Clear lack of equity shown by the NHL

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
You're free to believe so but it's really obvious to me. Bishop is making a mockery of the sport and has not been punished at all. Why is nothing being done ? I want to know how do they evaluate what is worthy of punishment and what is not. At what point do they draw the line. That's all I want to know.

Because Prust keeps bumping into him. They will always protect the goalie if in doubt. As for the rest of your arguments, the reffing is atrocious most nights, for most teams, you have to get used to it....

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
Everyone is familiar with the Colin Campbell E-mails ?

How do you expect this guy to have any rational professional ideas on how reffing should be in the NHL ?

The fact Campbell is in a position of power after those leaked E-mails casts a gigantic shadow on the entire process of reffing and discipline in the NHL.

Luckily a team can still win despite having the refs out to get you but it's an uphill battle at times... only thing that keeps me watching.

Edit.......just read your post below this one.

Thanks.:)

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
No, I'm not familiar with the Campbell emails. I know posting a link to the story might be frowned upon. Can you give a time frame when this happened and who leaked them?

Thanks.:)

Just google it. It's not even rumors or anything made up.

The E-mail were released as part of a suit from a referee who was fired without cause because Campbell is a gigantic **** and fraud.

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
he also said when was the last time you saw a goalie called for diving/embellishment or fined?

Well there is 2 reasons for that really.

1- Goalies have their own diving/embellishment rules:
Code:
A goalkeeper who deliberately initiates contact with an attacking
player other than to establish position in the crease, or who otherwise
acts to create the appearance of other than incidental contact with an
attacking player, is subject to the assessment of a minor penalty for
diving / embellishment.

2- Virtually every infraction against a goalie fall under interference against the goalkeeper. You can go ahead and cross-check a goalie in the back, you'll get called for interference and not cross-checking. And for interference it doesn't matter if the goalies goes down like he's been shot or stand up like a brick wall, if the rules are applied correctly it's the same call. Theatrical acts by goalie have no influence, from the rules point of view, on the call being made.

This is kinda like you can get called for Hooking, even if you fail to successfully "restrain" the other player, just placing your stick on the arm or hip is good enough for the call. Whereas you can only get called for tripping if the other player actually fall down.

Vinc360

Apr 3, 2008
Never qualify of malice what can adequately be explained by incompetence.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Most of the fans league-wide thinks Habs players get preferential treatment.

habfaninvictoria

Nov 1, 2007
Victoria BC
A couple things really stick out for me.

Bishop dives tons and seems to get a free pass... I'm noticing however that as the series goes on he's throwing his stick... A LOT. This to me is worse than the diving, and should be a penalty.. I'm however ok with it, because I'm sure if I've noticed, the habs coaches and players have too, maybe his free pass is over.

As for the conspiracy theory. If you're the NHL you don't need to promote the game in Montreal... it's a cash cow. Of course you want to promote it in TB or NYR or any other US market... particularly with the dollar being so low... they literally don't care about the Canadian market because it drives the league, and will continue to be the economic driver for the league no matter what injustices perceived or real befall us.

What actions can we take.... boycott games... don't buy NHL centre ice ... that won't happen and the league knows it.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
You're free to believe so but it's really obvious to me. Bishop is making a mockery of the sport and has not been punished at all. Why is nothing being done ? I want to know how do they evaluate what is worthy of punishment and what is not. At what point do they draw the line. That's all I want to know.

A Montreal Canadiens fan complaining about diving not being called is, frankly, pretty ridiculous. There are way too many guys wearing bleu blanc et rouge that tend to to go down a little too easily a little too often for any fan of the Habs to be complaining the referees should be calling more dives.

PricePkPatch*

Seems to me there was a bit more "contacts" against Bishop last game that werent called.

Seems the refs are somewhat catching up to his act.

Forum93

Feb 16, 2015
It seems the Bolts are getting away with more infractions and more chincy calls are being made on the Habs. One that stands out to me was the crosscheck by Coburn on Gallagher. That one can't be denied when you saw the end result on Gallagher's face.

RC51

Dec 10, 2005
mtl
I just talked to Ben Bishops wife, she says he fakes it all the time and she taught him everything he knows.:laugh:

Apoplectic Habs Fan

Aug 17, 2002
A Montreal Canadiens fan complaining about diving not being called is, frankly, pretty ridiculous. There are way too many guys wearing bleu blanc et rouge that tend to to go down a little too easily a little too often for any fan of the Habs to be complaining the referees should be calling more dives.

Or they should just be calling all dives, which is the point. Not just looking at the jersey a team wears.

Is expecting an official to be impartial and do their job too much?

Jay Wolf

Jun 14, 2011
Everyone is familiar with the Colin Campbell E-mails ?

How do you expect this guy to have any rational professional ideas on how reffing should be in the NHL ?

The fact Campbell is in a position of power after those leaked E-mails casts a gigantic shadow on the entire process of reffing and discipline in the NHL.

Luckily a team can still win despite having the refs out to get you but it's an uphill battle at times... only thing that keeps me watching.

I'm not. Do you mind explaining?

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
So where are the fines for Lightning players ?

This is a major injustice. NHL is quick to fine Subban for a little embellishment far away from the actual play but the disgusting display by some Tampa players goes unnoticed when they've been rewarded with PPs and goals because of it ? Then Prust gets fined for speaking the truth. NHL is just beyond fraudulent. If you say you have to be a repeat offender to be fined then why hasn't Ben Bishop gotten anything yet ?

I don't care about the actual punishment or the amount fined btw. I just want the NHL to recognize offences consistently and consider these issues impartially and with candor. They clearly are not and I'm just tired of it. Call me whiny all you want it's the truth.

Whiner. Get real man. Stupid loser thread.

Apoplectic Habs Fan

Aug 17, 2002
Seems to me there was a bit more "contacts" against Bishop last game that werent called.

Seems the refs are somewhat catching up to his act.

Well he did only play like 30 minutes. Lol.

but you are right, those officials were either informed prior to game or have seen bishops antics before. Few times they gave him the talking to not the bumper

missthenet

Feb 20, 2003
Visit site
It seems the Bolts are getting away with more infractions and more chincy calls are being made on the Habs. One that stands out to me was the crosscheck by Coburn on Gallagher. That one can't be denied when you saw the end result on Gallagher's face.

and when he tried to fix his nose on the bench, also again making a pass on Thursdsay with a broken stick, the play continues and the habs get a penalty wtf is that all about?

Nynja*

Some people will never change. You can show the PP/PK discrepancy, and they still say "its not the number of penalties, its the timing"...ridiculous.

Analyzer*

Even Glen Healy, the CBC Hab hating goalie loving resident idiot, called Bishop a diver and faker.

By my count, this series, zero embellishments for Subban, 26 for Bishop... in 4 games.

Healy hates diving/embellishment more than Montreal.

Yes, but you're on HFBoards. I've posted here long enough to know that 95% of the posters on here should be sterilized immediately with the things they post.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011

Irrelevant in the grand scheme of things. The ticket takers and the media might notice this.

The players wont and really wont care at all. When Price was asked yesterday in the post-game interview if the chants of "Carey! Carey!" after making his great save against Stamkos helped him, he politely said that he is into the game and is only focusing on making the next save.

Other than providing revenue for salaries, fans are irrelevant during a game.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
Let's not turn into Bruins fans, pretending to be saints that never dive while the other team dives its way to victory...

... That being said, Ben Bishop has put on quite a show so far. Literally 4-5 embellishement plays... PER GAME! And I do mean, literally, it's unbelievable.

I don't know, and I certainly don't think, the NHL has something against us or anyone else, but fines and penalties are obviously being thrown around far more easily against certain players, and that's something that can't be denied. That time when the ref told to Gallagher "I would have called a penalty if it weren't you that was involved" on a play against the Jets, I believe, comes to mind. Subban is another one that's heavily targeted, a result of him being the center of attention wherever he goes and having some kind of reputation to carry around as well.

But clearly, Bishop has deserved plenty of diving/embellishment calls over the last 4 games, and I can't believe the league hasn't stepped in yet. When you see the type of stuff they fined Subban for, it just leaves me scratching my head a bit.

Has a goalie ever been punished for embellishment? I've been on bishop's case all year about this. Sadly, he isn't the only perpetrator.

He's one of the goalies that abuses the rules that are in place to protect goaltenders. It's not just the constant acting, but how he plays pucks outside of his crease, waiting an extra second before making a play and daring someone to touch him so he can make a meal out of it. Turco used to do this all the time, and it drove me crazy that he can take his sweet ass time while the for checker either puts his breaks on and waits for the goalie to make a play, or keep going and take a penalty.

I think that one game that prust tagged him behind the net, he was probably thinking that bishop is going to put a lot of mustard on this anyways, let's actually make it worth it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad