CL Round of 16 draw

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
Real Madrid-ManCity
This one might just depend on luck and form and injuries.
If Laporte is out, City CBs could have issues. If Hazard is out, Madrid is too dependent on Benz to compete IMO.

Dortmund-PSG

Gonne be interesting. In the end, think PSG just has too much firepower, but if they fall behind and have to chase the result, BVB could gut them on the counter.

Atalanta-Valencia
Dunno. Atalana can choke out teams. And Valencia's style fits better against more attacking teams. Going with Atalanta.

Atletico-Liverpool
"Here. You have the ball. We want to press and cause turnovers."
"No, you."
"We will play long balls then!"
"We will just sit back, invite you and wait for counters"

This one could be high quality but boring for watch for neutrals.

Chelsea-Bayern
Bayern wins. Other than the 3 in the mid, Chelsea are a bit green and their CBs are not up to par (unless Rudi is back).

Lyon-Juventus
Juve wins. But won't be a blowout or a walk over.

Spurs-Leipzig
I'll go for Mou here.

Napoli-Barca
Can't see a Gattuso Napoli side staying in this tie for long. Barca probably secures it in the first leg.

Barca and Juve "won" the draw IMO. City and Madrid "lost" it.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
When it was either Barcelona or Leipzig you obviously got to be happy getting Leipzig. I don't know Leipzig much, but pretty 50/50 I guess. Will take that. Then Valencia in the QF. Another 50/50. So 25% shot at another SF :D

Lambo

Jan 10, 2019
BVB vs Paris 40:60 %
Real vs ManCity 50:50
Atalanta vs Valencia 45:55
Atletico vs Liverpool 50:50
Chelsea vs Bayern 25:75
Lyon vs Juve 20:80
Spurs vs Leipzig 45:55
Napoli vs Barca 30:70

Lambo

Jan 10, 2019
When it was either Barcelona or Leipzig you obviously got to be happy getting Leipzig. I don't know Leipzig much, but pretty 50/50 I guess. Will take that. Then Valencia in the QF. Another 50/50. So 25% shot at another SF :D
Leipzig is stronger than Bayern in the moment. They playing the best football in Bundesliga(a machine).

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Leipzig is stronger than Bayern in the moment. They playing the best football in Bundesliga(a machine).

Yeah. Still rather Leipzig than Barcelona. I see some Spursfans are very confident Spurs can beat Leipzig. I think it will be a close call whoever gets through. I don't think Leipzig will crush Spurs, but neither do I think Spurs will crush Leipzig (obviously you always got these random 4-0 wins in the CL play-offs, but realistically speaking it will be close to the end).

And I'm very happy as a Spursfan that the game is not played just yet. I think Spurs will be a lot more solid a couple of months from now then they are now. And hopefully Leipzig will not be flying by then. Same as Dortmund last year. Spurs were quite average when they played Dortmund, but they came up against a team clearly out of form.

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
Real Madrid-ManCity
This one might just depend on luck and form and injuries.
If Laporte is out, City CBs could have issues. If Hazard is out, Madrid is too dependent on Benz to compete IMO.

Dortmund-PSG

Gonne be interesting. In the end, think PSG just has too much firepower, but if they fall behind and have to chase the result, BVB could gut them on the counter.

Atalanta-Valencia
Dunno. Atalana can choke out teams. And Valencia's style fits better against more attacking teams. Going with Atalanta.

Atletico-Liverpool
"Here. You have the ball. We want to press and cause turnovers."
"No, you."
"We will play long balls then!"
"We will just sit back, invite you and wait for counters"

This one could be high quality but boring for watch for neutrals.

Chelsea-Bayern
Bayern wins. Other than the 3 in the mid, Chelsea are a bit green and their CBs are not up to par (unless Rudi is back).

Lyon-Juventus
Juve wins. But won't be a blowout or a walk over.

Spurs-Leipzig
I'll go for Mou here.

Napoli-Barca
Can't see a Gattuso Napoli side staying in this tie for long. Barca probably secures it in the first leg.

Barca and Juve "won" the draw IMO. City and Madrid "lost" it.

Neither Bayern nor Dortmund have good center backs right now. At the moment RB Leipzig is the best German team IMO..

Reactions: Lambo

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
While I think Atletico will play defensively, there should be more goals than one thinks. Not my preferred draw, but whatever works. For Liverpool it’s more how they play than anything else at this stage

Lambo

Jan 10, 2019
Yeah. Still rather Leipzig than Barcelona. I see some Spursfans are very confident Spurs can beat Leipzig. I think it will be a close call whoever gets through. I don't think Leipzig will crush Spurs, but neither do I think Spurs will crush Leipzig (obviously you always got these random 4-0 wins in the CL play-offs, but realistically speaking it will be close to the end).

And I'm very happy as a Spursfan that the game is not played just yet. I think Spurs will be a lot more solid a couple of months from now then they are now. And hopefully Leipzig will not be flying by then. Same as Dortmund last year. Spurs were quite average when they played Dortmund, but they came up against a team clearly out of form.
Yes but Leipzig is not BVB. RB is much more balanced and with nearly perfect gameplay. And Nagelmann(Very talented coach) is a very good coach. This team has nt erach ther full potential. Leipzig could be increase their level too. Im not a Fan from this synthetic club, but they are very impressive this season.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
While Liverpool is better than Atlético, and should win, that was still the toughest team that they could have drawn. Would rather played anyone else.

That being said, last time LFC played at Wanda Metropolitano it went pretty well, and second leg at Anfield is always nice.

Last edited:

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
The Reds were likely to get a hard draw no matter what but Atletico doesn't feel impossible to beat. They'll be a very good test for them. I can't complain about how the draw went. But Citeh getting Madrid? The part of me that is petty as hell laughs out loud. And I'll laugh even harder if they bow out in round 1. If Pep wants to win Europe he's gonna have to slay a dragon first. It sucks when your luck runs out doesn't it?

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
While Liverpool is better than Atlético, and should win, that was still the toughest team that they could have drawn. Would rather played anyone else.

That being said, last time LFC played at Wanda it went pretty well, and second leg at Anfield is always nice.

I felt that way about Madrid because they always seem to pull some kind of magic out of their ass. Not to mention they'll probably be buyers soon. Oh well.... that's Citeh's problem. Being the supposed best team in the world that they are that the Reds don't compare to... it shouldn't be a problem right?

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I felt that way about Madrid because they always seem to pull some kind of magic out of their ass. Not to mention they'll probably be buyers soon. Oh well.... that's Citeh's problem. Being the supposed best team in the world that they are that the Reds don't compare to... it shouldn't be a problem right?
I would have much rather played Real Madrid. Atlético is going to be a similar game to Napoli in how they set up. They are undergoing some transition right now but still have plenty of talent.
Real Madrid there’s that revenge factor and I don’t think that they do anything better than Liverpool does anymore. Healthy Man City should not have a problem with them honestly.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
Atletico cant score and have more draws than win in La Liga. This version of them is not their best. This isn't an easy draw but this Atletico team right now in December isn't close as the ones they had a few years ago. Things could change in these two months though.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Don't mind this draw. PSG is the better team and in much better form right now, but they are big bottlers. Also, the game is a few months away, so they might drop off some and we might pick up some in the form department.

The Tuchel storylines will be interesting. Also, Diallo returns to Dortmund and Zagadou returns to PSG. I can't think of any other big storylines, aside from that.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Neither Bayern nor Dortmund have good center backs right now.

I disagree, although I agree with your larger point about Leipzig.

Hummels is a little out of form in recent weeks, so he's getting criticism for that, but he was Dortmund's best player the first few months of the season. Also, Favre has just started letting Zagadou play again. He's been brilliant, and the defense has specifically played much better since he came into the lineup. He was the one, not Akanji, that unfortunately lost his starting spot when Hummels came in. They don't make a good pairing because they are both 6'5, so we have to play 3 at the back and add Akanji, whose incredibly shaky. So our CB position is very average with that back 3, but I don't agree that Dortmund doesn't have good CB's. The good ones just don't pair well together.

PSG is trotting out guys like Diallo, Kehrer, Kimpembe, all worse players than Hummels and Zagadou. Thiago Silva is getting up there in age. They don't even use their best CB, Marquinhos, at CB anymore.

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street
Atletico-Liverpool will be fun for neutrals :D

If Hazard is back in time. Madrid shoud beat City, their defense is not good, slightly better with Laporte, but still not enough against a team like Real

Plus, Pep has been coaching like a stubborn idiot this season

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
I disagree, although I agree with your larger point about Leipzig.

Hummels is a little out of form in recent weeks, so he's getting criticism for that, but he was Dortmund's best player the first few months of the season. Also, Favre has just started letting Zagadou play again. He's been brilliant, and the defense has specifically played much better since he came into the lineup. He was the one, not Akanji, that unfortunately lost his starting spot when Hummels came in. They don't make a good pairing because they are both 6'5, so we have to play 3 at the back and add Akanji, whose incredibly shaky. So our CB position is very average with that back 3, but I don't agree that Dortmund doesn't have good CB's. The good ones just don't pair well together.

PSG is trotting out guys like Diallo, Kehrer, Kimpembe, all worse players than Hummels and Zagadou. Thiago Silva is getting up there in age. They don't even use their best CB, Marquinhos, at CB anymore.
Dortmund's CB situation is better than Bayern's. Did you ee what Raciha did with Boateng? Of course you did.
You'll be playing PSG, not Mainz 05, Let*s see what your defence can do vs. powerhouse Leipzig tomorrow.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad