The Players' Tribune: Clint Malarchuk : Bleeding out

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
Damn. That was a great read. I wasn’t following hockey then so I really didn’t have any idea about this whole incident. Good for him turning the cause of his suffering into help for others though. THAT makes him tough.

Reactions: Bear of Bad News

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
The Zednik accident was one of the most horrific things I've ever seen. I was in high school at the time and just about finishing up my senior year season but it scared the hell out of me and I played like a giant wuss the rest of the season to avoid all contact.

Just reading this article and thinking about it ruined my day.

pckstpr31

Jul 13, 2010
CGY
Great read. Awesome to have the Players' Tribune as a platform for athletes to speak out about mental illness. Really hope that it will have some minor effect on reducing the machismo in sports that can prevent men from seeking help with these kinds of things.

Reactions: Eazy for Kuzy

stepdad gaary

Dec 5, 2011
when i was a young kid, i met a really old guy at a hockey camp and he told me he was actually a trainer for buffalo and at one point was applying pressure to the neck wound.

now looking back, do i believe with 100% certainty that this was true, no of course not. But hearing the story and then finding the video as like a 10 year old goalie certainly scared me.

edit: i should note that i didnt read the article yet. but i look forward to reading it later tonight

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
It's really amazing that there aren't more injuries like that in hockey. I know there have been other close calls.

Thinking about getting cut like that gives me the heebie jeebies. :confused:

Kingspiracy

Nov 13, 2006
A great read, i love these tribune articles. His wife is a very special lady to have hung around. Its good clint can pass on his experiences and help others by doing so.

Reactions: KingTrouty

Rygu

Dec 24, 2017
B.C.
I was 9 or 10 when that happened, it was terrifying to see that. The unsung hero was the Sabre trainer he probably saved his life.

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
Strange. I just mentioned this incident with Clint in another thread a few hours ago, before seeing this. *shiver*

I didnt see it live but I saw it a couple days later. It was gruesome then and gruesome now.

My heart goes out to Clint for sure. I'm super happy he is dealing with the demons and getting better every day. Good on him!!!

tom leafers

Jan 25, 2017
Toronto
I was 9 or 10 when that happened, it was terrifying to see that. The unsung hero was the Sabre trainer he probably saved his life.

Oh easily. I forget where i saw this, and for all i remember it could have been Zednik, but whoever it was i remember the player asking the trainer to stop squeezing his neck so hard because he was choking him. And the trainer pretty much said not unless you want to die.

Those guys spring into action and handle the pressure amazingly

Jee

uwu
Aug 25, 2006
Montréal
So Zednik happens, and immediately I’m getting bombarded with interview requests and reliving my accident all over again, and….

It didn’t go well for me.

All of a sudden I’m being asked to watch Richard’s injury again and again, and then my own. The whole time, I thought I was O.K., but it affected me on the inside, you know?

God I hate the media.

mcdoughnut

Jan 22, 2017
New York
Wow, what a great article. I love the Players Tribune. Such a wonderful way for players to get their message/story out there and I'm glad to see Malarchuk is doing better.

I feel like we've been seeing a big surge in athletes talking about mental health lately and I really hope this kind of stuff continues to make it easier for players to get themselves help if needed.

Rygu

Dec 24, 2017
B.C.
Oh easily. I forget where i saw this, and for all i remember it could have been Zednik, but whoever it was i remember the player asking the trainer to stop squeezing his neck so hard because he was choking him. And the trainer pretty much said not unless you want to die.

Those guys spring into action and handle the pressure amazingly

I believe the Sabre trainer or whoever held the towel to his artery was military trained as a medic. That's definitely the type of training you want for a situation like what happened to Malarchuk.

Reactions: tom leafers

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad