Post-Game Talk (GBU): Closing the Gap

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
It definitely wasn't as fun seeing guys with no future on this team racking up the goals versus seeing Girgensons and Pysyk pot one the other night. At least Mitchell and Stewart went out on a high note. :dunno:

They actually played pretty well relative to some of their other wins.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
G - Mess upped his trade value from a 3rd to a 2nd

B - Tank suffered for it

U - Nothing, unless we lose out on Eichel.

ZeroPT*

If Mess gets a conditional donut I'll fly to buffalo and kiss Tim murray. Hus value was never a 3rd and a goal doesn't make it a 2nd. He's one of the worst D-men in the league

Rhett4

Buffalo Selects Jack
Jul 9, 2002
Amerks #ROC
G - Mess upped his trade value from a 3rd to a 2nd

B - Tank suffered for it

U - Nothing, unless we lose out on Eichel.

Not a chance. Earlier in the year, he would have passed through the waiver wire. With teams getting desperate and his cap hit not as much of an issue (pro-rated) you might swing a 6th or 7th.

Uberpecker

Mar 3, 2011
A Sabres win like this feels like hooking up with some chick in a bar while your pregnant wife's waiting at home. Very short term fun with the potential of jeopardizing your future big time. Still fun, though :naughty:

G: Stewart - during his second breakaway I thought about resigning him for an instant.

B: Lack - two goals squarely on him

U: Arizona getting scored on in the third. Tank's in jeopardy, my friends.

sand1138man

Apr 25, 2007
A Sabres win like this feels like hooking up with some chick in a bar while your pregnant wife's waiting at home. Very short term fun with the potential of jeopardizing your future big time. Still fun, though :naughty:

G: Stewart - during his second breakaway I thought about resigning him for an instant.

B: Lack - two goals squarely on him

U: Arizona getting scored on in the third. Tank's in jeopardy, my friends.

oh boy, couldn't have said it better.....lots of risk for little reward...also this analogy may give insight into why it's so hard for the players to intentionally lose...

and why do we play against the teams back up every night (I know..Millers hurt), but why do we play against only back-ups, and never use our back up....I guess thats that part of being in 30th all year that backfires, teams assume you will lose, so they use their games against you to get there back up goalie in net

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
oh boy, couldn't have said it better.....lots of risk for little reward...also this analogy may give insight into why it's so hard for the players to intentionally lose...

and why do we play against the teams back up every night (I know..Millers hurt), but why do we play against only back-ups, and never use our back up....I guess thats that part of being in 30th all year that backfires, teams assume you will lose, so they use their games against you to get there back up goalie in net

It is amusing how Ted rides his starter harder than teams who're actually fighting for playoff spots. I get that the guy has his pride and wants to win as much as he can, but give me a break Ted. It's starting to feel like he's just flipping everyone off.

wunderpanda

Apr 9, 2012
grain of salt, the Nucks really didn't try very hard at all. Its the only way this AHL roster could have won.

G- Buffalo Sabres ‏@BuffaloSabres 3h3 hours ago Buffalo, NY

The #Sabres did not take a penalty tonight; it was the 1st game without a Buffalo penalty since March 20, 2011 vs. Nashville.

B- Des, Hodgson, Ellis, Risto were all -2 in a 6-3 win

U- possibly the last win of the season

SabreBlood

Mar 31, 2012
grain of salt, the Nucks really didn't try very hard at all. Its the only way this AHL roster could have won.

The #Sabres did not take a penalty tonight; it was the 1st game without a Buffalo penalty since March 20, 2011 vs. Nashville.

We still play Arizona twice, and their management is tanking just as hard as the Sabres' management..

My fear is that after we trade Stewart and a couple more UFAs, that the youthful energy we replace them with will carry us through to a few more wins.

The Tank is literally in a dead heat now. How bad can you make this roster, Mr. Murray?

SabreBlood

Mar 31, 2012
G: Neuvirth can carry the load. Stewart spiking at the right time, ditto for Mitchell and dare I say Meszaros/Benoit..

Bogosian makes the entire team play better defense.

Pysyk plays like a wiley veteran.

B: Winning.

U: It's possible we could get out-tanked now. Our destiny isn't necessarily in our hands anymore. It's in the Arizona Coyotes' hands unless Murray gets way more tank-obvious than he has already been.

mikemcburn

Oct 23, 2013

This a truism. I didn't see the entire game (sick/sleeping), but of what I did it looked like the 5th liners weren't "in the zone", maybe Hodgson particularly (if the revisit of his stick waving defense is anything to go by). Meh, doesn't help to sit cold for half a period before a shift and guys all have bad games of course, so I shouldn't complain.

But I'd bet many (all?) of you missed the BEST part of the whole game!

AWESOME = listening to the local Vancouver media this morning recap the game. The same media that "guaranteed" the Canucks' wing against Buffalo yesterday morning...

The know-it-all sports experts didn't take a moment to remove their feet from mouth and fess up to their failed prediction, but instead favored the hefty lift/toss of the Canucks and their coach under the bus with priceless one-liners and the best flag to emphasize just how dismal the Canucks played -

Apparently Sabres scored 5% of their goals for the season last night against Vancouver? :eek:

Uberpecker

Mar 3, 2011
We still play Arizona twice, and their management is tanking just as hard as the Sabres' management..

My fear is that after we trade Stewart and a couple more UFAs, that the youthful energy we replace them with will carry us through to a few more wins.

The Tank is literally in a dead heat now. How bad can you make this roster, Mr. Murray?

This is what I believe is going to happen actually. I've gone back to inserting Hanifin into my mock line-ups. Hell of a d corps that would be :)

Wisent42

Jan 9, 2012
Södertälje
G: Guys played well.
Mitchell's first was a beauty
Stewart
Four goals in one period? Used to take us a month to score that much! Girgensons and Ennis must have really weighed these guys down. ;)

B: Girgensons and Ennis, obviously

U: Me embracing the tank to a point where I no longer enjoy watching my team win. :(

zero39

Dec 15, 2005
U - Coach Ted sending perhaps the worst defensive line ever assembled (Ellis, Hodgson, Deslauriers) out for a defensive zone faceoff against the Sedin line at a time when the Sabres were clinging to a one-goal third period lead and the Canucks were gaining momentum after hemming the Sabres in their zone for a stretch of about two minutes. It was after a commercial break, so he could have sent any line onto the ice, but he chose that one. Naturally, the Canucks scored almost immediately to tie the game.

That trio of players never saw the ice again, as the coaches preferred, with good reason, to play a line made up entirely of Amerks ahead of this line for the rest of the game. But one has to wonder what the thinking is in creating such a lopsided matchup in Vancouver's favor in the first place. We saw some of this last year, with John Scott out on the ice against Sidney Crosby.

I like a lot of things about Ted Nolan, but some of his strategic decisions (or lack thereof) really make me scratch my head.

SabresBillsBuffalo

May 4, 2010
Buffalo
Ugly- tank extremeists freaking out about the tank when we are tied with games played with Edmonton and Arizona and have 2 games in hand on them and we're going to trade half our roster and people are freaking out about something we can't control.(other teams winning or losing)

Everyone's gonna win pointless games.

SabresBillsBuffalo

May 4, 2010
Buffalo
U - Coach Ted sending perhaps the worst defensive line ever assembled (Ellis, Hodgson, Deslauriers) out for a defensive zone faceoff against the Sedin line at a time when the Sabres were clinging to a one-goal third period lead and the Canucks were gaining momentum after hemming the Sabres in their zone for a stretch of about two minutes. It was after a commercial break, so he could have sent any line onto the ice, but he chose that one. Naturally, the Canucks scored almost immediately to tie the game.

That trio of players never saw the ice again, as the coaches preferred, with good reason, to play a line made up entirely of Amerks ahead of this line for the rest of the game. But one has to wonder what the thinking is in creating such a lopsided matchup in Vancouver's favor in the first place. We saw some of this last year, with John Scott out on the ice against Sidney Crosby.

I like a lot of things about Ted Nolan, but some of his strategic decisions (or lack thereof) really make me scratch my head.
Ted Nolan is terrible.

Nothing more than a motivator.

mikemcburn

Oct 23, 2013

Add in the fact that those guys were ice cold, having had just one shift that period, which means basically sitting since their last 2nd period shift at 16:24.

Personally I don't think the guys were "on" anyway, I mean the line struggled at times in the 1st and 2nd (particularly noticeable I thought was Hodgson, because Ellis is a lost cause career grinder and Des is both a career 4th liner and coming off being sick).

But common, the line itself was hardly designed to be successful (again, Ellis lost cause and Des/Hod have never done a thing together, totally different players) in the first place, then being cold from lack of play AND being iced into that situation? Nolan may have axes to grind and be more than a tad obvious with his personal issue re: Hodgson, but he ain't stupid - I think he was very "strategic" with that move.

Total set up for failure.

ADoubleD

Jul 19, 2009
Buffalo, NY
My positive thought for the day...hopefully next year we can have a thread with this same title but referring to closing the gap on a playoff spot. :laugh:

kcoxsabresfan

May 4, 2010
If Mess gets a conditional donut I'll fly to buffalo and kiss Tim murray. Hus value was never a 3rd and a goal doesn't make it a 2nd. He's one of the worst D-men in the league

I'll give you a Honey Cruller that becomes an Apple Fritter if he scores 15 points. Additional apple cider donut holes accrue for any goal scored over 5.

Tim Murray: "Deal!"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad