cities". Or something like that. I remember that because it's a great illustration of what "infinite" really means, and it's also possibly the greatest gag in the history of The Simpsons. :laugh:

1648146570538.png

Last edited:
Reactions: danteipp

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
On Mayfield being hurt, like Pulock earlier this year. The silver lining, and let's face it we need silver linings this season, is Dobson will continue to get big mins, and this will in turn help his already impressive development this year.

Reactions: Olliemets

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
sick season. the NHL really f**ck'd us with their inconsistent and clueless covid protocols. sucks other teams benefitted and we had to dress Bridgeport out there
Not only this but you know what else I was thinking. We are likely going to finish in 9th place in the conference this year, essentially in a no-mans land between the top 8 who will probably finish 5-10 points ahead of us and the bottom 7, most of which will be 10-20 points behind us. Let me preface this by saying that I am and always have been against the idea of expanding the playoffs, but if there was every a year where the 9th place team was clearly far and away better than everyone behind us (and the only reason we are even this low to begin with is because the NHL f***ed us), this was the year. But now watch, after the NHL f***ed us, would anyone be surprised if they f*** us once again and because they were annoyed the top 8 seeds were basically clinched in November this season that they decide next year is the time to expand the playoffs. Then we will probably finish in 6th or 7th and be forced to have a play-in game. Just watch.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Not only this but you know what else I was thinking. We are likely going to finish in 9th place in the conference this year, essentially in a no-mans land between the top 8 who will probably finish 5-10 points ahead of us and the bottom 7, most of which will be 10-20 points behind us. Let me preface this by saying that I am and always have been against the idea of expanding the playoffs, but if there was every a year where the 9th place team was clearly far and away better than everyone behind us (and the only reason we are even this low to begin with is because the NHL f***ed us), this was the year. But now watch, after the NHL f***ed us, would anyone be surprised if they f*** us once again and because they were annoyed the top 8 seeds were basically clinched in November this season that they decide next year is the time to expand the playoffs. Then we will probably finish in 6th or 7th and be forced to have a play-in game. Just watch.
You left out the part about the team getting the benefit of the play-in next year being the NYR....

Last edited:

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
You left out the part about the team getting the benefit of the play-in next year being the NYR....

And the Rags will not only get the play-in opportunity, but they will also receive a shot at the NHL draft lottery and moving up, if they miss out. Those are the Bill Daly Rules.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
But we have no idea type of shoulder injury, could just been tear or something which is easy fix through surgery. Guy plays with lost feeling in his hand and has been just as effective I’m sure they are confident this surgery will be no big deal.
Given that nothing seemed to have happened to him in his last game, I think it's likely it was something he'd been playing through, but since this season is lost, might as well shut him down and get it taken care of now so he is ready for next season. So, I agree that it seems likely it's not something particularly serious.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Given that nothing seemed to have happened to him in his last game, I think it's likely it was something he'd been playing through, but since this season is lost, might as well shut him down and get it taken care of now so he is ready for next season. So, I agree that it seems likely it's not something particularly serious.
Which would also explain why there was no deadline trade for Cal. His condition might result in the trade being overturned. He also might not pass another team’s physical as a free agent.

So for better or worse Clutterbuck and the Islanders are a perfect match 🤦‍♂️

Reactions: Seph

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad