Classic match rewatch/discussion

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
I’m rewatching this game, probably for the first time since watching it live, and I was quite young then. I remember the sweet Caniggia finish from a great setup by Maradona for the match winner, but from watching through the first half at least, Argentina had no business being in this match. Brazil thoroughly dominated the first 45 minutes. First 10 minutes of the second half is more of the same.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Fifa has been posting a lot of older games. I was thinking a thread like this will be good. I was planning on watching this game at some point soon.

Reactions: koyvoo

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
And to be honest France/Germany 82, even if I hate a lot of moments in them, even if I hate a certain Harald S., even if nowadays people would question if the ref was bribed, even after all that, the brilliance, drama and entertainement value of this game is incredible. All of this in the incredible city of Sevilla. Fitting.

Reactions: gary69

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
A brilliant idea for a thread.

I mentioned previously watching Italy-Brazil from 1982. I thought that a superb game, and Italy struck me as good value for their win - albeit helped by dire Brazilian goalkeeping and Serginho leading the Brazil forward line like a lump. That Brazil team was exciting to watch, but by modern standards they looked almost devoid of structure in possession. If nothing else, there's historical interest in seeing the ridiculous amount of foul play Gentile was allowed to get away with, mostly towards Zico. A useful reminder of how little protection football gave even its biggest stars back then.

A few other games I've watched: Scotland 0, Brazil 0, 1974 World Cup. Brazil were terrible and dirty, without a midfield worthy of the name. Had Scotland treated them with less reverence, they may have achieved an historic victory.

Scotland 3, Holland 2, 1978 World Cup. A famous win for the Scots, in which Graeme Souness was so dominant in midfield you marvelled that he wasn't selected in their first two games (the 3-1 defeat to Peru and 1-1 draw with Iran that did for them). Whisper it, but I don't think the Dutch really exerted themselves too much in this game, from which they didn't even need a point - particularly after a defensive mess gifted them a penalty and a 1-0 lead that left Scotland needing to score four to eliminate them.

Wales 3, Scotland 0, Home Nations Championship 1979. Scotland's centre backs, Paul Hegarty and Alan Hansen, both made terrible errors that helped John Toshack score a hat-trick. Scotland had the better individuals, but not the team.

A recurrent theme of those Scotland games was their inability to build a balanced team, especially in terms of playing to Kenny Dalglish's strengths. Their most effective striker was Joe Jordan - but he was rather too blunt a tool to suit the ballplayers behind him. Another problem was a tendency to play central midfielders out wide, leaving them too reliant on full-backs to provide width. And the use of Danny McGrain, their outstanding right back, as a left back against Brazil in 1974, was farcical in conception and outcome.

England 3, Cameroon 2, 1990 World Cup. England were awful. Anyone who thinks Bobby Robson belongs in the first rank of managers needs to watch a game like this and see the organisational fiasco he inflicted on his players.

England 1, West Germany 1, 1990 World Cup. England played real football in the first half. Gascoigne, Platt, Waddle and Lineker's movement was hugely impressive (Beardsley made less impact). In the second half they played virtually no football at all, and the introduction of Trevor Steven to play left wing, and allow Stuart Pearce to overlap, hardly helped. West Germany were unimpressive throughout (Thomas Haessler impressed, though, while he was on the field). Extra time provided more incident for the simple reason that everyone was knackered and huge tracts of space opened up. Overall, however, it reinforced a sense that in 1990 the world sank to England's level rather more than England elevated themselves.

Incubajerks

Feb 9, 2010
Roma
I’m rewatching this game, probably for the first time since watching it live, and I was quite young then. I remember the sweet Caniggia finish from a great setup by Maradona for the match winner, but from watching through the first half at least, Argentina had no business being in this match. Brazil thoroughly dominated the first 45 minutes. First 10 minutes of the second half is more of the same.

Maradona did all the work there I remember that like it was yesterday!

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I think Brazil/France 86 is a better game than France/Germany 82. In all aspects except maybe the drama.
Brazil/France had such a level of intensity, technical prowess, names on the pitch, physical exhaustion, etc...

Absolutely amazing game.

Reactions: gary69

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
Wasn't born yet but I recently rewatched Belgium v Argentina, the opening game of the '82 WC at the Nou Camp

Argentina came in defending their title, while Belgium would get their best results at the '80 EC (lost the final) and the '86 WC (4th place)
The general feeling was we'd have no chance but it ended up being one of the best games in the history of our NT where we completely neutralised Maradona and were the better team almost throughout the entire game. Only one goal was scored and on paper it will always look like a huge upset but anyone who saw that game will know there was only one team deserving to win.
Too bad the rest of that WC didn't amount to much as we went out after being shutout by Poland and the Soviets.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
A brilliant idea for a thread.

I mentioned previously watching Italy-Brazil from 1982. I thought that a superb game, and Italy struck me as good value for their win - albeit helped by dire Brazilian goalkeeping and Serginho leading the Brazil forward line like a lump. That Brazil team was exciting to watch, but by modern standards they looked almost devoid of structure in possession. If nothing else, there's historical interest in seeing the ridiculous amount of foul play Gentile was allowed to get away with, mostly towards Zico. A useful reminder of how little protection football gave even its biggest stars back then.

The game that broke my heart football wise and I never recovered really . Think of how many great strikers Brazil had for the following WC's (Careca, Romario, Ronaldo etc.) and for this tournament they had to go with bloody Serginho.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there

Argentina should have been out of the tournament much earlier, and they probably would have been, if faith hadn't intervened and Pumpido didn't have that freak injury and so they went with Sergio Goycoechea, who saved their sorry asses.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014

Poor decision having Zico take that penalty after just being subbed into the game. Maybe a poor choice not to have Zico starting in the first place. Was he unfit?

Bures Elbow

Nov 2, 2013
Uefa.tv has a plethora of matches you can watch in full, both at the International and club level.

I've gone through a few over the past couple months..

Some legendary matches include:

Portugal - France Euro 2000 semi-final
Portugal-England Euro 2000
Manchester United 4-3 Real Madrid 2003
AC Milan 3-3 Liverpool (PK) 2005 CL final
Holland 2-3 Czech Republic Euro 2004
Holland 2-0 USSR Euro 1988
Germany 1-2 Italy Euro 2012
Real Madrid 4-1 Juventus 2017
AC Milan 3-0 Manchester United 2007

Ad

Upcoming events