Speculation: Cleary's ice time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter Tosh

Dec 19, 2007
Less ice time, realbad :)sarcasm:) stats, forward logjam. Is there any chance Dan Cleary might retire mid season to join the coaching staff? To a big extent, signing Cleary was a locker room decision. Him retiring would open the possibility of keeping him as a leader but not taking ice time from more productive players.

He is 34 years old (>35), so wouldn't his contract just get off the books?

Last edited by a moderator:

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
He looks more done than I could ever imagine he would. Much, much worse than last season which wasn't great to begin with for him.

If he doesn't have anything physically bothering him I'm not sure he'll actually realize how done he is. But I hope he does because it's a little bit sad to see him right now. Retiring on his own terms instead of forcing Kenny to waive him would be a more honorable end to his career.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Though I would not mind this, I would probably be the most shocked person in the world if this happens.

I am hoping perhaps the Wings are realizing he is done and will think twice before bringing him back.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
Wishful thinking. He will cash in his money even as a healthy scratch which is the best we can hope for really. :laugh:

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
retire mid-season? :laugh:

he's coming back after this year for at least a couple more

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
Thanks for getting my hopes up. I'm under the assumption Cleary will be here for a couple more years until he's not re-signed.

Last night I was thinking how great it would be if Cleary announced this was gonna be his last season. And he would have a send-off like Mariano Rivera. In all the Canada cities there would be standing O's for Danny boy. The HNIC tribute montage would be one to remember.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
He looks more done than I could ever imagine he would. Much, much worse than last season which wasn't great to begin with for him.

If he doesn't have anything physically bothering him I'm not sure he'll actually realize how done he is. But I hope he does because it's a little bit sad to see him right now. Retiring on his own terms instead of forcing Kenny to waive him would be a more honorable end to his career.
He's been battling injuries constantly for the past few years. Injuries to his knee. The guy's not skilled enough to make it without a healthy body and it's not like he's 25 and can just bounce back.

Thats why it was so obvious he should not have been brought back. Oh well. At least the rest of the team is waking up to that now.

benusmc

Feb 11, 2008
They should waive him and Sammy (though I have no issue with him) and bring up Tootoo and Glendening for this next Ottawa game.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
No cap space.

Mikael Samuelsson is a *******... cant play for **** and still think he deserves 3 mill per year... If the man had any integrity and self respect he would have retired... greedy a-hole

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
What if Bert and Cleary were to go on LTIR?

It's still just a stop gap, the Wings need to make a move before DeKeyser comes back. And Cleary isn't going on LTIR, he's not hurt.

Teams just can't randomly put players on LTIR, if the league caught wind there would severe penalties. Not to mention the NHLPA would be all over the organization.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Mikael Samuelsson is a *******... cant play for **** and still think he deserves 3 mill per year... If the man had any integrity and self respect he would have retired... greedy a-hole

Why are you blaming Samuelsson? That's not his problem, it's Holland's. He deserves whatever a GM will pay him, Holland thought he deserved it. Blame him.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
+35 deal. cap hit stays.

oh yea, forgot about that.

Why are you blaming Samuelsson? That's not his problem, it's Holland's. He deserves whatever a GM will pay him, Holland thought he deserved it. Blame him.

Wait, u think a player deserves a salary because someone is willing to pay it? I blame Holland too, should be fired, he has slowly made this team worse and worse. Been living on Devellano, Bowman and Murray for far too long now.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
It's still just a stop gap, the Wings need to make a move before DeKeyser comes back. And Cleary isn't going on LTIR, he's not hurt.

Teams just can't randomly put players on LTIR, if the league caught wind there would severe penalties. Not to mention the NHLPA would be all over the organization.

Honest question: what could the NHL do? Take a draft pick like they did with Mew Jersey?

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Wait, u think a player deserves a salary because someone is willing to pay it? I blame Holland too, should be fired, he has slowly made this team worse and worse. Been living on Devellano, Bowman and Murray for far too long now.

I think a player, just like anyone else, is entitled and deserves whatever salary/wage someone will pay him to do a job.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010

Yes. If someone offers Sammy $10 million a year, they obviously think he deserves it. If someone is willing to pay it, why wouldn't he take it?

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013

I'm positive that Samuelsson's a better hockey player than you are. If Holland offers you $3M to play, do you refuse?

Blaming Sammy is like blaming a business that's about to go under for accepting a bailout, instead of the government which never should have offered it in the first place.

The person to blame here is Holland.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad