Trade: [CLE/DEN] Jerry Jeudy (signs 3 years, $58 million) for 2024 5th and 6th round picks

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
The Brown got him for a 5th and 6th round pick. Not sure yet whose picks because the Browns own two of each and none of them are theirs.

Even after a down year, he doesn't have to be very good to exceed this trade price.

They got Cooper for a 5th rounder a couple of off-seasons ago.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
A 2nd round pick was offered last season

It blows my mind how Paton still has a job.
Sometimes, there's stipulations in the deal that ask the team to retain a portion of the salary. Jeudy had his 5th year option picked up after year 3, so he's guaranteed that at the $14 mill which would also be his cap charge for 2024. Sometimes those factors cause a deal to fall through. As Denver would have had to consider cutting Russ and eating his dead cap that they didn't want to eat anything of Jeudy.

One key part of the Leonard Williams to SEA trade for a 2nd and 5th was that the NYG ate like $9.3 mill of the remaining $10 mill due to Williams (he made $18 mill last season). Allowed SEA to not have to restructure any contracts as they only had around $5/6 mill in cap room at the time. They were thus able to roll that over to 2024 and can use that to pay Williams, if they can get him signed.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
The Brown got him for a 5th and 6th round pick. Not sure yet whose picks because the Browns own two of each and none of them are theirs.

Even after a down year, he doesn't have to be very good to exceed this trade price.

They got Cooper for a 5th rounder a couple of off-seasons ago.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
browns FO has done a great job of acquiring undervalued assets for dirt cheap

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I feel bad if Browns fans expect much out of this absolute scrub.

Low effort, immature player who drops an insane amount of catchable balls. This guy can't be relied upon. A travesty given his route running is amongst the best in football.

Troy McClure

Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
I feel bad if Browns fans expect much out of this absolute scrub.

Low effort, immature player who drops an insane amount of catchable balls. This guy can't be relied upon. A travesty given his route running is amongst the best in football.
And maybe getting traded for little will scare him into realizing he's another bad season away from being out of the league. The upside is maybe he'll get his shit together. There isn't any downside. If he doesn't work out, the cost was negligible.

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011
This *maybe* really good agent work. Because I think he was guaranteed 12.5m with the 5th year option. So that maybe just be built into this

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
This *maybe* really good agent work. Because I think he was guaranteed 12.5m with the 5th year option. So that maybe just be built into this
3 year deal, which averages like $29 mill. 5th year option for him was $14 mill. But, honestly, I'd rather have kept JJ on the 5th year option and paid Cooper another contract. He's 29, so not young, but he's an adult who goes out and does his job.

Not sure exactly how Cle is navigating the monsterous cap hits for Watson over the next 3 seasons. Have already pushed $60 mill of cap charges to 2024-2026 where he's under contract and some into voidable year in 2027.

Troy McClure

Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Seems a bit steep for a guy who is still somewhat unproven, but it's not my money
Last season, the Browns made a similar trade for Elijah Moore where they got a struggling young WR at a cheap price in terms of draft comp. Moore wasn't very good this past season, and he's probably gone as a free agent after next season if he doesn't get better.

Thanks to the Watson deal, they're having to get creative trying to find bargains in hopes those guys live up to their potential. With Judy, they're hoping getting out of a bad situation wakes him up to show what he should be. They don't have draft picks to trade for known commodities, so this is their path.

Besides, paying Jeudy a bunch the next couple of seasons doesn't matter if Watson still sucks. Either way, they team will be heading back to a rebuild with an entirely new front office and coaching staff.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Personally, would not have been that eager to sign him. Rather see how he performs. Again, rather pay Cooper than him despite the age difference.

Donnie740

May 28, 2021
This can only be explained as a deliberate act of internal sabotage by the Browns GM. Giving up TWO (2) draft picks for an absolute garbage WR was a fireable offence in and of itself, but to then give the guy $20M x3 is beyond comprehension.

Steve Smith is one of the greatest WRs in NFL history and as a commentator he’s just as savage as he was in the field.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad