Clarke MacArthur

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Most underrated prospect in Hockey?

Currently leading the WHL in scoring, with his next highest teammate almost half his points.

No one ever talks about him though.

He's put up comparable stats to players drafted top 10 in their draft year, but he was on a bad team his draft year.

He gained an inch or two in height and added some pounds since 2003 as well.

He's currently rated a 6.5 B and could be anywhere from 7.0B to 8.0B/C the next time he's ranked, and possibly a top 50 Candidate.

Obviously I don't get to see him in New York, but I've been listening to as many games and I can and he seems like an effortless point producer.

Great vision I'm told, a bit of a pest, and can score as well. Sounds a bit like a bigger Derek Roy with more offense but less defensive awarness and slightly less hustle or maybe a JP Dumont type.

Can anyone tell me what they project him as?

leafaholix*

Easily one of the most underrated prospects. I saw him a couple times on TV last year and he undressed Dominic D'Amour, a massive defenseman with great mobility and a nasty streak.

I didn't see Joe Sakic play in the WHL back in his day, obviously... but I saw a similar style of hockey when I saw MacArthur play. Off the top of my head I can't think of another comparison, but I can't see why he can't develop into a top 6 forward.

Slangston

Buffalo Sabres
Apr 3, 2003
Western New York
Effortlessly racking up 10 points in 5 games in the dub...What happens when he actually decides to play?

I think Luce and company might have a steal with this kid.

sidelines

I got to watch this kid play when he played Junior A in Drayton Valley.. he was amazing. A great set of hands, awesome vision, and he can put the puck in the net. Good size too.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Clarke had his 3rd straight 3-Point game.

I'm really anxious to see if he can keep a similar pace up and possibly get 100 Points this year.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Ive always liked him since i first watched him a couple years ago. He is getting the QMJHL tag pretty much. Ignore him if he is less than 6'00 tall despite his offensive upside.

Aaron Vickers

FCHockey
Mar 4, 2002
Calgary, AB
www.nhlentrydraft.com
Saw him play in the Canadian Junior Development Camp.

If selection was based on that camp alone, I'd bet my house he would be on the team.

Really strong camp, and that's the mark of a great player, being able to play great against the greatest of your peers.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Moskau said:
Most underrated prospect in Hockey?

Currently leading the WHL in scoring, with his next highest teammate almost half his points.

No one ever talks about him though.

He's put up comparable stats to players drafted top 10 in their draft year, but he was on a bad team his draft year.

He didn't fall because he was on a poor team in his draft year or because he didn't produce. Medicine Hat that season was the 2nd highest-scoring team in the WHL and I think only Dawes put up more points amongst first-time eligible players. He fell because of the dreaded combination of size/skating issues. His skating isn't poor per se, and is decent for the WHL, but it will not be great for a top-6 forward in the NHL. He doesn't have an extra gear or a great deal of first-step quickness. Combine that with being about 6' 180, and you're going to fall. Scouts will usually make allowances for one issue, but not both.

MacArthur is cut very close to the same lines as a guy like Mike Zigomanis, a similarly dominant CHL/WJC star picked in almost the same spot in the 1999 draft by Buffalo as well. And we can see the problems Zigomanis has had in the last 3 years trying to establish himself as an NHL player. Justin Mapletoft was another similar guy who blew the WHL apart but has struggled since turning pro. Chad Hinz. The list goes on and on. Occasionally there's a guy like a Brad Richards who takes his game to another level and excels in pro, but for the most part guys of this ilk are the prototype of the high-scoring AHLer.

I'm not saying MacArthur isn't a good prospect or that his development isn't encouraging (I agree he'll be a player to watch for the WJCs), but it has to be kept in perspective. I don't know if he's the most under-rated prospect right now or not, but if people keep focusing on his numbers rather than his skill package, he'll very quickly become the most overrated prospect in hockey, as was the case with Mapletoft in 2001. His numbers might be comparable or better than most first-rounders in his draft year, but his potential right now isn't.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
MS said:
He fell because of the dreaded combination of size/skating issues.
Hence my comparison to JP Dumont. Dumont was insanely slow.

Not saying he's fast or anything, but I think he must have gained a step or two since being drafted. He sounds like one of the speedier fowards on his team.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Moskau said:
Hence my comparison to JP Dumont. Dumont was insanely slow.

Not saying he's fast or anything, but I think he must have gained a step or two since being drafted. He sounds like one of the speedier fowards on his team.

When you rate a player's skating it depends on who you relate it to. Compared to WHL guys he's average to slightly above average. But when he hits pro it'll be mediocre at best. Probably 90% of the guys in the NHL were considered 'above-average skaters' when they were prospects relative to the guys they were playing against, but obviously they're not above average when they reach the NHL. The other guys I listed in the previous post weren't 'bad' skaters in junior either, they just didn't excel the way the more obvious pro prospects did.

That is unless his skating has improved substantially since last year's Memorial Cup, when I saw him play last.

Dumont was sluggish in junior, yes, but his hands and instincts around the net were absolutely sick and that's why he was a highly-rated prospect at the time. MacArthur doesn't have any skill in his arsenal anywhere near that level.

McThome

Aug 12, 2003
Edmonton
www.geocities.com
As a guy who knows Clarke fairly well (my brother played ball with him for about 10 years) and have been friends of the family for some time, with his work ethic and drive, he WILL make the NHL. He'll do absolutely anything he has to in order to make it.

Eb0la11

Aug 28, 2004
Calgary
thome_26 said:
As a guy who knows Clarke fairly well (my brother played ball with him for about 10 years) and have been friends of the family for some time, with his work ethic and drive, he WILL make the NHL. He'll do absolutely anything he has to in order to make it.

I agree with this statement as well. I have a link to MacArthur as well, one of my friends used to play hockey with him when he was younger. You guys may have heard about him, his name is Marshall Lundell, he was a pretty highly touted prospect before he decided to pursue other things in life than hockey. But anyways, I had talked with Marshall about MacArthur a couple weeks back and Marshall's opinion on him was that he had good work ethic but was a shrimp all the way through hockey. He may be catching up to people now but his size still might cause problems. I also have my own opinion of MacArthur mind you, and that is he is quickly rising on my top 150 prospects list if I were to create one. I saw him during scrimmages numbers 2 and 3 and the jr team canada development camp and in those games I believe he recorded 2 goals and one assist and looked quite confident with the puck. He was in full gear literally the entire camp and has a solid chance of making the team. Not to mention his 1st goal i saw in game two was a beauty, a little toe drag around I believe to be Coburn and fired it low short side on Beauchemin. It wasnt a junior league move that he could get crushed for either. I think MacArthur will fit in somewhere between 2nd and 3rd line on an NHL team. His work ethic and forchecking might have his value be more as a 3rd liner though.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
thome_26 said:

no offense...certainly nothing against you or MacArthur, but it seems like everyone that has any kind of personal connection to a player "guarantees" that player will make the NHL. We used to get a guy who was Patrick Jarrett's neighbor who talked of Jarrett "knocking Legwand off the first line, someday soon." Jarrett put up tons of points in the OHL..and still wasn't offered a contract, then going undrafted when he re-entered. Just have to wait and see.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Back to first hand observation. I attended the Canadian Junior Camp's daily scrimmages where MacArthur played very well. I didn't know alot about him going in to the camp but he left a positive impression with skill and hardwork.

I look forward to seeing Medicine Hat and Calgary to watch how he progresses. As some state, size can be a barrier to making the NHL but one should never discount the intangibles of heart and character.

Peter

Mar 1, 2002
Alberta
Visit site
MacArthur is more of a set-up guy than a pure goal scorer. I liken him to the Brind'Amours and Ronnings of the world. Not overly large in size, quick and soft, soft hands. I see this guy play every home game and lots on the road as well...the only thing that makes him "less" of a prospect when compared to others is his size. For a center he is on the small side but obviously smaller, skilled centers do find work in the NHL. Buffallo, IMO, has a good prospect on their hands.

Reign Nateo

Apr 28, 2003
Canada
Visit site
I saw Clarke play once this year and he looked like a solid prospect. However he is a little small and is an average skater. I wouldn't bet on this guy as a top 6 NHL forward. NHL scouts are not dumb. Maybe he can put up numbers at the next level, but he doesn't do any one thing spectacularly. He is a good hockey player, but he may not have the speed for the NHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad