Recalled/Assigned: Claessen sent back

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Too bad. I thought he did ok, although I missed all the west coast games. How did he look there?

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
I don't get it. Methot is not playing and they send down Claesson?

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Can't trade Cowen without first playing Cowen. No one will see him as an asset the longer he is healthy scratched.

That's how I'm rationalizing this. I didn't think Claesson set the world on fire as an NHLer, but he definitely did enough to get the call back up here once we sort out some housecleaning on our blueline.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I don't get it. Methot is not playing and they send down Claesson?

Well, they want to get Cowen in the lineup I guess, and rebuild some trade value presumably.

I imagine they don't want him sitting in the pressbox unless we're on a road trip that makes a callup in case of injury difficult (ie western roadtrip, we need the extra body, NJ we don't).

I thought he faired well, and probably deserves the spot over Cowen, but I also think he'll be back sooner than later.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Well, they want to get Cowen in the lineup I guess, and rebuild some trade value presumably.

I imagine they don't want him sitting in the pressbox unless we're on a road trip that makes a callup in case of injury difficult (ie western roadtrip, we need the extra body, NJ we don't).

I thought he faired well, and probably deserves the spot over Cowen, but I also think he'll be back sooner than later.

Yup. ^ This. He was fine IMO. He wasn't the second coming of Bobby Orr but he seemed steady enough to me. Its time to do something with Cowen.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Claesson proved he was an NHLer. He did his job.

I'd rather him in the line-up than Boro, but Boro has impressed me the last few games.

Whippet

Feb 6, 2013
He did fine. This is well needed confidence for him I think this will improve his game in Bingo.

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
So if they Cowen and he plays fine, wouldnt Murray just say now "see I told you he was good and found his game, hes off the market now" And if he doesn't play good, then there will be no one wanting him.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
You can only have 23 healthy players on the roster at one time, they called up Puempel & somebody had to come off the roster. Claesson could go back down to Bingo without going through waivers which is why it was him.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
He would only be waiver exempt for another week and/or 2 more games if I am interpreting the rules correctly.

I've lost track of everybody's waiver status, but I am pretty sure he is the only exempt player who'd realistically get sent down (ie not Lazar or Ceci). No one else is exempt.

Again, lost track with all the injuries, but I am guessing, they needed room for Puempel in case Hoffman didn't play. If Hoff is cleared, Puempel probably gets sent back down, maybe without ever playing, and Claesson recalled, or maybe they keep Claesson down until they move out Cowen, which would open up an extra roster spot.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
You can only have 23 healthy players on the roster at one time, they called up Puempel & somebody had to come off the roster. Claesson could go back down to Bingo without going through waivers which is why it was him.

This is it, I think.

To call up Puempel without sending anyone down, pretty sure Hoff or Turris would have to be put on IR, meaning if they were game time decision, they wouldn't be able to play once they were out on IR, making it not a viable option until the Sens are sure they are injured and unable to play.

Also, players on IR cannot play for a week, which is why they couldn't just put Turris on IR because if he is ready to go before then, they wouldn't be able to use him.

chipsens

Post and in...
Jan 9, 2013
So...having sent Claesson back Down, how soon before we can recall him? Why the h**l not send Cowen down to Bingo...for an extended 6wk "conditioning stint"?!!!!

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
So...having sent Claesson back Down, how soon before we can recall him? Why the h**l not send Cowen down to Bingo...for an extended 6wk "conditioning stint"?!!!!

Cowen would have to agree to go on a conditioning stint.

I think with the injuries, the options were:

1) Put someone on IR, lose the ability to play them for a week
2) Play Boro as a forward, and have Claesson and Cowen on D
3) Assign Claesson (or Ceci, but I imagine thw) down to the AHL, and call up a forward

We needed another forward. So we called one up.

We needed to make room, so we sent down a dman (If we sent down McCormick or Lazar or whatever forward, we'd still be down a forward). I guess we could have waived Cowen, or Boro, but seems to me like there were no good options (I think maybe option 2 is the most appealing to me).

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Cowen would have to agree to go on a conditioning stint.

I think with the injuries, the options were:

1) Put someone on IR, lose the ability to play them for a week
2) Play Boro as a forward, and have Claesson and Cowen on D
3) Assign Claesson (or Ceci, but I imagine thw) down to the AHL, and call up a forward

We needed another forward. So we called one up.

We needed to make room, so we sent down a dman (If we sent down McCormick or Lazar or whatever forward, we'd still be down a forward). I guess we could have waived Cowen, or Boro, but seems to me like there were no good options (I think maybe option 2 is the most appealing to me).

Yes, those were the options. It's strictly a roster/waiver eligibility thing. He was the only guy to send down without losing him. I imagine he will be back once (if) we get reasonably healthy.

BTW, for me option 3 was the best, which is what happened.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Yes, those were the options. It's strictly a roster/waiver eligibility thing. He was the only guy to send down without losing him. I imagine he will be back once (if) we get reasonably healthy.

BTW, for me option 3 was the best, which is what happened.

It's a tough call.

I mean, we're playing back to back, so maybe having a 4th line of Boro(or heck, Cowen)-McCormik-Neil that plays 5 mins on the night doesn't work. But if we were heading into the all star break with no more games for 4-5 days, I'd much rather Claesson play and roll 3 forward lines.

Thinking about it, I could have lived with the following;

Hoffman-Zib-Ryan (19 mins)
Prince-Pageau-Lazar (19 mins)
Michalek-Smith-Chiasson (17 mins)
Cowen-McCormick-Neil (5 mins)

Claesson-Karlsson
Wier-Ceci
Boro-Wideman

Last edited:

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
It's a tough call.

I mean, we're playing back to back, so maybe having a 4th line of Boro(or heck, Cowen)-McCormik-Neil that plays 5 mins on the night doesn't work. But if we were heading into the all star break with no more games for 4-5 days, I'd much rather Claesson play and roll 3 forward lines.

Thinking about it, I could have lived with the following;

Hoffman-Zib-Ryan (19 mins)
Prince-Pageau-Lazar (19 mins)
Puempel-Smith-Chiasson (17 mins)
Cowen-McCormick-Neil (5 mins)

Claesson-Karlsson
Wier-Ceci
Boro-Wideman

The lineup doesn't make sense in terms of the roster. You can't have Puempel here without sending someone down. I.e. Claesson.

I really don't like D playing the F position. I think the Sens did the right thing to send Claesson down when you look at the circumstances.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
The lineup doesn't make sense in terms of the roster. You can't have Puempel here without sending someone down. I.e. Claesson.

I really don't like D playing the F position. I think the Sens did the right thing to send Claesson down when you look at the circumstances.

Oops, had Puempel on my mind, it should have been Michalek, I`ll edit the op.

edit: wrt playing D as forwards, I'm essentially suggesting that it may be better to play 3 lines, with 2 extra forwards that sub in for shifts here and there, and having an extra Dman available.

The whole point is that the 4th line as quoted would almost never tough the ice, but the Dman might get some shifts on the PK, or here and there, and the two forwards might get thrown on a line for enery, or allow for somebody to get the odd double shift.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad