Class of 2012: Sakic, Sundin, Oates and Bure

Czech Your Math

I am lizard king
Jan 25, 2006
bohemia
Lack of appropriate NHL arenas limited the size of the NHL so we have an artificially perceived smaller NHL player pool pre 1967 and we have a situation where players of HHOF quality - see Harry Watson 1924 Olympic star amongst many choosing a business career or retiring early to go into business or professions.

I don't see the total NHL player pool as directly related to the number of teams in the league. IOW, if today's league suddenly shrunk, they are still drawing from the same group of players.

That's a perceptive point that a smaller league may affect the player pool in other ways. As you said, some potential players may choose other careers and was likely compounded by salaries being less than other professions. Others may quit after being afforded limited or no opportunity due to a smaller league. This only decreased the talent pool further in earlier eras, but it's difficult to quantify the magnitude of that effect.

Re Quebec - some more of your typical false assumptions and conclusions. Stanstead College has had a very good hockey program for years, very old arena. Mark Jankowski put the school and the hockey program in the forefront this past season. Their summer hockey school was always first come first served. Russians wanted to come over because their system was lacking. Good business at Stanstead saw the expansion to include the Russians and increase Canadian participation as a result. win-win.

I think you're saying that I assumed that Russians had been attending hockey school in Quebec before this summer... but that they have not. If they haven't, I'm sorry for assuming they had. This really wouldn't change my conclusion that I would generally expect prospects in more recent years to have access to the things that would help them develop as hockey players (ice time, equipment, coaching, etc.) due to an increase in seemingly relevant factors (wealth of nations, increases in technology, etc.).

In the sixties/seventies when Quebec was building youth hockey rinks people from the USA came to learn and they adapted and improved our model to include multi-rink facilities. Youth hockey arena tends to a 40-50 year life expectancy before renovations or rebuilds are needed. Quebec is approaching that limit. Some of the new facilities - Stanstead Pat Burns Arena Complex are evidence. Just a question of the arena life cycle.

Certainly if various cities/provinces/states/countries do not continue to build and/or replace hockey rinks, then it will affect the development of hockey prospects. You certainly have more knowledge in this area than I and this whole topic (factors affecting the total pool of players available to the NHL) is probably deserving of its own thread at some point (if there hasn't already been one).

Thanks for sharing your knowledge on the topic, I am sorry for any genuine misunderstandings. I am happy to consider any contrary opinion based on real facts, such as those you provided in this post.

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
1978 Sittler and the Leafs(92 pts) swept Dionne and the Kings(77 pts) in two games in the prelimenary best of three.If Dionne had led the Kings to an upset you might have a point but he was held scoreless in the two games while Sittler had two assists, first two goals of game 2 in LA, a 4-0 Leafs win. Sittler's efforts and results were against better teams and better centers especially Bobby Clarke.Also he played quality defense but Dionne did not.

Upsets? In 1982 Marcel Dionne's Kings (63 points; 24-41-15; 5th worst in NHL) defeated Gretzky's Oilers (111 points; 48-17-15; 2nd in NHL) in the first round of the playoffs. You could argue that this series was the greatest upset in NHL history.

The third game of that series ("Miracle on Manchester") might be greatest upset in a single game in NHL history. The Oilers held a 5-0 lead with 18 minutes left in the third period, and Dionne's Kings scored six consecutive unanswered goals (the last in overtime) to take a 2-1 series lead. Dionne had two assists, including on the game-tying goal at 19:55 of the third period.

Overall, Dionne had 4 goals and 3 assists in 5 games against the #2 team in the NHL. I realize that this is not at all representative of Dionne's playoff career, but it's hard to imagine a player making a more significant contribution to such a historic upset.

This is easily more impressive than Sittler's Leafs beating a team that finished 15 points lower in the standings.

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
Let's look at the actual numbers from the former USSR:

http://www.hockey-reference.com/pla...4stat=&c4comp=gt&c4val=&order_by=games_played

Czechoslovakia:
http://www.hockey-reference.com/pla...4stat=&c4comp=gt&c4val=&order_by=games_played

1990-91 out of 15 USSR players 5 were defensemen. Actually dispropotionately favouring defensemen not skilled forwards.

Likewise for Czechoslovakia 6 out of 21 were defensemen, a distribution that reflects a team of skaters. Not biased towards forwards.Talent level was across the board from HHOF quality, 1st - 4th liners, 1-6 dmen, to a cup of coffee types.

Your initial portrayal was far from accurate.

Lots of old Russian forwards and very young Czech ones but once again you forgot to include the huge increase in skill and production form the US whcih is a stark contrast to sittlers day
http://www.hockey-reference.com/pla...val=&c4stat=&c4comp=gt&c4val=&order_by=points

And just 3 years later in 94 we see the 1st of the real flood of talented forwards making their mark in the integrated NHL

From Russia

http://www.hockey-reference.com/pla...val=&c4stat=&c4comp=gt&c4val=&order_by=points

the Czechs

Sweden

and the ever more important US

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
This is easily more impressive than Sittler's Leafs beating a team that finished 15 points lower in the standings.

...no, nor is it as impressive as Wishbone Ash's ability to employ not one but three lead guitarists in a single set & session.

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
I'm pretty sure that's not what he's talking about. "opportunity" is a place to play, not a place to play that can support NHL hockey. It matters not if there are NHL-caliber arenas out there, if there are no grassroots arenas where young players can develop.

Another red herring.

Speaking of C1958 and red herrings, the number of high school aged boys playing football has exploded in Quebec in recent times but there are still some really talented players coming out of the Q, although to be fair some of them are from the states and Maritmes which are newer feeders to the NHL talent pool.

There is more at play than simply numbers but quality of advanced elite programs has had it's impact on the NHL.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Sittler to Dionne Comparable

Upsets? In 1982 Marcel Dionne's Kings (63 points; 24-41-15; 5th worst in NHL) defeated Gretzky's Oilers (111 points; 48-17-15; 2nd in NHL) in the first round of the playoffs. You could argue that this series was the greatest upset in NHL history.

The third game of that series ("Miracle on Manchester") might be greatest upset in a single game in NHL history. The Oilers held a 5-0 lead with 18 minutes left in the third period, and Dionne's Kings scored six consecutive unanswered goals (the last in overtime) to take a 2-1 series lead. Dionne had two assists, including on the game-tying goal at 19:55 of the third period.

Overall, Dionne had 4 goals and 3 assists in 5 games against the #2 team in the NHL. I realize that this is not at all representative of Dionne's playoff career, but it's hard to imagine a player making a more significant contribution to such a historic upset.

You introduced the Dionne to Sittler comparable in the playoffs and I replied in kind illustrating that head to head Sittler and the Leafs bested Dionne and the Kings.

Now you introduce Dionne vs Gretzky in 1982, Interesting upset but Dionne was outplayed by Gretzky - 5G and 7A so the lack of defensive contribution from Dionne was in keeping with his career profile. If you could show that the result was attributable to the Kings or Dionne's defense shutting down, outplaying or limiting Gretzky like Sittler did against Clarke or against Larouche/Apps or Dionne in 1978 then you might have a case but the numbers simply do not point in that direction.

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
...no, nor is it as impressive as Wishbone Ash's ability to employ not one but three lead guitarists in a single set & session.

:yo:

Glad to see another Wishbone Ash fan. Hard to beat dual and triple lead guitars (Wishbone Ash, Thin Lizzy, Iron Maiden, 1980's King Crimson, etc).

You introduced the Dionne to Sittler comparable in the playoffs and I replied in kind illustrating that head to head Sittler and the Leafs bested Dionne and the Kings.

Now you introduce Dionne vs Gretzky in 1982, Interesting upset but Dionne was outplayed by Gretzky - 5G and 7A so the lack of defensive contribution from Dionne was in keeping with his career profile. If you could show that the result was attributable to the Kings or Dionne's defense shutting down, outplaying or limiting Gretzky like Sittler did against Clarke or against Larouche/Apps or Dionne in 1978 then you might have a case but the numbers simply do not point in that direction.

My point was that you can find a few examples in every player's career where they play well above expectations. You have demonstrated that Sittler played very well against Clarke and the Flyers. That's commendable, but it represents a small number of games in his career. I was attempting to show that even someone like Dionne, a player with a horrible playoff reputation, has strong performances if you look at a small number of carefully selected games.

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
an "appropriate arena" as far as a 7-year old who wants to play hockey is concerned, is a frozen pool of water, natural or artificial, indoor or outdoor. I was one of those not that long ago.

This was the 1st thing that came to my mind as well as ball hockey for those of us out west where ice is seldom.

Many elite players from the past came from small towns with little distraction from hockey and lately alot of the top draft picks have come from large centers with elite hockey programs.

This trend is quite apparent in BC at least.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Forwards Skill and Production

Lots of old Russian forwards and very young Czech ones but once again you forgot to include the huge increase in skill and production form the US whcih is a stark contrast to sittlers day

And just 3 years later in 94 we see the 1st of the real flood of talented forwards making their mark in the integrated NHL

From Russia

the Czechs

Sweden

and the ever more important US

The old undefined Skill and Production argument that you throw around but never define. I'll be an easy grader and define Skill and Production as at least 0.4 PPG for forwards.1966-67 season 2/3 of the NHl forwards met this standard.

The super skilled players of the last generation that you favour should thrive with such easy standards.

Sadly the forwards (even though the data you submitted includes defensemen) do not come close to meeting 1966-67 standards of skill and production for NHL forwards. The countries you listed for the 1993-94 season featured a majority of forwards well below 0.4PPG. There was no gain in Skill and Production rather there was a drop or loss.

Now we fast forward to the 2011-12 season:

The number of forwards from the Soviet Union has decreased to 23, yet 12, or more than 1/2 topped 0.4 PPG. The GMs in the NHL caught on to the fact that the Sill and Production was not there and simply stopped signing the players from the Soviet Union who did not show Skill and Production. Yet, overall Soviet born or elsewhere Forward Skill and Production is not up to 1966-67 NHL standards.

Bringing things full cycle, regardless of the ethnic ingredients that various posters may throw into the pot, the Sittler / Sundin discussion is simply about the merits of two hockey players.Etnic origin is the real red herring in the discussion.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Sadly the forwards (even though the data you submitted includes defensemen) do not come close to meeting 1966-67 standards of skill and production for NHL forwards. The countries you listed for the 1993-94 season featured a majority of forwards well below 0.4PPG. There was no gain in Skill and Production rather there was a drop or loss.

....or maybe all the players were more skilled, but the skill increase was disproportionately in the goalies and/or defensemen? Or it was the beginning of a greater focus on defense? I can't believe what I'm reading here.

Czech Your Math

I am lizard king
Jan 25, 2006
bohemia
....or maybe all the players were more skilled, but the skill increase was disproportionately in the goalies and/or defensemen? Or it was the beginning of a greater focus on defense? I can't believe what I'm reading here.

Really? I'm never surprised by the depths to which some will go to stay ignorant.

If you limit it to forwards which played a substantial portion of the season, then the overseas forwards appear plenty skilled as measured by PPG.

Dalton

Aug 26, 2009
Ho Chi Minh City
No it is not. There are two polar opposite ways to compare players of the past to players of the present and they are both deeply flawed:

The first is, since our eyes tell us that NHL players today are clearly better across the board in every aspect of hockey skill, to simply say “the more modern player is better. Automatically. Because you have to be better to play in today’s bigger, stronger, faster NHLâ€.

The second is to simply compare raw stats from bygone eras where scoring was higher (or lower) and make sweeping assumptions based on that – such as “100 points is 100 points no matter when you score it†or “players were better, that’s why scoring was higherâ€.

You are much more towards the latter.

In the middle we have a level playing field. One where “the best is the best, regardless of the era†and players are compared relative to their peers on the basis of how close they were to being the best of their time and how often/for how long they did so. This is the concept that you pooh-pooh using cryptic quotes from a study that has nothing to do with this conversation.

No, adjusted stats are not advanced math, nor are they perfect, but they get us much closer to the truth than raw stats.

One fact that is impossible to deny is that Wins are what every player is trying to achieve. In any era, goals are the currency you trade to earn wins. In some eras, you need more goals to buy wins. The number of wins on the market doesn’t change but with the market flooded with goals, goals become less valuable. It’s ridiculous to compare raw numbers and pretend that it is “comparing them against their peersâ€.

The bolded is just flat out wrong.

All three of these players played on an Island in Toronto.

In his five-year peak with the Leafs, the team had an average ES GF:GA ratio of 1.01 with him off the ice, in other words, slightly positive.

In Gilmour’s five-year peak with the Leafs, the team’s ratio with Gilmour off the ice was 0.85. Horrible.

In Sundin’s 11-year peak with the Leafs, the team’s ratio with him off the ice averaged 1.01, just like Sittler. They had higher highs – 1999, 2002 – but also lower lows – 1997, 1998, 2006, 2008.

Isn’t it interesting how that worked, then? According to your eyes one was a whirling dervish and one was a dump it in type, yet the dump it in type conclusively produced more points relative to his era? How on earth did that happen?

What records? Single game records? *yawn*

No you really didn’t. You presented raw numbers; this doesn’t prove how they compared to their peers.

If you seriously think that Gilmour didn’t match up to Sittler then you are suffering from serious oldtimer bias.

You haven’t addressed how easy it was to score hat tricks in Sittler’s era, and you haven’t explained how the SOG record should be taken seriously a all.

There is zero context here whatsoever. You are talking about a guy in a 17-team league as opposed to 26-30, a guy who had no Europeans or top WHAers to compete against compared to a guy who had the very best in the world in his NHL, and a guy who played when nearly everyone made the playoffs to a guy who played when just half the teams did.

I would take Sundin’s 7th and two 11th-place seasons over Sittler’s 8, 8, 9 without a second thought.

Explain who is adding imaginary players.

Oh man, this is just gold. Sittler has 12 solid Leaf seasons and Sundin has 9?

So you’re saying Sittler’s 1971 and 1972 seasons were solid, but 4 of Sundin’s weren’t? I don’t know which four you are excluding, but in all of them he had at least 0.9 PPG so I’d be interested to know why those aren’t “solid†but Sittler’s 1971 and 1972 are.

That’s exactly what we’re doing – looking at what Sittler did in his career vs. Sundin. Let me just remind you what a few great posters have said in this thread:

HockeyOutsider: Sittler's regular season PPG is higher by about 2%, and his playoff PPG is higher by about 8%. Given that Sundin played in an era that was around 10-15% lower scoring, this is an advantage for Sundin.

TheDevilMadeMe: Sundin has more longevity as an elite player than Sittler, and I can't believe anyone would argue otherwise.

CzechYourMath: In this case, in all but their career years (and then it's close), the adjusted data suggests that Sundin was the better offensive player during the regular season. How much better is up for debate, but the edge is there and it only becomes clearer as the number of seasons considered is increased…. Sundin was generally and more consistently productive during the regular season. He was very good for much longer within more various environments and with more various linemates & teammates…. Sittler was generally less productive than Sundin during the regular season… once you go past their peaks, Sundin was clearly the more valuable and consistent player IMO.

The points he scored are somehow more important even though there were less of them relative to his era?

You know, that doesn’t really jive with the other stuff you’re spouting about his single game achievements. Blowout points are less important, not more.

You’re the only one who isn’t seeing what the stats are clearly saying.

It really has been great comic relief having you bring up this study so many times in the thread as though it means anything to this discussion. We aren’t talking about human performance, we are talking about statistics, which, to use C1958s excellent terminology, are the residue of their performance. You’re hiding behind this study to appear more intelligent but in the end it is just an excuse to use flawed method of era comparison #2 instead of getting to the bottom of who was the more significant player in their era which is the underlying theme of all era comparisons in this section.

Are you going to bother addressing anything from yesterday, or are you dodging the following:

- How is small parts of single seasons with Gilmour and Mogilny the same as playing 4+ seasons with a prime Lanny McDonald?
- Why should we consider single game exploits impressive in the all-time legacy of a player?
- How did Sittler win the Mark Messier leadership award?
- What does this have to do with bell curves, standard deviations, z-scores and percentiles, and why does this make the study relevant? Be specific.
- Your problem with me “removing outliers†is actually to your detriment because if I didn’t, Sundin would hold a greater edge in my comparison method
- How on earth can anyone think Gilmour is not as good as Sittler?
- Why does anyone who has made any effort to compare the value of offensive production from one era to another concluded that Sundin was a significantly better producer? What makes them wrong and you right?
- Why doesn’t the era matter when discussing the number of hat tricks each player posted?
- Why does a shots on goal record matter?
- How do you get to remove a whole season for Sundin and not for Sittler? And how do you feel about the fact that even if you do, Sundin’s career still looks better?
- What’s more impressive? Looking better or producing more?
- Who is adding imaginary players? Be specific to back up the very pointed language that you used.
- How many more incorrect “facts†are you going to post? First there was the number of seasons they each played, then the number of hat tricks they posted (which was deliberately misleading), then the part about game 7 victories, then the number of PPG seasons each player had, then Sundin’s ranking in points in his best season, the number of top-30 seasons each player had, and then that Gilmour and Sundin had better surroundings as Leafs than Sittler had. Then you grossly miscounted the number of “solid seasons†each of them had as Leafs. Where will it end?

The reason I didn't respond to your last mega post was that there was very little to respond to. Just like this one.

Your argument boils down to 'You don't get it do you bud?, My buddies and I have figured this thing out. Hence everything you say is laughable and/or obtuse"

You are simply refusing to acknowledge my argument. What's there to respond to and why would I bother?

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Knee Jerk Logic

Surprised by your knee jerk logic.

First the issue presented and replied to touched forwards. So the response concentrated on forwards.

The 0.4 PPG measure does not discriminate by ethnic origin, and is fair for all eras once the NHL went to a 70 game or greater scheduled regular season.

If we look at the 1952-53 NHL season data, 4.79 TG/G:

The Canadian forwards did quite poorly by this Skill and Production measure. Yet by 1966-67 the Skill and Production levels had increased to levels where expansion was viable.

If we look at the seasons addressed and the TG/G league average, we see the following:

1966-67: 5.96 TG/G
1993-94: 6.48 TG/G
2011-12: 5.47 TG/G

You and others have stated that the currency of hockey is goals. So the basic offensive strategy is to get the puck to the player who is most likely to score a goal while defensive strategy concentrates on keeping the puck away from the better goal scorers.

The TG/G measure puts your suggestion about defensemen, goalies disproportionately increasing skills to rest.

The 2011-12 Canadian forwards in the NHL fare rather poorly compared to their 1966-67 counterparts:

But this has been my point all along.

BTW the 1967 expansion produced a 1967-68 season where app. 55% of the Canadian forwards passed.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Funny

Really? I'm never surprised by the depths to which some will go to stay ignorant.

If you limit it to forwards which played a substantial portion of the season, then the overseas forwards appear plenty skilled as measured by PPG.

Substantial part of the season, yet you refuse to put forth a specific number of games to define substantial. Hiding behind semantics when challenged by numbers?

Hockey is based on meritocracy. Players earn ice time and games by performance or showing Skill and Production. In other words the weak get exposed quickly and desposed just as fast.

Rob Scuderi

Sep 3, 2009
Population. This argument is polluted by referring to players by league or ethnic origin. Reduced to the basics it comes down to the top 10, 100, 1,000 or whatever is the number of the hour for a given era. Assuming that the top 100 hockey players in 1960 were in the NHL is not supportable. Easily 15-20% were outside the NHL but either did not have the versitility of multiple positions, were not willing to adapt their game or were held back by circumstances.

If Salming, Thommie Bergmann, Inge Hammerstrom played in the NHL, I fail to see how Sundin would not have, had he been born 20 years earlier. Your All-Star and Scoring top five analogy over the last twenty years is raw. You presented it so you obviously thought it fair.Yet it is out of context and weak.

Taking China's economic performance from the last 20 years and project back 40, 60, 80, 100 years arguing that it would have been the same will raise a few chuckles.Same goes for hockey players and trying to link ethnic origin to performance. Likewise anyone presenting a raw Sittler/Sundin comparison, thinks it is fair.

Readers can readily decide on their own if presentations are fair.

This post seems to rest on a few of its own flawed concepts. You certainly already understand how economics impacted the quality of players, so why is it so hard to account for the political factors that provide a similar impact?

You addressed a few Swedes that played in the NHL during Sittler's time, but what about the other European countries who's top players were unable to leave?

I mean you brought up even more controversial examples of what limited the talent pool, citing refusal to switch positions, unable to adapt, or the vacuous "other circumstances."

Those are fine, but governments restricting their citizens from emigrating is somehow misguided?

Dalton

Aug 26, 2009
Ho Chi Minh City
Absolutely I would like to read your paper. Thanks for the offer. I'd feel much better having the possibility of contributing (not promising or predicting) than just knocking this thing. PM me and we'll figure something out?

I'm not in favor of the % of the top X players or % of Yth placed player for a couple of reasons. First, there ARE outliers, which leaves the choice of removing outliers (which has a very significant effect in this type of study) or having data massively skewed by large outlier(s). Second, random variation can significantly affect the season to season results. Third, the competition is not equal from season to season, especially when looking at players separated by decades.

Leveling the playing field is NOT the error. The error is that I don't believe the playing field is nearly close to level after such an adjustment. It is still too dependent on not just outliers, but their linemates/teammates, random error, and other dynamics.

I disagree. I think this paper clearly demonstrates that manipulating the data in that way leads to huge errors and reflects an inherent sociological bias that they have refuted. I would argue that a different approach is in order. The reason being that the old appraoch no longer has any merit. My percieved obtuseness should be enough evidence for that. LOL. Levelling the playing field is the bias. I believe they are arguing that the outliers should be the focus of attention. Current methods focus on the mean and attempt to rectify variance by adjusting the outliers. The authors refute this approach.

A better method might be to compare the outliers like Gretzky seasons in order to compare seasons or eras. I would argue that including outliers that didn't exist complicates the debate to a degree that might lead to absurdities or paralyze the debate altogether.

Every debate needs a beginning so what would be the result of calculating the actual percentage of NHL goals scored by the top 20% of goal scorers? This number would vary according to extreme outliers. This number can be calculated within that group as a percentage of goals scored by the group. This would of course identify extreme outliers within the group. Would this not be a more meaningful way of identifying weak and strong years? It's infinitely more sophisticated than dividing by 82. I believe it should be consistent with the study.

I have mixed feelings about HR.com's stats. It's a vast improvement over raw data and a comprehensive, common resource than all can access, so provides common ground for potential agreement. OTOH, their methodologies do contain significant flaws IMO. I emailed them a couple years ago about a basic flaw in how they calculated Goals Created and never received any response. Their attempts are admirable, but I do find flaw with the nuts and bolts of their calculations. These flaws vary from relatively minor (Goals Created) to significant (Adjusted Points) to massive (Point Shares).

It has some merit as you say but I see it as fantasy hockey calculations. Bar talk. I think this board has potential to take over that role. A persistant, tightly moderated debate could eventually produce results. I'm thinking sticky, no :yo: level comments allowed at all and after all this board isn't going anywhere. These things take time. The cultural change is the most difficult. Especially when no one is managing it.

Without considering the massive disparity in context (in this case, competition) between Sittler's era and Sundin's era, such comparisons are probably more misleading than useful IMO.

Considering the alternatives I'm quite satisfied with comparing to peers. But I think one must consider that NHL and O6 team records transcend a single season's competition value. Not to mention his performances in the playoffs. Remember or perhaps I need to clarify that I'm talking about a player rising to the ocassion in an era that the playoffs were pretty hard to miss. I think his third place finish is the only year that he pushed hard for the whole season. The fact that he, Trottier and LaFleur stand out as extreme outliers is valid. It's a dominance that Sundin never got close to. He had more chances than Sittler to do so. 12 seasons to 9. Not to mention the whole of his career.

I don't agree that adding imaginary outliers adds anything to the debate. What's missing is an adequate method of comparing the top 20% and the top 20% within that group to other seasons.

Consider that the arguments I've seen so far just indicate a bias for Sundin. But this guy was injured and that guy was... a lot of bullcrap. A more proper response would be to argue that Sundin was better offensively and why. If he truly was then the content of the argument wouldn't matter. But all I hear is excuses for why Sundin didn't do what Sittler did and excuses for why Sittler did what he did. This is very poor argument. The ad hominems speak for themselves and together all this tends to give me confidence in my argument.

There's two separate issues about competition which I will address.

First, there is a variation in competition due to demographics and randomness. There's always competition, but just how good was it? This becomes less important the further down the ladder you go, but at the very top it can still vary quite significantly. Even before considering other factors (e.g. WHA, no Euros), I think much of the 70's was on the weak end for scoring forward competition. There were generally at least a couple top scorers at any one time (Espo/Orr... Lafleur/Dionne, et al), but it only became tougher with the emergence of Trottier, Bossy towards the end of the peaks of Lafleur and Dionne, and soon after Gretzky & company. Contrast that to the early 60's when there were players like Howe, Hull, Mikita, Beliveau, Geoffrion, Bathgate, etc. competing and there is a significant difference.

Second, competition varies due to the hockey population radically changing at times. When players go to the WHA, the NHL & WHA merge, or European/Russian (and more gradually U.S.) players are suddenly participating in great numbers... then it drastically alters the population of hockey players. To deny this is futile, as anyone with a logical, open mind can see this clearly. No one is "adding imaginary players," because the players did in fact exist. Sundin was just one of many, real players that had he been born 20 years earlier, would very likely not have been playing in the NHL in Sittler's time. It doesn't matter if USSR/Europe did not have players of NHL quality back in Sittler's day or before (and most can attest that they did have many). All that matters is these players do exist, did play in the NHL in exponentially greater numbers in the past two decades, and had a huge impact on the competitiveness of the NHL and the rankings of various players within the NHL. When you realize that in the past 20 years, almost half of the All-Star selections at forward and top 5 finishes in goals/points belong to players born overseas, then how is a raw comparison of Sittler and Sundin's rankings close to fair?

The bolded statement is not an argument. It's a 'you know what I mean' proof, a nod to the Euclidean error of proofs. :D

The players existed but not in the NHL. We can only speculate as to how they would have performed in the NHL. This line of reasoning is fraut with assumptions and IMO does nothing to further the debate. We need a method to demonstrate how players across leagues compare. We can't just accept eyeball tests or I would have won this debate long ago. As would others with differing opinions. That's an absurdity. Those overseas outliers and their WHL brethren had less competition than the NHL players. One cannot simply assume that Sittler would score less or that any of them could have closed the 20 point gap between Sittler and Lemaire and passed Sittler that year. We don't know how that Sittler would have compared to players that didn't compete in the NHL. We don't know what teams they would have played for or who their team mates would be or whether they suffer an injury or whether they have an off year or whether they have difficulty adjusting to the pace, the increased competition, the cultural challenges, the wear and tear. Maybe stiffer competetion motivates Sittler even more and he scores more. Imaginary data or players does not improve the debate. It just speaks to bias. One needs an awful lot of outliers to overcome the short list of assumptions and actually impact Sittler's result in a meaningful way. I don't accept imaginary data no matter how it is presented.

There's no hate of Sittler that I can see. Some simply don't share your opinion. That's the problem with opinions supported mostly/solely by the "eye test" and/or the "opinions" of others (e.g. AS/trophy votes)... everyone has them and don't seem apt to change them (and won't in the case of past votes). More importantly, they won't convince those who rely on solid evidence as a foundation for comparing players. It's not that such "eye tests", opinions and fuzzy memories are not valuable, but that anyone can say "Dion Phaneuf is the best defenseman that has ever played hockey." How would you refute that? With what your eyes saw? But my eyes saw differently. With data? But math, data and logic is voodoo.

I'm not saying Sittler wasn't more than the numbers suggest. However, the data is the starting point and IMO those who disagree with the data must either:

- show valid reasons why the data is incorrect
- show valid reasons why the data should be interpreted differently
- use other valid data to present Sittler's case
- suggest reasons that data does not give full/fair picture, which can in turn be substantiated by some data

I agree there's no hate of Sittler. I wasn't definitively suggesting there was one.

Opinions have to be substantiated. I have presented data in context that supports my eyeballs and recollections that Sittler was a more dynamic offensive player.
It's circumstantial but on the whole it adds up to support my argument. The data I've presented represents NHL and O6 records. These are independant of era or non-existant Russian and WHA NHLers. Others have shown Sittler's playoffs domination over Sundin. Since I'm saying Sittler is better because he rose to the occasion offensively I'd think that setting offensive records against the best teams and players of his era as well as his playoff performance does a pretty god job of justifying my eyeballs and recollections. We also have other data to refute the fluke argument. His placement against his peers in scoring compared to Sundin' who had 3 extra seasons includng 4 years experience on Sittler with the Leafs.

But by the same token refutations also must achieve some standard.
-Fantasy hockey math admittedly contains a bias that has been refuted. Argue with the authors.
-Adding data contains assumptions that must also be justified in the context of the year or era in question. The 'you know what I mean argument' was refuted centuries ago. See Euclid.
-Inherent bias toward normalization manifested by adjusting outliers that has been refuted by a massive study must be accounted for by more than just stubborn rhetoric.
-Making excuses for one player's success and another player's lack of the same success is not a good argument. It evades the more proper argument showing that Sundin was better offensively. Why that approach?

The curve is simply a form of ranking/comparing things. If you wish to eliminate all distinctions, then you can dismiss the curve as unnecessary. What are the main ways we can compare players:

- the "eye test" (certainly no chance of bias there)
- the "group of eyes" (i.e. voting) test (certainly sportswriters are never wrong)
- how players ranked amongst their peers (however competition varies)
- how players performed on a more "absolute" level (however raw data is flawed and so the need for adjustment of some kind)

BTW, you can look at a study I did to improve on adjusted numbers for top tier forwards, so that their adjusted numbers are more easily comparable. You won't like the results, but thought you might find it interesting

The eyeball and memory test seem to be the only substantiation for the claim that adding Euro and WHA players would alter the actual result of an NHL season. That argument fails your test. Does Hull score 77 goals in a fully integrated NHL? If not then how many? You must answer that question before you can definitively say what his impact on Sittler's results would be. Same thing for all the other imaginary NHLers. 'You know' doesn't cut it.

As I indicated I think a better method for comparing era's is needed. It must be focused on the outliers. It can't in any way be dependant on normaliztion or more specifically the cultural bias that is manifested by normalization. The authors of the study offer guidelines.

BTW This study absolutely applies. There is no doubt. We are attempting to measure and predict performance.

"Thus, our results have implications for all theories and applications that directly or indirectly address the performance of individual workers including performance measurement and management, utility analysis in preemployment testing and training and development, personnel selection, leadership, and the prediction of performance, among others."

Don't get hung up on the word 'individual' I can easily quote the studies relevance to groups and the workplace as a whole. An interesting point about this study is that it could be referenced to support the crazy contracts that some say spoil the NHL at this time of year. At the end IIRC.

I can't quote a specific reference about the cultural normalization bias and how it manifests itself in analysis like this debate. That's the whole paper!

Don't forget to PM me about your study. I'd be interested in what you mailed Hockey.reference.com too.

Last edited:

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Comparables

This post seems to rest on a few of its own flawed concepts. You certainly already understand how economics impacted the quality of players, so why is it so hard to account for the political factors that provide a similar impact?

You addressed a few Swedes that played in the NHL during Sittler's time, but what about the other European countries who's top players were unable to leave?

I mean you brought up even more controversial examples of what limited the talent pool, citing refusal to switch positions, unable to adapt, or the vacuous "other circumstances."

Those are fine, but governments restricting their citizens from emigrating is somehow misguided?

Sundin is compared in context to other Swedes.

Never claimed their was a refusal to switch positions - some players just did not have the versitility. Example, Not all defensemen can play both sides LD and RD or a wing as forward while others like Bob Turner could so he made the NHL as did others since they could play the equivalent of 3 roster spots while the slightly better one position LD stayed in the minors.

True but does not enter discussions in other sports. Not a factor when discussing
basketball, boxing, track, etc. Boxing the great Lazlo Papp is judged on his merits.

Sittler played in International competitions - 1976 Canada Cup winning goal. 6 pts in 7 games playing LW - out of position, being one instance.There are sufficient moments in his career that give a picture of how he would adapt to International opponents, so your government position is misguided. The Soviet and Czech governments while not allowing players to leave did encourage and prepared their for competition against Canadian or NHL players.

Rob Scuderi

Sep 3, 2009
Sundin is compared in context to other Swedes.

Never claimed their was a refusal to switch positions - some players just did not have the versitility. Example, Not all defensemen can play both sides LD and RD or a wing as forward while others like Bob Turner could so he made the NHL as did others since they could play the equivalent of 3 roster spots while the slightly better one position LD stayed in the minors.

True but does not enter discussions in other sports. Not a factor when discussing
basketball, boxing, track, etc. Boxing the great Lazlo Papp is judged on his merits.

Sittler played in International competitions - 1976 Canada Cup winning goal. 6 pts in 7 games playing LW - out of position, being one instance.There are sufficient moments in his career that give a picture of how he would adapt to International opponents, so your government position is misguided. The Soviet and Czech governments while not allowing players to leave did encourage and prepared their for competition against Canadian or NHL players.

My apologies for calling it a refusal to switch positions, appreciate the correction.

The point of comparison was in the differences in league makeup between Sundin's and Sittler's, with one difference being the presence of Eastern Europeans in the former but not the latter. Not how Sundin compares to the Swedes of Sittler's era.

The question is less about Sittler would adapt to international competition and more how about that competition would adapt to the NHL (like they've done by Sundin's time).

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
My apologies for calling it a refusal to switch positions, appreciate the correction.

The point of comparison was in the differences in league makeup between Sundin's and Sittler's, with one difference being the presence of Eastern Europeans in the former but not the latter. Not how Sundin compares to the Swedes of Sittler's era.

The question is less about Sittler would adapt to international competition and more how about that competition would adapt to the NHL (like they've done by Sundin's time
).

Point was made that Sundin would not have played in the seventies NHL if he had been born earlier, hence the comparable to other Swedes.

The adaptation question is fully reciprocal, fully inclusive - individually and collectively.

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver

Exactly what I was thinking when I read C1958 post.

I'm not sure what is more frustrating, his "methodology" or our efforts to inform him on simple matters.

Czech Your Math

I am lizard king
Jan 25, 2006
bohemia
Absolutely I would like to read your paper. Thanks for the offer. I'd feel much better having the possibility of contributing (not promising or predicting) than just knocking this thing.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1177875&highlight=improve+adjusted+scoring

Levelling the playing field is the bias. I believe they are arguing that the outliers should be the focus of attention. Current methods focus on the mean and attempt to rectify variance by adjusting the outliers. The authors refute this approach.

The field of top forwards was not nearly the same during the respective eras of Sittler and Sundin. Therefore to compare how they finished among their peers without any context is not a level, or fair, comparison and is of minimal value.

A better method might be to compare the outliers like Gretzky seasons in order to compare seasons or eras. I would argue that including outliers that didn't exist complicates the debate to a degree that might lead to absurdities or paralyze the debate altogether.

I'm not sure exactly what you're driving at here. Again, no "outliers that didn't exist" are being imagined nor included. The additional outliers that did exist during Sundin's time are simply being acknowledged as important competition that did not exist in Sittler's time. It doesn't matter whether in Sittler's time, overseas players were inferior, or rarely playing by choice and/or some sort of barrier. All that matters is that they were for the most part a non-factor at that time, while in Sundin's time they were fierce competition at forward.

The only real alternative explanation for the rise of overseas/U.S. players is that the pool of Canadian hockey players has decreased by the appropriate amount to allow such. Please show me any substantial, valid reasons why the population of high quality Canadian hockey players was only 50-75% as large in the past 20 years as in Sittler's time.

The study I did examines how "outliers" of sorts (top tier players) performed from season to season. It does remove outliers (in the form of very large fluctuations in each direction) in order to have a more reliable result (using the median or middle half in terms of % change).

Every debate needs a beginning so what would be the result of calculating the actual percentage of NHL goals scored by the top 20% of goal scorers? This number would vary according to extreme outliers. This number can be calculated within that group as a percentage of goals scored by the group. This would of course identify extreme outliers within the group. Would this not be a more meaningful way of identifying weak and strong years? It's infinitely more sophisticated than dividing by 82. I believe it should be consistent with the study.

The result of such calculation wouldn't really depend on outliers of Gretzky's caliber. It would primarily depend on such factors as the depth of competition at various levels, how opportunity was divided amongst various types of players, and perhaps how players of different calibers are favored/disfavored by the environment at that time. If you create a clone of each NHL player and add them to the available player pool, the top 20% may score a similar or dissimilar proportion of goals, but in either case the top 20% would contain higher quality players (basically only players that would have been top 10% without the cloning).

It has some merit as you say but I see it as fantasy hockey calculations. Bar talk. I think this board has potential to take over that role. A persistant, tightly moderated debate could eventually produce results. I'm thinking sticky, no :yo: level comments allowed at all and after all this board isn't going anywhere. These things take time. The cultural change is the most difficult. Especially when no one is managing it.

I agree that without an attempt at proper methodology, adjusted data is not being properly applied. I like the idea of a sticky thread for data analysis and other topics, but that is likely up to the moderators and I don't know the criteria for such things.

Considering the alternatives I'm quite satisfied with comparing to peers. But I think one must consider that NHL and O6 team records transcend a single season's competition value. Not to mention his performances in the playoffs. Remember or perhaps I need to clarify that I'm talking about a player rising to the ocassion in an era that the playoffs were pretty hard to miss. I think his third place finish is the only year that he pushed hard for the whole season. The fact that he, Trottier and LaFleur stand out as extreme outliers is valid. It's a dominance that Sundin never got close to. He had more chances than Sittler to do so. 12 seasons to 9. Not to mention the whole of his career.

I don't agree that adding imaginary outliers adds anything to the debate. What's missing is an adequate method of comparing the top 20% and the top 20% within that group to other seasons.

I understand why one may prefer Sittler based on his peak playoff performances. Whether this negates Sundin's much higher production over almost any length of their careers depends on how one values such things, but apparently most believe Sundin's superior production over any period from 2-18 years overshadows Sittler's shorter and less consistent flashes of brilliance.

I don't see how Sittler's finishing third is so superior to Sundin finishing fourth. It was more of an "outlier" performance by each of them. I guess when the proponents of Sittler have proclaimed his superior leadership as an alleged reason, saying that he may have "tried harder" with more competition doesn't exactly sway me in his favor. Gretzky must have been bored to tears!

Consider that the arguments I've seen so far just indicate a bias for Sundin. But this guy was injured and that guy was... a lot of bullcrap. A more proper response would be to argue that Sundin was better offensively and why. If he truly was then the content of the argument wouldn't matter. But all I hear is excuses for why Sundin didn't do what Sittler did and excuses for why Sittler did what he did. This is very poor argument. The ad hominems speak for themselves and together all this tends to give me confidence in my argument.

There is no bias for Sundin that I can see. I think it's been a fair evaluation, although there may be an "outlier". Most people are attempting to put the accomplishments of each player in the proper context.

I don't know what you mean by "ad hominems". If you mean that I responded to being attacked and characterized as some sort of black magician trying to mislead others in an attempt to prove Sundin's superiority, then you should realize:

- I explained in depth my reasoning for preferring Sundin on the basis of their entire NHL/international careers
- I allowed room for one to choose Sittler based on his peak playoff performances
- I have been repeatedly attacked and accused by this poster, whose main defense is attack, distracting arguments and using any inconsequential error as "proof" that an argument is invalid and/or misleading. If you choose to follow in his footsteps, I will treat you similarly.

The players existed but not in the NHL. We can only speculate as to how they would have performed in the NHL. This line of reasoning is fraut with assumptions and IMO does nothing to further the debate. We need a method to demonstrate how players across leagues compare. We can't just accept eyeball tests or I would have won this debate long ago. As would others with differing opinions. That's an absurdity. Those overseas outliers and their WHL brethren had less competition than the NHL players. One cannot simply assume that Sittler would score less or that any of them could have closed the 20 point gap between Sittler and Lemaire and passed Sittler that year. We don't know how that Sittler would have compared to players that didn't compete in the NHL. We don't know what teams they would have played for or who their team mates would be or whether they suffer an injury or whether they have an off year or whether they have difficulty adjusting to the pace, the increased competition, the cultural challenges, the wear and tear. Maybe stiffer competetion motivates Sittler even more and he scores more. Imaginary data or players does not improve the debate. It just speaks to bias. One needs an awful lot of outliers to overcome the short list of assumptions and actually impact Sittler's result in a meaningful way. I don't accept imaginary data no matter how it is presented.

The players existed in Sundin's time. I don't understand the bolded sentence, but otherwise it seems you are imagining that there are "imaginary" players and presuming that Sittler's performance relative to his peers would improve with basically double the competition.

I agree there's no hate of Sittler. I wasn't definitively suggesting there was one.

Opinions have to be substantiated. I have presented data in context that supports my eyeballs and recollections that Sittler was a more dynamic offensive player.
It's circumstantial but on the whole it adds up to support my argument. The data I've presented represents NHL and O6 records. These are independant of era or non-existant Russian and WHA NHLers. Others have shown Sittler's playoffs domination over Sundin. Since I'm saying Sittler is better because he rose to the occasion offensively I'd think that setting offensive records against the best teams and players of his era as well as his playoff performance does a pretty god job of justifying my eyeballs and recollections. We also have other data to refute the fluke argument. His placement against his peers in scoring compared to Sundin' who had 3 extra seasons includng 4 years experience on Sittler with the Leafs.

You suggested a widespread bias for Sundin and I don't believe that to be the case. You also don't seem to appreciate that others don't hold single game performances as the most reliable indicator of superiority. In that case, Sittler would be considered better than anyone offensively? If you choose not to even attempt to put the respective players' achievements in some sort of proper context, then you should realize that here many would consider that "bar talk." Incessantly repeating that there are imaginary players only displays your inability to grasp the concept being explained for you with great patience, not that your argument is logical.

But by the same token refutations also must achieve some standard.
-Fantasy hockey math admittedly contains a bias that has been refuted. Argue with the authors.
-Adding data contains assumptions that must also be justified in the context of the year or era in question. The 'you know what I mean argument' was refuted centuries ago. See Euclid.
-Inherent bias toward normalization manifested by adjusting outliers that has been refuted by a massive study must be accounted for by more than just stubborn rhetoric.
-Making excuses for one player's success and another player's lack of the same success is not a good argument. It evades the more proper argument showing that Sundin was better offensively. Why that approach?

First, you may (or may not) be interested to know that posters such as HockeyOutsider and myself (and presumably others) had indepedently developed the concept of "adjusted scoring" and had made some calculations based on such, before HockeyReference was even in existence (AFAIK). It's not so remarkable, being that the concept is founded in simple logic and what should be relatively basic math. As stated previously, HR.com is simply referred to as a common resource and reference point. However, it is not considered by many of us to be an unquestioned authority on the proper methodology.

As far as stubborn rhetoric, I would hope most posters understand the difference between that and a logical, reasoned argument based on fact and data. Refusal to acknowledge and use simple fact and logic falls more in the category of "stubborn rhetoric".

The eyeball and memory test seem to be the only substantiation for the claim that adding Euro and WHA players would alter the actual result of an NHL season. That argument fails your test. Does Hull score 77 goals in a fully integrated NHL? If not then how many? You must answer that question before you can definitively say what his impact on Sittler's results would be. Same thing for all the other imaginary NHLers. 'You know' doesn't cut it.

As I indicated I think a better method for comparing era's is needed. It must be focused on the outliers. It can't in any way be dependant on normaliztion or more specifically the cultural bias that is manifested by normalization. The authors of the study offer guidelines.

Don't forget to PM me about your study. I'd be interested in what you mailed Hockey.reference.com too.

In regards to Hull repeating his 1991(?) performances in a "more integrated NHL" is as follows:

- He likely would have been similarly affected by whichever factors precipitated the decline in league-wide scoring shortly after that period, in which case his raw "goals" would be expected to drop somewhat proportionally (although perhaps not quite that much, since 1991 was a relatively "tough" year for top scorers on an already adjusted basis).

- He would have faced the additional competition from overseas forwards. In the case of his '91 performance, it was such an "outlier" (outstanding) performance, that he probably would lead the league in goals in any of the following years.

My study seems to at least partially address some of the very issues you are talking about in comparing across eras. It does not "normalize" anything, in the sense that it does not assume a "normal" distribution of players. It studies the outliers (top tier forwards) from one season to the next, uses their actual performance (in adjusted terms, but basically the very same results would be seen using "actual" PPG) from one season to the next, and finally links the "year over year" results to obtain numbers which can be utilized over longer periods. I'd prefer any comments or questions pertaining to that study to be posted in the original thread for that topic.

I don't want to get into specifics such as "how many goals would 1991 Hull score in Year X." However, the results of the study can be used to provide a very educated guess as to what that would be.

Last edited:

Czech Your Math

I am lizard king
Jan 25, 2006
bohemia
Exactly what I was thinking when I read C1958 post.

I'm not sure what is more frustrating, his "methodology" or our efforts to inform him on simple matters.

When I read his posts, I'm reminded of "it depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is".

I only respond to help clarify things for others, as actually debating with him is useless.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
The reason I didn't respond to your last mega post was that there was very little to respond to. Just like this one.

Your argument boils down to 'You don't get it do you bud?, My buddies and I have figured this thing out. Hence everything you say is laughable and/or obtuse"

You are simply refusing to acknowledge my argument. What's there to respond to and why would I bother?

Sounds like you're more interested in dodging than actually discussing.

Surprised by your knee jerk logic.

First the issue presented and replied to touched forwards. So the response concentrated on forwards.

The 0.4 PPG measure does not discriminate by ethnic origin, and is fair for all eras once the NHL went to a 70 game or greater scheduled regular season.

If we look at the 1952-53 NHL season data, 4.79 TG/G:

The Canadian forwards did quite poorly by this Skill and Production measure. Yet by 1966-67 the Skill and Production levels had increased to levels where expansion was viable.

If we look at the seasons addressed and the TG/G league average, we see the following:

1966-67: 5.96 TG/G
1993-94: 6.48 TG/G
2011-12: 5.47 TG/G

You and others have stated that the currency of hockey is goals. So the basic offensive strategy is to get the puck to the player who is most likely to score a goal while defensive strategy concentrates on keeping the puck away from the better goal scorers.

The TG/G measure puts your suggestion about defensemen, goalies disproportionately increasing skills to rest.

The 2011-12 Canadian forwards in the NHL fare rather poorly compared to their 1966-67 counterparts:

But this has been my point all along.

BTW the 1967 expansion produced a 1967-68 season where app. 55% of the Canadian forwards passed.

Your logic is water tight.... IF it is true that scoring rises and falls with the skill levels of the forwards in the NHL... but nobody has ever shown this to be the case. This is one of your worst arguments ever.

OK, but WHO IS DOING THIS???

I don't agree that adding imaginary outliers adds anything to the debate.

Who? Tell me.

Consider that the arguments I've seen so far just indicate a bias for Sundin. But this guy was injured and that guy was...

Who said this?

Imaginary data or players does not improve the debate.

What imaginary players?

His placement against his peers in scoring compared to Sundin' who had 3 extra seasons includng 4 years experience on Sittler with the Leafs.

So Sundin being an elite scorer for longer and thus having more "chances" to post a season for the ages, somehow works against him?

-Adding data contains assumptions that must also be justified in the context of the year or era in question.

Who is adding data?

You keep blabbing about adjusting outliers but you refuse to acknowledge that if I didn't, Sittler would fall even further behind Sundin.

No one has to make any excuse for Sundin because he was the better producer and had more offensive success. Saying that Sittler played in a higher scoring era where goals were less valuable a currency is NOT an excuse.

I can't quote a specific reference about the cultural normalization bias and how it manifests itself in analysis like this debate. That's the whole paper!

OK, then at least explain why it proves everyone's efforts to use a scoring system to help compare players across generations, are futlie and worthless. Be specific.

The field of top forwards was not nearly the same during the respective eras of Sittler and Sundin. Therefore to compare how they finished among their peers without any context is not a level, or fair, comparison and is of minimal value.

ding

most believe Sundin's superior production over any period from 2-18 years overshadows Sittler's shorter and less consistent flashes of brilliance.

ding

Most people are attempting to put the accomplishments of each player in the proper context.

ding

You also don't seem to appreciate that others don't hold single game performances as the most reliable indicator of superiority.

ding

Incessantly repeating that there are imaginary players only displays your inability to grasp the concept being explained for you with great patience, not that your argument is logical.

ding

First, you may (or may not) be interested to know that posters such as HockeyOutsider and myself (and presumably others) had indepedently developed the concept of "adjusted scoring" and had made some calculations based on such, before HockeyReference was even in existence (AFAIK). It's not so remarkable, being that the concept is founded in simple logic and what should be relatively basic math. As stated previously, HR.com is simply referred to as a common resource and reference point. However, it is not considered by many of us to be an unquestioned authority on the proper methodology.

ding

Refusal to acknowledge and use simple fact and logic falls more in the category of "stubborn rhetoric".

ding

Czech Your Math

I am lizard king
Jan 25, 2006
bohemia
I'd be interested in what you mailed Hockey.reference.com too.

Goals Created is meant as an alternative (not replacement) to points in measuring offensive production. I don't exactly recall when I first calculated this (and I doubt I was the first), but I'm certain it was before I was aware of its existence on HR.com. Whether that was before HR.com was in existence, I also do not know for certain.

It seemed to me the proper way to calculate this was to utilize the scarcity of each (goals and assists).

ApG = assists per goal ratio (this has been between 1.63 and 1.75 over the past 40 years)

GC = goals created
G = goals by individual player
A = assists by individual player

My formula has always been:

GC = (G * 0.5) + [ (A * 0.5) * (1 / ApG) ]

Basically, for each goal scored, half credit is given to the goal scorer and half to those assisting on the goal. Since there are more assists than goals, rather than each assist receiving half credit, each assist is further discounted by the factor (1 / ApG) which varies by season. For instance, in a season with an ApG ratio of 1.667 (or 5/3), the formula would reduce to:

GC = (G * 0.5) + (A * 0.3)

So the value of goals remains larger in proportion to the ApG ratio (in this case 0.5/0.3 = 5/3).

When I first discovered how Goals Created was calculated by HR.com, I was a puzzled. I emailed them as to why I believed their formula was flawed. Here is their formula:

Gt = total goals
At = total assists

GC = [ (G + ( A * 0.5) ] * Gt / [( Gt + (At * .5)]

The flaw is that they are giving assists half the credit of goals, in effect assuming that there are exactly 2.00 assists per goal. This tends to help goal-scorers and hurt playmakers even more. For a player who scores goals and assists in a ratio close to the average, it is inconsequential. However, for a player with a lopsided ratio, such as Bondra or Oates, the error is significant.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Skill Levels

Your logic is water tight.... IF it is true that scoring rises and falls with the skill levels of the forwards in the NHL... but nobody has ever shown this to be the case. This is one of your worst arguments ever.

What you claim - bolded is not being discussed nor is it the intent of the effort. One of your typical dismissive strawmen - misrepresent and dismiss.

Similar calculations may be made for dmen with a 0.2PPG as a base.

Goalies are difficult to judge since data, even the weak SV% is not readily available for all seasons, especially playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad