Post-Game Talk: Clownshoe LA Allstar crud ruined the flow. 2-0 Loss.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
RNH is horrible. Dumps to himself every game and can't retrieve a puck and shoots cuz he has zero imagination. No clue what his linemate's are doing and simply doesn't care.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
RNH is horrible. Dumps to himself every game and can't retrieve a puck and shoots cuz he has zero imagination. No clue what his linemate's are doing and simply doesn't care.

Nuge has more than his fair share of criticisms he deserves, but he was probably one of the better players that game.

Davidson and Caggiula were our best players that game IMO.

ToeMcDrag83

5-14-6-1
Aug 25, 2010
Oil Country
They deserve massive blame. Arguably Drai's worst game of the year, McDavid had a poor game by his standards.

Those two were atrocious, might've been McD's worst of the year too. And Patty Maroon not much better, but I'll give him props for trying to engage in other ways.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
He played very good and got promoted to McDavid's line.

He didn't get promoted. He got showcased. Purcell. Jultz. Same thing come deadline. Poo has been a staple on that 2nd line for ever noew and has been abysmal. Why?

I take Journal player grades with a grain of salt but atleast there is some truth. He got a 1 rating. Bingo. He was horrible. Horrible. That promotion was not based on play, it was based on a losing game trying to increase his value

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Those two were atrocious, might've been McD's worst of the year too. And Patty Maroon not much better, but I'll give him props for trying to engage in other ways.

It was awful. No chemistry, trying to be too cute all night. Arguably McDavids worst game of the season, yeah it's rare he plays that poor but a spade is a spade.

It's funny even when McDavid is at his worst he still generated multiple prime scoring chances, Klefbom had a damn near wide open net at the end of the game and completely missed the net.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Nuge has more than his fair share of criticisms he deserves, but he was probably one of the better players that game.

Davidson and Caggiula were our best players that game IMO.

Nuge dumps the puck on 2 on 1's and tries to win the battle. No recognition of sending it around the boards. When he gains the zone he shoots from long distance. No criss cross, no buy time for a dump behind
That is not good play. That is neutralizing your linemates and having zero awareness.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Nuge dumps the puck on 2 on 1's and tries to win the battle. No recognition of sending it around the boards. When he gains the zone he shoots from long distance.

That is not good play. That is neutralizing your linemates and having zero awareness.

Are you being serious? Clear cut 2 on 1 and he dumps the puck? Do you have some video?

Nuge definitely has his flaws and needs to step up, but at least keep it in the realm of what he actually does.

Maybe I'm mistaken, but I don't recall seeing Nuge on clear cut 2 on 1s dumping the puck in.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
He didn't get promoted. He got showcased. Purcell. Jultz. Same thing come deadline. Poo has been a staple on that 2nd line for ever noew and has been abysmal. Why?

I take Journal player grades with a grain of salt but atleast there is some truth. He got a 1 rating. Bingo. He was horrible. Horrible. That promotion was not based on play, it was based on a losing game trying to increase his value
Lol, okay. His line had some good chances and then he got moved to McDavid's line because Maroon wasn't having a great game. The RNH had been playing well in recent weeks.

Journal player grades, not even gonna bother with that. Are these done by David Staples?

Jepprey

Creeper
May 25, 2006
Liked the whole 3rd line. Pou Cags Slepy.

And I did like Nuge this game. His linemates are too slow and static, so yes, he has to chase the puck himself. LOL.

First line struggled.

Goalie was on fire.

Our D couldn't hold the line all night.

Enjoyed Cags Drai Maroon battling physically though. It's too bad Lucic didn't show up.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Are you being serious? Clear cut 2 on 1 and he dumps the puck? Do you have some video?

Nuge definitely has his flaws and needs to step up, but at least keep it in the realm of what he actually does.

Maybe I'm mistaken, but I don't recall seeing Nuge on clear cut 2 on 1s dumping the puck in.

Watch good players gain the zone on a 2 against 1. They criss cross and buy time. Then they pass or dump down low. They don't carry it into the middle every time and just shoot. EVERYTIME.

Yes I'm serious. The guy has no clue who is trailing and has zero imagination for creating time or space

Edit: I mean 2 against 1, but he even does it 1 on1.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Watch good players gain the zone on odd man rush. They criss cross and buy time. Then they pass or dump down low. They don't carry it into the middle every time and just shoot. EVERYTIME.

Yes I'm serious. The guy has no clue who is trailing and has zero imagination for creating time or space

Don't try to change what you said.

Your position was he "dumps the puck in on 2 on 1s". Provide evidence of a clear 2 on 1 where Nuge dumped the puck in.

Alternatively, maybe you were being hyperbolic and didn't actually mean that literally, you have that out still from your original claim to make right now.

Edit: Do you mean 1 on 2? I suspect from your post you mean 1 on 2. 2 on 1 is when we have two attackers against 1 D man.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Don't try to change what you said.

Your position was he "dumps the puck in on 2 on 1s". Provide evidence of a clear 2 on 1 where Nuge dumped the puck in.

Alternatively, maybe you were being hyperbolic and didn't actually mean that literally, you have that out still from your original claim to make right now.

I made a mistake in saying 2 on 1. Clearly I was not talking about him on a clear cut 2 on 1. To watch any game you would see this is not a thing he has had very often.

I meant, and I apologize, was him gaining the zone or taking on defenders. He has zero imagination and buys no time . When he dumps it it is into a corner. Not around the net to allow anyone else to get to it.

So ya, you can slap me for my initial comment on odd man rush. That was the wrong terminology. My bad. But my point stays. He doesn't work with his teammates

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Calgary won 2 games which is nothing to get excited about,just like Edmontons two losses.

You realize that if the Oilers play .500 for the remainder of the season Those teams will need to play 21-9 just to overtake them(just using 30 games as a benchmark)

I mean sure teams choke,but I have full confidence the Oilers will not. Teams.go through lulls all the time. They're playing badly right now,but their playoff position is still absolutely secure. Hence why I said I will start to worry when this hits 4 or 5.

We all know losses are going to happen, as will consecutive losses. IMO, the Oilers cannot allow complacency to creep into their game by saying "No biggie...we're up 9 points". 9 will soon be 3 if they don't keep the consecutive losses to two or three games max. LA has 2 games in hand, if they win those they're that much closer. If the Oilers drop 4 straight heading into their 5 days off, that 9 point lead (St. Louis will be up to 55 points momentarily) they had could be down to 3 or 4 by the time they get back at it to play Chicago.

You have much more confidence in this team to hang onto a playoff spot (divisional or wildcard) than I do, which deserves a tip of the cap.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I made a mistake in saying 2 on 1. Clearly I was not talking about him on a clear cut 2 on 1. To watch any game you would see this is not a thing he has had very often.

I meant, and I apologize, was him gaining the zone or taking on defenders. He has zero imagination and buys no time . When he dumps it it is into a corner. Not around the net to allow anyone else to get to it.

So ya, you can slap me for my initial comment on odd man rush. That was the wrong terminology. My bad. But my point stays. He doesn't work with his teammates

Yeah ok, fair enough. That's on you for saying 2 on 1, I'm sure you can see how ridiculous that would be when we're already frustrated with the loss :laugh:.

You've clarified it, yeah Nuge is lacking his creativity when he's attacking against multiple defenders. I don't know what happened to his creativity.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Lol, okay. His line had some good chances and then he got moved to McDavid's line because Maroon wasn't having a great game. The RNH had been playing well in recent weeks.

Journal player grades, not even gonna bother with that. Are these done by David Staples?

David Staples, Bruce McCurdy, and Kurt Leavins all do the grades I think.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Yeah ok, fair enough. That's on you for saying 2 on 1, I'm sure you can see how ridiculous that would be when we're already frustrated with the loss :laugh:.

You've clarified it, yeah Nuge is lacking his creativity when he's attacking against multiple defenders. I don't know what happened to his creativity.

Seriously Snipes. Thanks for the understanding. Class act bud. I made a gaff in a rant and you took all of 2 seconds to call me out on it and allow me to clarify. That is much appreciated. But you got the jist and moved on. Thanks for recognizing and I do appreciate it

As for the Journal grades Del. Staples and somedy else switch. But who cares. There is a grade and like I said, not full stock, but you can debate either 1-3 points either way imo. I have. But Poo was a 1. He lost so many battles it was sick. He literally had 1 good battle that created a chance, otherwise he was bad. So sure, let him go from a 1 to a 4. I saw his game the same way

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
As for the Journal grades Del. Staples and somedy else switch. But who cares. There is a grade and like I said, not full stock, but you can debate either 1-3 points either way imo. I have. But Poo was a 1. He lost so many battles it was sick. He literally had 1 good battle that created a chance, otherwise he was bad. So sure, let him go from a 1 to a 4. I saw his game the same way
Ok then let's say he was bad that game. The Pouliot-RNH-Eberle line has been fine since the Arizona or Florida game a few weeks ago, and certainly better than what happened tonight when Lucic was put there. Seems a bit dumb to change two lines when most of the team wasn't very good last game. Lucic and Eberle don't seem to work that well together.

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
Start of a losing streak. Going to oiler for a while I think. We are coming down to reality this month. Definitely a losing record this month. I can see us shutting the bed in Carolina losing to Washington splitting Chicago, losing Florida and Nashville again.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Seriously Snipes. Thanks for the understanding. Class act bud. I made a gaff in a rant and you took all of 2 seconds to call me out on it and allow me to clarify. That is much appreciated. But you got the jist and moved on. Thanks for recognizing and I do appreciate it

No problem Bobby, I love to debate and even if I disagree with views I always want to make sure I get the view correct and give the other side the opportunity to make their position/argument clear.

I want Pouliot gone, he's been awful and actually hurt us with his offensive zone penalties (he's improved here in fairness lately). Khaira, Pitlick, Pulju, Caggiula, Slepy, and Benson waiting in the wings make him expendable IMO.

Pouliot has been the most disappointing player for us, but the Pouliot-Nuge-Eberle line had some good moments a few games back. Hopefully Vegas takes him or Chia moves him.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Ok then let's say he was bad that game. The Pouliot-RNH-Eberle line has been fine since the Arizona or Florida game a few weeks ago, and certainly better than what happened tonight when Lucic was put there. Seems a bit dumb to change two lines when most of the team wasn't very good last game. Lucic and Eberle don't seem to work that well together.

Ya it's tuff to say what works and what doesn't. But having Lucic on your line and not allowing him to get into plays or retrieve pucks is just stupid imo.

This is not a promo Ebs rant but when he challenges 2 dmen, altleast he cuts across and looks for other options or pass or shoots when he is forcing the goalie to reset, allowing more for rebounds.

RNH literally has 2 plays. Dump to himself or shoot on an established goalie. What advantage does that give to his line?

That's not 2nd line C material. That's 4th line grind play..freeze the puck kill time

Has RNH taken a man on a 1 on 1 yet this year? I wiil, bet not one instance can be shown

cbzblaze

Nov 26, 2015
Calgary
What was the reason for taking Pouliot off the RNH-Eberle line?

This bugs me the most about TMac. Pouliot RNH Ebs line was playing good and starting to get some rhythm going and he decides to split them up. It's happened a lot this season. How about juggle the lines that ain't playing good and leave the ones that are alone. So frustrating.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Classic EDM we know and don't love the last few games. They better start waking up and playing the sport of hockey and soon or before you know it they could find themselves on the outside looking in. :shakehead

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
This bugs me the most about TMac. Pouliot RNH Ebs line was playing good and starting to get some rhythm going and he decides to split them up. It's happened a lot this season. How about juggle the lines that ain't playing good and leave the ones that are alone. So frustrating.

I'm still mad about him taking Pulju off McDavids line when they were dominating. Pulju should have had 3 assists on McDavids 1st hat trick.

It'll be fine long term, but they were putting up damn good numbers together.

Sure, maybe it was inevitable Pulju would end up in Bako, but he did nothing to deserve being yanked off McDavids wing when they were just developing chemistry.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad