Cleveland Indians to become the Guardians

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
12 teams (40% of baseball!) is Red & Blue (not counting the Yankees). Only two teams: A's and Padres (now) don't have red OR blue. Cleveland should be the third.
:confused:

Pirates
Rockies
White Sox (not counting throwbacks)
Giants
Orioles

You mean red, blue, OR black?

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Is the pirate with the red bandana still an active logo?

Secondary logo that isn't used all that much. Red is as much a Pirates color as it is a Steelers color. You're not gonna find any fan gear in red outside of the one guy wearing that all-red vest jersey from the mid-aughts ironically.

It's always rather mind-blowing to me that the Pirates didn't wear the only color scheme I can even imagine them in until what I believe was their 62nd season in the National League. Red occasionally gets to make a cameo as a detail in a logo or when our shitty owner thinks he can make an extra $100 somehow, but the team's primary color in 1947 hasn't made a cameo outside of throwbacks since 1947.

Point being: shit changes. Pretty sure most Pirate fans aren't even aware that blue was ever a part of the color scheme, never mind it being the team's primary color for their first ~7 decades of existence.

Last edited:

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
The Chief Wahoo logo is particularly offensive. This, among other team name changes, is a good thing.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Just leave it as is. They got rid of the logo, let them keep the name. The issue has always been the logo, which they got rid of.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
The Braves may not sound as bad as some other names out there, but considering that the name is directly derived from political corruption and is presented in a racist way with tomahawks, it definitely ought to go.

Reactions: Big McLargehuge

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Just leave it as is. They got rid of the logo, let them keep the name. The issue has always been the logo, which they got rid of.

I know a lot of people who would vociferously disagree with that sentiment. The entire concept of using a subjugated people as iconography is the issue.

Braves has to go too.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
The name is offensive. It’s other People that told them they needed to be offended by the logo. So they agreed because North America doesn’t give a shit at all about them.

I mean, this is a pretty good point. Of all things for to be upset about for America's Indigenous communities, a team's logo is probably at the bottom of the list.

The logos and the names are obviously gross, but the only reason we're talking about these - as opposed to Indigenous self-determination and prosperity - is because America's big business sets the real parameters for discourse in the United States.

Sep 19, 2008
No one has brought up the Chicago Blackhawks yet?
They are in the conversation, but much further down the line because apparently, the team has backed up the things listed in their statement today over the past decade, unlike the Cleveland and Atlanta baseball teams and Washington football team.
At this point it's not even about the name it's about the "indignation" of marketing Native American imagery which is somehow "disrespectful" :laugh:

By that logic the Braves, Chiefs and Blackhawks days are numbered.

the debate in the football forum

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
At this point it's not even about the name it's about the "indignation" of marketing Native American imagery which is somehow "disrespectful" :laugh:

By that logic the Braves, Chiefs and Blackhawks days are numbered.

the debate in the football forum
Don't you think there is something wrong with massacring a group of people and then using them as mascot for something as trivial as sports?

nilan30

Jan 14, 2004
Just follow the Phillies example. Cleveland Clevies. Actually Cleveland Cleavers could be kind of cool.

Sep 19, 2008
Don't you think there is something wrong with massacring a group of people and then using them as mascot for something as trivial as sports?
Massacring them is wrong but your excuse of this being "something as trivial as sports" is silly and sounds very, very "progressive" so to speak

Like, why should the Blackhawks give up native imagery. I'm still struggling with that logic. The name isn't offensive, yet it is somehow immoral to market NA imagery because we massacred people and stole they land. Come on. This whole historical guilt or PC "I feel sorry for what happened" well I do too it makes me sad, they basically tricked the Natives and stole their land and put them in shady deals. We should remember that. But that doesn't mean we should give up all Native American imagery. You are aware 1) sports teams are not named after things people disrespect and 2) MANY Native American terms and slang are used as state names and place names...including Illinois :eek:

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
Massacring them is wrong but your excuse of this being "something as trivial as sports" is silly and sounds very, very "progressive" so to speak
Sports IS trivial. Its not life and death. Its a form of entertainment.

Like, why should the Blackhawks give up native imagery. I'm still struggling with that logic. The name isn't offensive, yet it is somehow immoral to market NA imagery because we massacred people and stole they land.
That...isn't your call. You do not get to determine whats offensive to Native Americans and what isn't. And far as I cam tell, Native Americans do not want Native American mascots in sports.

Come on. This whole historical guilt or PC "I feel sorry for what happened" well I do too it makes me sad, they basically tricked the Natives and stole their land and put them in shady deals. We should remember that. But that doesn't mean we should give up all Native American imagery. You are aware 1) sports teams are not named after things people disrespect and 2) MANY Native American terms and slang are used as state names and place names...including Illinois :eek:
We? Who's we? Why do we have to listen to only you and not Native Americans who do not want their names and images to be used for entertainment? To you, its entertainment. To Native Americans, its about respect.

Sep 19, 2008
Sports IS trivial. Its not life and death. Its a form of entertainment.

That...isn't your call. You do not get to determine whats offensive to Native Americans and what isn't. And far as I cam tell, Native Americans do not want Native American mascots in sports.

We? Who's we? Why do we have to listen to only you and not Native Americans who do not want their names and images to be used for entertainment? To you, its entertainment. To Native Americans, its about respect.
If you ask Native Americans how they feel about these teams you won't find much bad words said :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad