Cities Without Hockey That Would Do Better Than Elmira, Wheeling, and Brampton

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny
is any hope that the minor league hockey world could start to fill up the northern states like Wyoming North Dakota or Montana and Washington

You're that guy that looks at the map and sees empty states, no?

The ECHL works better in metro areas with the population of all of Wyoming... or all of North Dakota. Drive those states sometime. That should tell you something. For a winter sport, you need a decent urban population, or at least the cache the University of North Dakota has.

Now Billings? They're short of the needed population, but not by that much. With their relative isolation, I think it's a decent opportunity. Even more helpful is that it's not that far from Rapid City (at least within a Western perspective). It's still a risk. I think downsizing their arena would help.

crobro

Aug 8, 2008
Billings Montana in the Fort macmurray of the states .

High incomes due to being the hub for the fracking industry

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
Those northern states are better suited for junior hockey. I know some of the towns and cities in those areas have NAHL, NA3HL, WSHL, etc. but not all that suited for minor pro hockey. Casper couldn't get a CHL franchise off the ground, and even then they'd probably be toward the bottom half of attendance anyway.

I think one franchise we will see the ECHL move into Utica after the Canucks move their AHL operations west.

Or perhaps in a twist of fate Albany. I could see a scenario where the Devils move into the Utica as a reincarnated Utica Devils, as I believe Utica is ahead of Albany in terms of attendance. It would be nice maybe if the River Rats came back as an ECHL version.

Clinton Comets EHL

Feb 18, 2014
Those northern states are better suited for junior hockey. I know some of the towns and cities in those areas have NAHL, NA3HL, WSHL, etc. but not all that suited for minor pro hockey. Casper couldn't get a CHL franchise off the ground, and even then they'd probably be toward the bottom half of attendance anyway.

I think one franchise we will see the ECHL move into Utica after the Canucks move their AHL operations west.

Or perhaps in a twist of fate Albany. I could see a scenario where the Devils move into the Utica as a reincarnated Utica Devils, as I believe Utica is ahead of Albany in terms of attendance. It would be nice maybe if the River Rats came back as an ECHL version.

God, I hope not.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
OKC is likely done, because you'll need an owner and a franchise because Prodigal has run its course as an owner/operator between the Blazers and the Oiler-owned Barons.

Woo Hockey

@WooHockeyNews
Jul 5, 2014
Worcester, MA
woo.hockey
What do you guys think about a team in Worcester?

Everyone here is pulling for a Boston Bruins affiliated ECHL team here to replace the departing Worcester Sharks, and is something everyone seems to think it could work well here. It's been proven that when a Bruins affiliated team plays here vs the Worcester team, more people attend the games as they know it's a Bruins' team.

JungleJON

May 10, 2011
It would be nice if someone would step up as far as ownership, but the questions is - is their a local person(s) willing to do so?

Everyone here is pulling for a Boston Bruins affiliated ECHL team here to replace the departing Worcester Sharks, and is something everyone seems to think it could work well here. It's been proven that when a Bruins affiliated team plays here vs the Worcester team, more people attend the games as they know it's a Bruins' team.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
It would be nice if someone would step up as far as ownership, but the questions is - is their a local person(s) willing to do so?

rumor has the Providence owner looking at it, but the way the E is structured, would they stay long-term, because of the year to year renewal affiliation.

Woo Hockey

@WooHockeyNews
Jul 5, 2014
Worcester, MA
woo.hockey

rumor has the Providence owner looking at it, but the way the E is structured, would they stay long-term, because of the year to year renewal affiliation.

There has to be a team willing to put their affiliation here before anything else can be done. The likelihood of the Providence Bruins moving here is pretty slim, as they have been very successful in the AHL and are among the top 3 in the league in terms of attendance with around 8,000 people attending on average. Moving an ECHL team for The Boston Bruins to Worcester makes sense as their three teams would then be within a reasonable distance from each other in New England. As the current Bruins ECHL team is in South Carolina and is also affiliated with the Washington Capitals, it would make sense to let those two stay affiliated with each other and have a new team created in Worcester (as there are 2 spots for new teams).

As for any ownerships or ownership groups, it would make sense to have it local, possibly with the city being a part of the group as they are with a local baseball team and they own the hockey arena in the city. Of course, this would come after something is approved by the league along with a possible affiliation.

As an avid hockey fan and someone involved with the social media side of some pages advocating for a new Worcester team, I can say that a new team in Worcester would definitely benefit the city and all the fans who have stuck around from when we lost our beloved IceCats. I can only provide strong speculation on something that may happen in either next year or the year after. There is nothing set in stone but teams have contacted the arena after it was announced the Worcester Sharks were leaving but there hasn't been any progress on bringing a new team here. As it may not seem likely for a team to move here next year, things could change in a moment's notice as the league has been looking to have 30 teams and are currently at 28 for the next season. In order for a team to move here, it needs to make sense for both their organization and for the city officials / the arena.

Nightsquad

Jan 25, 2014

Utica is only barely ahead in attendance in Albany, few hundred per game, not even by a thousand. AHL in Utica is still a novelty, and the team is doing very well. If the teams the Devils have placed in Albany over the last decade and a half called Utica home I would bet the hockey smart CNY fanbase would have run them out of town. If Albany was a NY Rangers farm team I doubt we would even entertain this conversation. The Rangers farm team in Albany would be drawing just as good, if not much better then what the Wolfpack currently draw. Problem with Albany is what the Devils have done to the game of hockey. I have relatives in nearby Clinton Park NY just north of Albany. The Rangers get local media coverage, the Devils barely advertise their games, and only on occasions does the local sports radio stations broadcast some of their away games, and the Devils have publicly acknowledged they are not in Albany to win championships in the AHL but make Stanley Cup contenders down in New Jersey. The fact the town draws over 3000 fans per game is actually impressive. Probably could be 4500 to 5000 fans per game if they had an organization that really cared and put in an effort instead of going through the motions and icing a glorified scrimmage squad club.

Cacciaguida

Jan 11, 2010
Ottawa
Utica is only barely ahead in attendance in Albany, few hundred per game, not even by a thousand. AHL in Utica is still a novelty, and the team is doing very well. If the teams the Devils have placed in Albany over the last decade and a half called Utica home I would bet the hockey smart CNY fanbase would have run them out of town. If Albany was a NY Rangers farm team I doubt we would even entertain this conversation. The Rangers farm team in Albany would be drawing just as good, if not much better then what the Wolfpack currently draw. Problem with Albany is what the Devils have done to the game of hockey. I have relatives in nearby Clinton Park NY just north of Albany. The Rangers get local media coverage, the Devils barely advertise their games, and only on occasions does the local sports radio stations broadcast some of their away games, and the Devils have publicly acknowledged they are not in Albany to win championships in the AHL but make Stanley Cup contenders down in New Jersey. The fact the town draws over 3000 fans per game is actually impressive. Probably could be 4500 to 5000 fans per game if they had an organization that really cared and put in an effort instead of going through the motions and icing a glorified scrimmage squad club.

which doesn't make sense, wouldn't you want your players to win at all levels, just to develop a winning culture?

NJ keeps switching markets, tearing down old identities, under-marketing and mismanaging their affiliates. it's like they have trust issues or something. :shakehead

Royalsflagrunner77

Jul 26, 2013
Birdsboro PA
The way its looking . Its gonna take a couple of years to settle the sea. With all Nhl teams trying to move their affiliates closer. I see alot of movement in the future. Maybe even saving some of the Echl franchise that are in trouble by bringing the affiliated teams closer.

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny

Cheesy theory of the day: if the Bruins aren't going to use Worcester, and if the ECHL is the eventual goal, you're better off not having hockey there for... oh...

...3 years? 5? 10?

I'm making a guess that fans in cities who just lost AHL and got ECHL will turn on those ECHL teams. That's a train that, once on the tracks, is pretty much impossible to stop. Those franchises will die (maybe Manchester will get saved somehow).

If you make "space" and create a pent-up demand for "any hockey at all," then the ECHL franchise you're seeking to own will be better off.

zetajerk

Jan 1, 2015
which doesn't make sense, wouldn't you want your players to win at all levels, just to develop a winning culture?

NJ keeps switching markets, tearing down old identities, under-marketing and mismanaging their affiliates. it's like they have trust issues or something. :shakehead

I don't get it either. What better way is there to give your prospects confidence than to win at the AAA level? The Times Union Center is a great building. It would be nice if it had a tenant that wanted the public's enthusiasm.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
I would add Birmingham, Greensboro and Bossier Shreveport to the list.

Bloomington was a joke.

I'd prefer the OHL expanding there and Belleville if they would just renovate their arenas! North Bay got a team back, it's not impossible!

Long live the Royals!

Wouldn't say the Royals are in amazing health. A couple years ago I forget exactly what but something involving their county purchased half the team because I guess someone was interested in purchasing the team and moving it to Baltimore I believe it was.

Yes the war memorial is still there they have junior team there now but i would love to see a E team there again

The War Memorial is so outdated its not even funny. Just because its there doesn't mean its viable.

Even so for the big stink they made of it I'm not sure Johnstown would want it back. The E isn't the E they are used to. Hell the E now isn't even the E they left. Its changed a lot. Personally the product is....declining in ways.

Understandable, but all three have had teams over the years, and they all fizzled out in a few years.

I'd argue more for a Lowell or New Haven.

New Haven had a go...flopped.

Last edited by a moderator:

CJNewman

Feb 1, 2014
Agreed, i once went to a Marlies game but asked a guy in the crowd why the it was such low attendance. His answer was simple: There are no hockey fans in Toronto, just Leafs fans..

I had that same experience in Toronto when I went to a Marlies game up there earlier this season.

Royalsflagrunner77

Jul 26, 2013
Birdsboro PA
Bloomington was a joke.

Wouldn't say the Royals are in amazing health. A couple years ago I forget exactly what but something involving their county purchased half the team because I guess someone was interested in purchasing the team and moving it to Baltimore I believe it was.

The War Memorial is so outdated its not even funny. Just because its there doesn't mean its viable.

Even so for the big stink they made of it I'm not sure Johnstown would want it back. The E isn't the E they are used to. Hell the E now isn't even the E they left. Its changed a lot. Personally the product is....declining in ways.

New Haven had a go...flopped.

That is true that the city bought the Royals to keep it there. But There is no denying that since the new owner took over and the royals are now affiliated with the flyers . there has been a dramatic increase in attendance this year . Now not only hardcore fans but the casual fan base in the city is recognizing the royals . it also helps that are other sports team are affiliated with philly also. Plus allentown fans have been making the treck down as well.

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
Agreed, i once went to a Marlies game but asked a guy in the crowd why the it was such low attendance. His answer was simple: There are no hockey fans in Toronto, just Leafs fans..

Then why in God's name do people want a second (or first, as the joke goes) NHL team if they don't wanna support the AHL team, the ECHL team, or the OHL teams?

mk80

Jul 30, 2012

Thats the big issue with NJ is that they don't care to run the franchise as a whole, they only care to stash players. However if they want to develope Stanley Cup contenders they should be focused on winning at the AHL level to get prospects playoff experience. In all honesty I've felt for years they'd be better off allowing an idependent owner to run things but I don't see them ever giving up their total control of things.

SemireliableSource

Liter-a-cola
Sep 30, 2006
HSV
Then why in God's name do people want a second (or first, as the joke goes) NHL team if they don't wanna support the AHL team, the ECHL team, or the OHL teams?

Most markets, especially those on the stuck up side, will embrace the majors far before they settle for a minor league team. For a lot of people it's a status thing of being see at the game.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Leafs fans aren't even that great. Watch a game. More suits than anything. Would also say MSG is the most overrated arena ever. Its never loud unless their team is winning a big game. They are only then into the games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad