Speculation: Closing out the Season

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
They will need to shed some salary and elevate an AHL player so Broberg makes the most sense.

I totally get your frustration around this but some clarity on what they can actually do would be helpful.
I know the rule is like 4 regular recalls max, Holloway is one (for the count), but if you have guys hurt the team can squeeze out some extra ones because they can't have teams play short.

Again, make most of them day to day and do the big recall for the last 2 games, it would look like

Kane - Henrique - Foegele
Holloway - McLeod - Lavoie
Janmark - Pederson - Brown
Grubbe - Carrick - Ryan
Perry (can rest too)

Kulak - Desharnais
Broberg - Ceci
Stetcher - Wanner

Pickard - starts in Arizona

Rodrigues - starts in Colorado (give him a big test)

Also, this roster likely still beats that Sharks team.

Final addendum, I don't recall Gagner, because I know what he can do and I want him healthy for the Oilers for the playoffs.

Reactions: guymez and K1984

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Does anyone have any idea of how many players we can actually call up with the cap space remaining? In an ideal world I'd call up at least three forwards, 2 d men and probably a goalie too. I know all that isn't possible though.

I'm pretty sure we can call up 4 in total (including Holloway) without emergency circumstances. The limit at this point isn't about Cap anymore because any callup we make only creates 3 days out of a 192 day season worth of cap hit which is only $12K-18K each depending on which player (Campbell being the high end $18K)

The limit is governed by the post deadline callup limit.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
I'm pretty sure we can call up 4 in total (including Holloway) without emergency circumstances. The limit at this point isn't about Cap anymore because any callup we make only creates 3 days out of a 192 day season worth of cap hit which is only $12K-18K each depending on which player (Campbell being the high end $18K)

The limit is governed by the post deadline callup limit.
Imagine getting paid $12k a game

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I wonder if both the Avs and Oilers actually ice a decent lineup against each other even if the Jets / Canucks win tonight. A win would secure home ice if they were to meet.
Maybe, but I doubt it. Even more than the Oilers, if the Avs lose MacKinnon or Makar, their season is absolutely over.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
How is it that some teams have finished their season already and the Oilers wont be finished until Thursday? So some teams will have almost a wekk of before the playoffs start and the Oilers will have what...2 days?
Ridiculous.

Reactions: AM

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Sounds like they will be rusty.
Thats certainly a positive take although i suspect that after the grind of 82 games those extra days will be more than welcomed by any team.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
If the Canucks lose tonight and we beat Arizona tomorrow, then it's full bore against the Avs on Thursday.

You get a one game chance for first, you go for it.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
We are now 2nd in the league in goal differential. So likely #1 since Knoblauch took over

Reactions: TB12

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
We are now 2nd in the league in goal differential. So likely #1 since Knoblauch took over
They were 3rd this morning. Things are improving. :thumbu:

I think that goal differential is a quick and dirty way to distill down the quality of the teams which are making the playoffs.
They are +64...this is a damn good team. :nod:

Last edited:

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Oh Boy, Boston dropped to 2nd to face the Leafs. What can go wrong, if you are a long-suffering Leaf fan!? lol

Reactions: guymez

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
And yet the Bruins might actually be the better option for them.
I don't know. Both Boston and Florida are elite teams. And Leafs always choke. But there are lots of interesting matchups in the east. Florida vs Tampa Bay and NYR vs WAS look intriguing too.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
I don't know. Both Boston and Florida are elite teams. And Leafs always choke. But there are lots of interesting matchups in the east. Florida vs Tampa Bay and NYR vs WAS look intriguing too.
They're both bad matchups but the Bruins are the less bad result, imo. Panthers are a slightly better team (than Boston) who will get significantly more calls. Also dirtier than the Bs are at this point.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
They're both bad matchups but the Bruins are the less bad result, imo. Panthers are a slightly better team (than Boston) who will get significantly more calls. Also dirtier than the Bs are at this point.
But Auston Amtthews will take the Leafs to paradise!

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Damn. Resting Aho could cost me a lot of money in my hockey pool.
I hate that the finals in fantasy hockey are the last week of the regular season, too many guys sitting out now. Should do it like the NFL, where fantasy playoffs are finished before the final NFL regular season weekend.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
I hate that the finals in fantasy hockey are the last week of the regular season, too many guys sitting out now. Should do it like the NFL, where fantasy playoffs are finished before the final NFL regular season weekend.
Mine the finals are the last two weeks so it started last Monday

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Last 2 games mean absolutely nothing, I'd rather they not play them, but seeing as they won't do that to the league, sit everyone and call up kids.

"They're all suddenly day to day" and the team needs emergency call ups

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad