Confirmed Signing with Link: [CLB] Columbus has signed Vladislav Gavrikov to 2 year ELC

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Jones, Werenski, Nutivaara, Murray, Savard, Gavrikov...

The rich get richer.

LuckyBoeser

Oct 8, 2018
Can someone tell me what we can expect from Gavrikov? What kind of player is he? What are his strengths and weaknesses?

Last edited:

returnofthemack29

Feb 20, 2015
Can someone tell me what we can expect from Gavrikov? What kind of player is he? What are his strengths and weaknesses?
Good defensively, not much offensively. I really like his hockey sense and positioning, not the fastest guy though. I think he tops out as a really solid #5.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Shutdown Dman
Good defensively, not much offensively. I really like his hockey sense and positioning, not the fastest guy though. I think he tops out as a really solid #5.
i think he has higher potential than a #5. I think he could be a defensive top 4 D. Maybe pair him with a decent offensive oriented dman and you’d have a solid 2nd pair

returnofthemack29

Feb 20, 2015
Shutdown Dman

i think he has higher potential than a #5. I think he could be a defensive top 4 D. Maybe pair him with a decent offensive oriented dman and you’d have a solid 2nd pair
I think his lack of puck skills keeps him out of the top-4. He’s just not a guy that you want the puck anywhere around once you’re in your offensive zone. Probably wouldn’t look out of place as a #4 for a short stretch, if injuries hit.

returnofthemack29

Feb 20, 2015
He reminds me a lot of former Avalanche player Andrei Mironov. Mironov was a little better defensively at the same time, though. Both were touted for their stout defensive play, but both need a puck mover on their pair in order to be effective. When Mironov came over, he was expecting over 20 minutes a night in the NHL right off the bat and was having issues transitioning his defensive play to the smaller NHL ice. Once the Avs sent him down to the AHL to get better adjusted to the ice at a lower level, he completely mailed it in and pouted his way back to Russia. I hope Gavrikov doesn’t experience a similar fate. Unfortunately for guys like Gavrikov/Mironov, their games are growing less and less valuable in today’s fast-paced NHL.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
He reminds me a lot of former Avalanche player Andrei Mironov. Mironov was a little better defensively at the same time, though. Both were touted for their stout defensive play, but both need a puck mover on their pair in order to be effective. When Mironov came over, he was expecting over 20 minutes a night in the NHL right off the bat and was having issues transitioning his defensive play to the smaller NHL ice. Once the Avs sent him down to the AHL to get better adjusted to the ice at a lower level, he completely mailed it in and pouted his way back to Russia. I hope Gavrikov doesn’t experience a similar fate. Unfortunately for guys like Gavrikov/Mironov, their games are growing less and less valuable in today’s fast-paced NHL.

Lol, Mironov never was better defensively, than Gavrikov. Not even close. And Gavrikov's puck handle skill is pretty good.

Reactions: Weiss1604

returnofthemack29

Feb 20, 2015
Lol, Mironov never was better defensively, than Gavrikov. Not even close. And Gavrikov's puck handle skill is pretty good.
At the same age, Mironov was. Gavrikov’s puck skills are ok for the KHL, but it’s about AHL/fringe NHL-level when compared to the NHL.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
At the same age, Mironov was. Gavrikov’s puck skills are ok for the KHL, but it’s about AHL/fringe NHL-level when compared to the NHL.

Nah, Mironov always sucked defensively. His big hits didn't/doesn't make him anything special. Gavrikov has been a top Team Russia's defenseman for a few years now, Mironov always was like a bottom pair guy, when he was on the team.

While +/- isn't the best stat, it still can be pretty speaking sometimes. Mironov is -3 in 14 games, and Gavrikov is +16 in 17 games at WHCs. And Gavrikov always plays toughest minutes on Team Russia.

Last edited:

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Reading through this thread shows that 99% of posters dont know jack shit about Gavrikovs actual abilities.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Best prospect in the world according to one poster on these boards :laugh:

Wish I could remember who made that ridiculous post.

Well, he's the best defensive defenseman outside the NHL for sure.

Still, I don't think, we'll see him in the next couple games, because he needs to get accustomed to the Jackets game and to NA life overall, and Tortorella hardly is going to fix, what hasn't been broken yet. But games will come, when Columbus defense get exposed, and then he'll start to play. How good? We shall see.

Last edited:

Kipper933

Remember the Kipper
Jul 10, 2002
Toronto, ON
Visit site
He'll be an interesting player to watch his adjustment to the league as he plays a very muted style (not a fantasy D, for sure).

Comparing him to Mironov is a weird one, Gavrikov has been noticeably better at every stage of their respective careers.

pled

Sep 7, 2009
Jones, Werenski, Nutivaara, Murray, Savard, Gavrikov...

The rich get richer.
gotta protect 4 of those or let go one for 3 forward protected

Well, he's the best defensive defenseman outside the NHL for sure.

Still, I don't think, we'll see him in the next couple games, because he needs to get accustomed to the Jackets game and to NA life overall, and Tortorella hardly is going to fix, what hasn't been broken yet. But games will come, when Columbus defense get exposed, and then he'll start to play. How good? We shall see.
Murray and McQuaid are skating too so even if the 3rd pair broke down I am not sure if he plays over them. other than if he's super impressive in training

SabresSharks

Oct 2, 2007
I'll accept CBJ fans' opinion on this, but Torts surprised me by playing Texier with a playoff spot still up for grabs. That suggests he might do likewise in this series with the more experienced Gavrikov.

pled

Sep 7, 2009
I'll accept CBJ fans' opinion on this, but Torts surprised me by playing Texier with a playoff spot still up for grabs. That suggests he might do likewise in this series with the more experienced Gavrikov.
Texier played few ahl game and 2 nhl game before. it's a bit different he earned torts trust before the playoff. and he is still slide eligible too.

Reactions: SabresSharks

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Best prospect in the world according to one poster on these boards :laugh:

Wish I could remember who made that ridiculous post.
I 100% said D prospect so maybe you are thinking of me. But I never said best prospect in the world so you might mean someone else. But you wont find many higher on him then me.

gotta protect 4 of those or let go one for 3 forward protected

Murray and McQuaid are skating too so even if the 3rd pair broke down I am not sure if he plays over them. other than if he's super impressive in training
we can always just give up a 1st and prospect to keep them like with Vegas. Vegas wont fight a deal to force us to lose a player because that will put that GM in a place of no one wanting to deal with him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad