Rumor: Clarkson, 1st going to Vegas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
That he is a fourth time center? Agree. Except that really wasn't your point.

hrr hrr.

I'm firming convinced there are only a small handful of people around here that can be honest with their assessment of players. It sure makes it easier to dump him if you convince yourself that he's "just" a 4th line center doesn't it?
We know I'm not a fan of Savard, but at least I'm honest enough to say he's a 3/4 in this league. I don't think Bob is consistent enough to be worth 7+ million, but I say that when he's on his game he's top 5 in the league.

Yes, he could very well be the odd man out. However he isn't just a 4th line center.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
hrr hrr.

I'm firming convinced there are only a small handful of people around here that can be honest with their assessment of players. It sure makes it easier to dump him if you convince yourself that he's "just" a 4th line center doesn't it?
We know I'm not a fan of Savard, but at least I'm honest enough to say he's a 3/4 in this league. I don't think Bob is consistent enough to be worth 7+ million, but I say that when he's on his game he's top 5 in the league.

That's... actually the first time I can recall your ever actually saying either of those things. :)

Not that I doubt you or anything; just that I don't think said opinions are widely advertised.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
That's... actually the first time I can recall your ever actually saying either of those things. :)

Not that I doubt you or anything; just that I don't think said opinions are widely advertised.

I have to defend myself about every 10th or so time I post something critical of either.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
It was a VERY good thing. No harm in falling 10 places in a weak draft.

I wasn't referring to the draft position. I was referring to giving the FO a possible misrepresentation of how good the team really is. In reality we are more likely a bubble team.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I wasn't referring to the draft position. I was referring to giving the FO a possible misrepresentation of how good the team really is. In reality we are more likely a bubble team.
I presume they're a little more on the ball than that.

Frankly, I think we stood a decent chance of making the playoffs with league-average goaltending. We just sure as hell wouldn't have been #4 in the NHL; we'd have been neck and neck with Toronto.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
hrr hrr.

Yes, he could very well be the odd man out. However he isn't just a 4th line center.

Mr. rare Honest assessment:laugh::laugh:Toot your own horn much? Rhetorical question.

No. You're right. He's also a dime-a-dozen penalty killer as well as a 4rth line center (on anything but a really, really bad team) who went 45 games without a goal. His 6 goals were completely vital to the regular season success of the CBJ!!! Oh, I forgot. He really steps it up in playoff elimination games. LOL. Make that ROTFLMAO.

Anyone who real thinks that a player like Karlsson moves the meter for a hockey team in a substantial way doesn't get NHL hockey personnel options. Wild Beel-type players are available all the time during the off season and usually make the waiver wires weekly during the season. As an added bonus, most of them will even throw a check.

Last edited:

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Mr. rare Honest assessment:laugh::laugh:Toot your own horn much? Rhetorical question.

No. You're right. He's also a dime-a-dozen penalty killer as well as a 4rth line center (on anything but a really, really bad team) who went 45 games without a goal. His 6 goals were completely vital to the regular season success of the CBJ!!! Oh, I forgot. He really steps it up in playoff elimination games. LOL. Make that ROTFLMAO.

Anyone who real thinks that a player like Karlsson moves the meter for a hockey team in a substantial way doesn't get NHL hockey personnel options. Wild Beel-type players are available all the time during the off season and usually make the waiver wires weekly during the season. As an added bonus, most of them will even throw a check.

Apparently this applies to Tortorella who, in a post-game presser, said that Karlsson (along with Wennberg) has a few more levels to reach in his development and will eventually be a high-end player.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Apparently this applies to Tortorella who, in a post-game presser, said that Karlsson (along with Wennberg) has a few more levels to reach in his development and will eventually be a high-end player.

I'd attribute this to post game hyperbole.

So do you think Wild Beel is going to be a top 6 forward?

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011

Must have been one of those pressers after players asked Torts to not be so hard on them. :laugh::laugh:

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005

Frankly, I think we stood a decent chance of making the playoffs with league-average goaltending. We just sure as hell wouldn't have been #4 in the NHL; we'd have been neck and neck with Toronto.

Are they? They tend not to do much when the team performs below expectations. They didn't do anything after last season and it looks like they are going to accept the disappearance of most of the forwards in the second half of the season and into the playoffs. They seem determined to stick with this group of players and, frankly, I just don't see why.

I'm not quite on the same page as you are with our skaters. Our team defense is pretty poor (note the word team, not position) when our forecheck is average (meaning when we actually have to play defense). If Bob hadn't been at elite level post all-star, just average as you stated, we probably would have been under 100 points.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
I'd attribute this to post game hyperbole.

So do you think Wild Beel is going to be a top 6 forward?

Must have been one of those pressers after players asked Torts to not be so hard on them. :laugh::laugh:

Yeah I don't want to sound like I think Torts is a completely unbiased judge of talent. I can't imagine what he'd say about Matty Calvert and think it'd be even higher praise than Karlsson.

My anticipation of Wild Bill is this:
Low chance he becomes a top-6 caliber player on a good team.
Decent chance he becomes a 2nd/3rd line tweener on a decent team.
Very safe bet to believe he'll be a 3rd/4th line player on any NHL team. I think he's there already.

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008
Becoming a higher level player doesn't necessarily mean moving from 4C to 1/2C. Comments like those from Torts about Karlsson are likely more about him having the capacity to be a top 3/4C. They're different skillsets, right? You don't develop from a 4 to a 1 in any natural progression because they're completely different roles with different responsibilities. All 3/4C in the league are not equal and the best ones aren't a dime a dozen, nor are they failed 1/2C's. A guy with the skillset to be a great 3/4C is desired in this league and although players can sometimes fit into that role, the ones that are really great are the ones born for it. Wild Lars could be one of those guys, as Torts suggests. I don't expect Torts thinks Karlsson can someday be the next Crosby or Thornton.

I think people tend to forget these kinds of progressions and always focus on bottom -> top and top -> bottom progressions as if it were always something linear.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
But Ryan Murray is not progressing at all !!!!

I did not really mean that. But i thought I would throw it in just to shake up the conversation a little. :)

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
But Ryan Murray is not progressing at all !!!!

I did not really mean that. But i thought I would throw it in just to shake up the conversation a little. :)
trouble.gif

;)

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
Becoming a higher level player doesn't necessarily mean moving from 4C to 1/2C. Comments like those from Torts about Karlsson are likely more about him having the capacity to be a top 3/4C. They're different skillsets, right? You don't develop from a 4 to a 1 in any natural progression because they're completely different roles with different responsibilities. All 3/4C in the league are not equal and the best ones aren't a dime a dozen, nor are they failed 1/2C's. A guy with the skillset to be a great 3/4C is desired in this league and although players can sometimes fit into that role, the ones that are really great are the ones born for it. Wild Lars could be one of those guys, as Torts suggests. I don't expect Torts thinks Karlsson can someday be the next Crosby or Thornton.

I think people tend to forget these kinds of progressions and always focus on bottom -> top and top -> bottom progressions as if it were always something linear.

I am reminded of three of my favorite Blue Jackets 1) Manny Malhotra 2) Mark Letestu and 3) Derrick Mckenzie. Why these three guys? Because they hustled their ***** off every shift. Skated fast, back checked, forechecked, mucked it up and all were good at faceoffs. Wild Bill is of their ilk - He is a 4th line centre, possibly a 3rd line centre but the guy is very good - show the man some love. if by chance he is gone, I will continue to root for him. Hard working guy.. hopefully you are dealt from LVK to a contender like Letestu was. Give em hell Bill!!:D

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
i think Karlsson was our best C in the playoffs...maybe not saying much...but I'd hate to lose him...he has more upside left IMO

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio

And we probably could have taken the first series seven games. :sarcasm:

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
I do hope that the FO isn't expending any resources to keep Wild Bill.

He's an easily replaceable spare part who went 45 games or so without a goal.

So the question is, what move was worse?

Columbus protecting Anderson, Wennberg, etc. over Karlsson?
Or
Anaheim trading Karlsson for a washed up Wisniewski?

Happy Easter and/or April Fools day

Reactions: cbjpointman
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad