The Players' Tribune: Clint Malarchuk : Bleeding out

Not Sure

Feb 8, 2016
Buffalo
I started reading and realized I was tearing up. As someone who struggles with PTSD it's hard to read articles like this, it's just too real, too on point, so I understand completely when he talks about being questioned about that trauma just set off his depression. It's scary as f***, no other way to put it, knowing that what your brain is telling you is wrong but not being able to stop yourself from thinking it, it's life altering.

Clint is a damn hero, and I hope all the sports leagues and organizations around the world start emphasizing proper treatment of mental disorders as medical issues and those suffering stop believing they are character flaws.

3rdLiner

Jan 21, 2011
Cape Cod
Certain parts of this really hit home. I really feel bad for him, traumatic experiences can really mess up a person and it doesn't matter how "manly" of a person that someone was. Trauma therapy is really serious stuff and very closely linked to addiction/recovery therapy for good reason. They both go hand in hand. It's too bad he's now had at least 4 very traumatic experiences from what I can tell in that article, he'll live with it all for the rest of his life.

Hopefully he can get clean(or at least cleanish) and stay in trauma therapy and regain a good life for the rest of the time he has left. He probably has a good chance to give back and help other athletes a'la Chris Herren in addition to whatever he is doing for himself.

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
This was a good read. Eye opening on some parts. Hell who hasn't experienced some sort of anxiety one way or the other.

When he talks about cleaning things over and over without a reason...to me I remembered when my Doc asked if when I left home I checked and double/triple checked I locked the door. And my answer was : Well sure it's just normal. It wasn't. Nor was pushing the lock on the car key 5-10 times while I would slowly walk away to just hear it bip bip a few times.

I also don't wanna blame media, but can't help myself but think that the guy attempted suicide because everyone turned to him when Zednik's injury happened.

TNT87

Jun 23, 2010
PA
I remember that frightful incident but I had no idea about what he was dealing with afterwards. :(

frederixx

Dec 5, 2005
I remember when it all happened. I also remember there were 2-3 people who had a heart attack right after and many more fainted. A few players got sick too. Scary moment for sure

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad