Civil War - Pick a Prospect

Benson or Smith

• Total voters

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I just wanted to get a list so I know where to send my "I told you so" when Smith turns into the next Pastrnak
run this again in June before the draft because I may change my mind. Smith has enough skill that you may not be able to ignore it especially at a premium position.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I’ve watched both play many times over the last two seasons. I like both a lot. I like Benson a lot better.

I’d take Benson over Smith and the 45th pick in the draft. I’d trade Smith and the 45th pick for Benson.

I’m also not a scout and I have no idea what I’m talking about.

Reactions: gorsk11

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
run this again in June before the draft because I may change my mind. Smith has enough skill that you may not be able to ignore it especially at a premium position.
This.
I voted Benson but I need to see Smith at the U18s. Is he a passenger or is he a driver?

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I need to see it for myself. On a big stage.
fair enough. I hope I'm wrong on what I've seen thus far in the games I've watched. He's not someone right now that I'm excited about. But if we are picking 7th? I may have to be.

Jagged Ice

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2011
Central Phoenix
Slight edge to Benson but they are soooo close.
I think we're going to end up with Dvorsky though, and I'm completely fine with that.

Last edited:

Prestigeworldwide

Apr 21, 2017
Both very skilled, flashy and good. Im going with Smith with the size and position.
Im just hoping we dont have to pick either and get Bedard,Fantilli or Carlsson instead.
#MoveVeggie

Reactions: YotesFan47

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
I’ve watched both play many times over the last two seasons. I like both a lot. I like Benson a lot better.

I’d take Benson over Smith and the 45th pick in the draft. I’d trade Smith and the 45th pick for Benson.

I’m also not a scout and I have no idea what I’m talking about.
He's often highly ranked, and while none of us are professional scouts, some of us are very knowledgeable on the game. Don't discount your opinion.

This.
I voted Benson but I need to see Smith at the U18s. Is he a passenger or is he a driver?
That's my fear with Dvorsky. I think he's a very good hockey player, but I fear he won't be the driver on a line.

Freddy Sjostrom

Jun 24, 2018

Not a big sample size on Smith, but IMO this video shows a number of items Will Smith needs to work on. Especially next to Perron and Moore, Smith looks lazy lackadaisical. He’s smart, his puck skills are apparent, and his point totals are excellent, so maybe he is in position most of the time. It’s worth a watch.

Freddy Sjostrom

Jun 24, 2018
That's my fear with Dvorsky. I think he's a very good hockey player, but I fear he won't be the driver on a line.
When he’s played on AIK’s U20, he does drive the play (the games I have seen). He’s a man amongst boys. But on the third line wing in the SHL, not at all. Here is a comment by Pronman about him, as you guys have said, he’s always negative about skating. “His biggest issue is footspeed as his game lacks the pace for higher levels and to make a dent versus men.”

Reactions: YotesFan47

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
When he’s played on AIK’s U20, he does drive the play (the games I have seen). He’s a man amongst boys. But on the third line wing in the SHL, not at all. Here is a comment by Pronman about him, as you guys have said, he’s always negative about skating. “His biggest issue is footspeed as his game lacks the pace for higher levels and to make a dent versus men.”
I like him, just not sure he'll be the guy who makes most of the big plays. Be in on it? Definitely! I think he has all the tools to be a #1 center in the NHL, but he may be of the high end complementary type.

Nothing wrong with that. I think that's who RNH is, same with Hischeir, and with Hayton one day. They're fantastic hockey players, but they're just not elite, but can play with and won't slow down the elite. These are any situation, any line type of guys. And I'm not saying they don't have skills, they do, they just need someone who wants the puck on their stick.

Like in the Keller/Schmaltz relationship, I could see a case for Schmaltz as the passenger and Keller drives that line. I don't agree with that statement, but I could see how someone could believe that. Keller is definitely the primary distributor on that line, but Schmaltz is no slouch.

That was probably way too much lol, but my point was to illustrate that they're very good hockey players. They just don't have that little somethin' to their game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad