Class Act by a Flyers Fan at the Home Opener (as witnessed by Kerry Fraser)

Bigleaf

Jun 21, 2008
As per Kerry Fraser on his TSN blog entry today 1/21/13 (link below)

Here's a must-share story I witnessed firsthand at the game which demonstrates the true heart of a hockey fan. At the end of the first period, a 32-year-old unemployed iron worker from the Atlantic City Union exited the complimentary seat he was given and was about to enter the concourse area.

Wearing the "Giroux" captain's jersey the fan purchased that very morning in hopes of getting it signed by his favourite player someday was a dead giveaway as to his team loyalty. This hockey fan was about to walk past a mother and her little girl (age 5) when he noticed that the child was wearing a surgical mask over her mouth.

The absence of hair on her little head along with her look was an indication that the child was a cancer patient. The blue collar fan then paused and asked the little girl if she was a Claude Giroux fan? As the child nodded he removed the brand new Giroux jersey, handed it to the little girl and said, "You are an angel and I would like to give this jersey to you."

The little girl beamed with excitement and commented to her mother that the jersey had the new "C" on the front. The good Samaritan Flyers fan simply walked away with a tear in his eye. The name of the fan is being withheld at his request because like most acts of kindness, he did not want to bring attention to himself. I felt the need to bring attention to the act of one terrific hockey fan and human being.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=414132#YourCallTop

SgtJoseph*

Great story ! But what in the heck is an unemployed person doing buying an expensive hockey jersey ? I have been unemployed before, and them type purchases are put on the back burner until i got back on my feet. Having said that, God bless him and the little girl.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Sorry for snooping in your forum, but this is a great story. God bless that man and the child.

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
Great story ! But what in the heck is an unemployed person doing buying an expensive hockey jersey ? I have been unemployed before, and them type purchases are put on the back burner until i got back on my feet. Having said that, God bless him and the little girl.

unemployed does not mean broke.

btw thats a great story. hope she has a full recovery.

TheDrizzle81

Nov 13, 2008
Marlton NJ
but ALL philly fans are souless dispicable people. this clearly happened in ny or pitt, because in philly they would have thrown snowballs at her or ridiculed her on the jumbotron /sarcasm

great story

King Forsberg

16 21 28 44 68 88 93
Jul 26, 2010
He probably threw snowballs at Santa afterwards. But seriously what a tremendous act of kindess.

ToTheNet

Jun 9, 2007
Holland, PA

it does say he worked for a Union. . .

/political commentary

It is a great story and certainly something you wouldn't read about in most sports. What a good dude and I'm sure a memory that girl and her family will have for a long time. I'm not shocked this is the first I've heard of it, as if it was another team it likely would have been broadcasted all over Sportscenter and the AP.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
Great heart-warming story but dumb question, everyone is a Giroux fan

Bigleaf

Jun 21, 2008
Perhaps someone could forward this to the Flyers PR staff who could have Giroux autograph 2 brand new sweaters along with a couple of autographed team sticks. I'm sure Fraser still has the name of the classy fan and this guy, along with the young girl, could be tracked down and the goodies could be sent to them.

JDinkalage Morgoone

U of South Flurrida
Oct 7, 2008
308 Negra Arroyo Ln.
Perhaps someone could forward this to the Flyers PR staff who could have Giroux autograph 2 brand new sweaters along with a couple of autographed team sticks. I'm sure Fraser still has the name of the classy fan and this guy, along with the young girl, could be tracked down and the goodies could be sent to them.

I fully advocate this guy getting major props and kudos, but I don't think he'd even want that. Seems like to him the real gift was getting to make a little girl's day.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Great story! I just have an issue with an unemployed guy buying that expensive jersey AND it can't possibly fit the little girl.

Flyers845

Jan 19, 2006
Philadelphia Pa

Maybe he has a sugar momma. Btw I was on unemployment when I went to game 1 of the World Series in New York in 2009, got tickets on stubhub. So it's not like buying a jersey is impossible. Great story

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008

Not a flyers fan, but I completely agree with this. Should make it happen.

Edit: Just emailed the team to pass this along. Hopefully they can recognize this honorable act.

Last edited:

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004

The Community Relations Department (PR generally deals with media) has become aware of the situation.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: