Clarkson/kadri - has Kadri regressed?

Hibachi

Oct 22, 2013
I was really interested to see what Kadri can do with someone like Clarkson always near the front of the net. I'm not sure what to make of it though just yet, I mean this was the plan all along, signing Clarkson for the second line and Kadri centering him. Clarkson isn't a sniper, far from it, and he feeds off players getting the puck to the net. Kadri likes to take it to the outside and shoot a shot that has no chance.

Now a lot of people are blaming Clarkson for his lack luster scoring performance thus far, but I think more of the blame should go to Kadri. Sure he has 17 points in 25 games, and thats solid enough I guess, but many expected Kadri sustain that level, or even get better after the season he had last year.

I think Kadri is trying to be too fancy/pretty in his plays this season. Instead of moving his legs to beat defenders, he glides and tries to stick handle, but thats not working. And almost everytime Kadri brings the puck in the offensive zone, he takes some stupid shot and hasn't let Clarkson get in front of the net, or even anyone enough time to get into a passing position.

Hopefully they find chemistry as the season goes on, but I think Kadri has regressed this season. Before you saw him dominate games, almost for the full 60 minutes sometimes.

I'm a big fan of Kadri, been one since the day he was drafted, but he needs to get it together if he wants to become what we all want him to become, and what he wants to be for the Leafs.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I think Clarkson's just a bit of a fraud at this point. You'd think we signed a Darcy Tucker/Gary Roberts/Shayne Corson type second/third line sandpaper heart and soul kind of player when he got here but it looks like we just got a scrub who is extremely good at self promotion and selling the image of the hard nosed Toronto boy.

Hibachi

Oct 22, 2013
Clarkson certainly hasn't been good this season, and I think he's still trying to find his role on the team. It hasn't been easy for him to find his role though, first 10 games or so after his suspension, he was playing a third line shutdown role with Bolland. That certainly isn't what we brought him here to do.

And after Bolland goes down, he's on a line with Kadri, and Kadri has been cold and hasn't looked like the same player as last year. Not to mention Lupul went down.

Also whoever thought he would be the next Gary Robeters/Tucker/Clark were really setting themselves up for disappointment, and failure.

Even before Clarkson's signing, all I remember about him is constantly playing a big role against the Leafs. You always noticed him on the ice against us.

I probably should of just made a Kadri topic on its own, because I have a feeling Clarkson will be the majority of discussion on this one. :laugh:

CreeksideStrangler

Feb 9, 2011
Toronto, ON
If carlyle would let him play his game he would do much better. Our defense sucks playing this broken system. Our offensive players are either getting punished or ******** the bed because they are being told to change their game. Goalies can't get us into the playoffs alone. Carlyle seems to hate on a guy or two each week. I don't see this getting any better until Carlyle lets guys play their own game.

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
I expected about 15 goals and maybe 35-40 points out of Clarkson, but we need consistent production from Kadri.

Nazem only has 4 points in his previous 10 games. It's not even Kadri, Kessel has 6 points his previous 14 games, Lupul has 5 points his previous 13 games, JVR has 7 points his last 13 games..

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Kadri just might need a change of scenery.

How about to Montreal for PK?

Hibachi

Oct 22, 2013
I expected about 15 goals and maybe 35-40 points out of Clarkson, but we need consistent production from Kadri.

Nazem only has 4 points in his previous 10 games. It's not even Kadri, Kessel has 6 points his previous 14 games, Lupul has 5 points his previous 13 games, JVR has 7 points his last 13 games..

We went through similar droughts last season as well, its just Kadri was simply on fire and when the first line wasn't scoring, Kadri was working his magic and generating points. There were a few games where Kadri simply took games over all by himself last season, and got us the wins. Haven't seen that at all out of his this season.

HenryH

Dec 9, 2010
Woodbridge
Just let Kadri play for the whole damn season, it's been only 25 games for him. I'm not worried about him, I feel he is going to be fine. Players have slumps all the time.

Badger Mayhew*

Last season was a fluke. Kadri had a leg up on most of the players last year because of his time in the AHL. His shooting percentage was also inflated. Now we're seeing him for what he is...a slightly below average 2nd line center.

CreeksideStrangler

Feb 9, 2011
Toronto, ON
Last season was a fluke. Kadri had a leg up on most of the players last year because of his time in the AHL. His shooting percentage was also inflated. Now we're seeing him for what he is...a slightly below average 2nd line center.

I disagree. Kadri sees the ice very well and has elite playmaking skills. Gotta let him be creative.

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
I disagree. Kadri sees the ice very well and has elite playmaking skills. Gotta let him be creative.

Last year and in junior i saw this, but this year... Im seeing the hands the flair the finish but im not seeing that great vision to be able to set his teammates up for great scoring chances... The only one i recall is the pass to Dion early in the season, and maybe a beautiful saucer over to Rielly on a powerplay that Morgan missed... But hes not making those Kadri like passes from last year.

King85Kong

Playoffs?
Nov 24, 2013
Toronto
People need to settle down. He is still putting up points and is our best centre. Could he be playing better, sure, but so can pretty much every player on the team. And he doesn't have the pleasure of being sheltered by playing with PPG wingers like other centres. Kadri will be fine.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
I think Clarkson's just a bit of a fraud at this point. You'd think we signed a Darcy Tucker/Gary Roberts/Shayne Corson type second/third line sandpaper heart and soul kind of player when he got here but it looks like we just got a scrub who is extremely good at self promotion and selling the image of the hard nosed Toronto boy.

Just another punk with a Leafs jersey. Oh, and a very fat wallet!

Jun 27, 2005

Clarkson is one of the worst Leafs so far this season. Taking his salary / cap hit into account and he is quite probably the worst player in the entire league. It's that bad.

SwiftyDanglesin

Feb 28, 2013
Canadia
Why are you so suprised?

Kadri's SH% last year was way above average and completely unsustainable. He spent most of his time last year playing against oppositions 3rd line and 3rd pairing.

I came into the season with low expectations and I am witnessing what I thought would happen, a lower SH% and higher level of opposition he is playing against.

Hibachi

Oct 22, 2013
Why are you so suprised?

Kadri's SH% last year was way above average and completely unsustainable. He spent most of his time last year playing against oppositions 3rd line and 3rd pairing.

I came into the season with low expectations and I am witnessing what I thought would happen, a lower SH% and higher level of opposition he is playing against.

Kadri has a higher SH% this year... all these people who just bring up stats but haven no idea.

SwiftyDanglesin

Feb 28, 2013
Canadia
Kadri has a higher SH% this year... all these people who just bring up stats but haven no idea.

What are you trying to argue? It is still unsustainable, If anything his SH% is going to get worse so just damper your expectations a bit he is still a young kid and anyone who believed he was going to put up 80+ points this season is insane.

Btw, he has also taken alot less shots on goal this year.

King85Kong

Playoffs?
Nov 24, 2013
Toronto
What are you trying to argue? It is still unsustainable, If anything his SH% is going to get worse so just damper your expectations a bit he is still a young kid and anyone who believed he was going to put up 80+ points this season is insane.

Btw, he has also taken alot less shots on goal this year.

Lol, gets busted, and goes on a fishing expedition. Thanks for trying.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Kadri looked good with Kessel and then all of the sudden was taken off that line. Not sure why.

That game was against Edmonton, and Edmonton at that time was even worse than they are now. A Junior hockey team could have gave The Oilers a run for their money back then.

He couldn't carry that onto Calgary and Vancouver. Kadri never really meshed with JVR and Kessel. Small sample but it wasn't until Holland came in for a game and when Bozak came back, Kessel and JVR started to score and more important play a complete game again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad