Speculation: Clarkson to be traded for cap space relief

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
I mean, he could still be a cheaper, higher ceiling alternative to Reaves on that fourth line or an extra forward or maybe a third liner if there is an injury.

If they carry 14 forwards, it's worth the risk. 40 practices with Turk might give the kid enough structure.
But then there's guys like Carpenter. I don't know about losing Lindbergh, Carpenter and Belly. And Nosek should be 13th forward so they'd have to trade or waive either he or Puljujarvi. I'd like a kid like Bastian from NJ that can start in the AHL.

Hopefully the Knights don't have to attach anyone super important to the team to get rid of Clarkson.

They might ask about Elvenes as a sweetener. I would, if I were a GM.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
If they carry 14 forwards, it's worth the risk. 40 practices with Turk might give the kid enough structure.
But then there's guys like Carpenter. I don't know about losing Lindbergh, Carpenter and Belly. And Nosek should be 13th forward so they'd have to trade or waive either he or Puljujarvi. I'd like a kid like Bastian from NJ that can start in the AHL.

They might ask about Elvenes as a sweetener. I would, if I were a GM.

I think we could offer Rondbjerg or something.

I want us to be able to keep Karlsson, Gusev and Haula while simultaneously coming out of the trades under the cap and still with at least seven picks in our drafts and all of our 1sts and 2nds. Without having to give up Glass, Hague, Leschyshyn, Jones, Dugan, Coghlan, Demin, Ferguson, Kooy.

Trading Clarkson, Eakin, Miller, Holden and Reaves.

The actual trades we make I dont think concern me as much if those things happen. If we have a few extra assets then that's fine, if we break even that's fine too.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
If Stastny and Patches are rumored to be moved it's probably because that's who they're getting the most calls on after their great playoff performance. GMs think they can get them for a steal.

If the McGMs want to move them it's probably because they want Karlsson signed ASAP before the offer sheet talk starts up, and teams are asking too much to take on Clarkson's contract.

Stastny or Patches would put them at 76-78m depending on the trade and would free up enough space to re-sign Karlsson, Gusev, Engelland, Schuldt and maybe Subban and Nosek before the new Cap ceiling is finalized.

IhmAHt6.jpg

Using the current 2018-2019 cap cushion for June this leaves them with around 13-15m to re-sign everybody.

Unless my formula is off (@mouser)

Is Eakin for Puljujarvi something that would interest the Knights?

If we could get a 2nd or 3rd for Eakin then I think we could try Puljujarvi, who is in that 21-24 range we have less and may become a decent third or fourth liner, unlikely but possibly a second liner. Would probably only cost ELC money for a few years and could start out in the AHL or on the fourth line with Carrier.

They also have the option to not sign JP for a year and let him play in Finland as opposed to the AHL.

Maybe they could bring him over from Finland after the trade deadline...

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad