Confirmed with Link: Chychrun to Ottawa

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
For me, I remain underwhelmed with Brann and disappointed. I wanted to see him take a big step this season. He has improved but it's not what I hoped.
He's limited defensively and doesn't create much offense. That said, he's only 23. He's still very much a work in progress. He'll never be Quinn Hughes or Josh Morrissey, but it's easy to picture him at 25-26 as a reliable, puck moving D.
He's improved a lot this year but he's not really a difference maker and not the kind of guy you want on your D in Rounds 3 and 4 of the playoffs.

He'll do for now though. He's gotten way better very recently. If he keeps improving we may be able to get something decent for him in a trade.

WallyD

Nov 20, 2022
Wait a second, the condition on the 2024 1st is based on the Sens making the Eastern Conference Final THIS year?

Holy crap, I took that condition to mean that if we made the ECF next season they'd get our 1st.

That makes the trade even better in my estimation. I mean we're not even certain to make the playoffs this year, and even if we were to make it, chances of getting to the ECF are low.

Definitely a massive steal here. Dorion's best trade by far.
Ya, it's quite convoluted, all the conditions, but those conditions are quite well done. It takes a bit to get your head wrapped around it, but if you lay that out, any 2024 conditional pick could not be depend on what happens in 2024 as that draft preceeds that season.

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
The ECF condition is hilarious. Basically guarantees that 2024 second can't move up. And if it does who cares because the 2023 first will be 28-32.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
For me, I remain underwhelmed with Brann and disappointed. I wanted to see him take a big step this season. He has improved but it's not what I hoped.
He's limited defensively and doesn't create much offense. That said, he's only 23. He's still very much a work in progress. He'll never be Quinn Hughes or Josh Morrissey, but it's easy to picture him at 25-26 as a reliable, puck moving D.

Bro he's been playing under DJ Smith most of his career, so to see how much better he is in his own end while starting to find some offense is huge at this stage. Not that he was as bad as the haters kept insisting he was mind you but there's a clear and steady upwards curve here and if he gets to not have Holden as his partner full time it can only get better.

He's improved a lot this year but he's not really a difference maker and not the kind of guy you want on your D in Rounds 3 and 4 of the playoffs.

He'll do for now though. He's gotten way better very recently. If he keeps improving we may be able to get something decent for him in a trade.

Lame.

Look at other #5 dmen around the league and tell me he isn't on par or better than the majority of them. All this while playing limited minutes paired with old man Holden under a non-existent defensive system.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Thinking more about
Lol oh man you are really out to lunch on this one and are embarrassing yourself. Even typical Branny haters like Methot and Shawn Simpson have come around and are excited to have him as our #5 guy slotted in going forward.

But I guess some people are just unable to change their views once they make up their mind. Sad!

Nah bro you should just take the L on this one

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
"We owe it to the players. Anyone who has watched us the last little while can’t not be impressed with how they’ve played, how hard they’ve worked... They’ve sent me an indirect message, some said it publicly but for us, it was a message from them. Please do something. We believe in this team and I probably shouldn’t say this but I made a promise to Claude Giroux that we’d get a defenceman before the end of the year: we got him a defenceman," Dorion said Thursday.

Go Claudefather!!!! :clap:

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Thinking more about

Nah bro you should just take the L on this one

Bro, there's been a clear consensus in the last few months that Brannstrom has fortified his spot at #5 so you might want to reconsider who's taking an L on this one.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
"We owe it to the players. Anyone who has watched us the last little while can’t not be impressed with how they’ve played, how hard they’ve worked... They’ve sent me an indirect message, some said it publicly but for us, it was a message from them. Please do something. We believe in this team and I probably shouldn’t say this but I made a promise to Claude Giroux that we’d get a defenceman before the end of the year: we got him a defenceman," Dorion said Thursday.

There's no better way to get a GM in action than to have star players force the issue. It can be annoying in some cases, but I love it in a situation like this where the player basically forced the GM's hand to improve the team. And Dorion did a good job with also having an eye on tomorrow with a guy like Chychrun instead of just an expiring ufa.

This is the kind of thing Dorion is able to grant with Melnyk out of the picture unlike when Alfie was there asking for the same from Murray.

Reactions: SensFactor

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Look at other #5 dmen around the league and tell me he isn't on par or better than the majority of them. All this while playing limited minutes paired with old man Holden under a non-existent defensive system.
He's certainly proven to be a reliable D but we've never seen him in the playoffs and it is easy to imagine him getting overpowered when the intensity will be at its apex.

I'm not saying we should trade him but he's now stuck on the bottom pairing here. He may end up proving to be too good for that role and that means we'll have to trade him.

Reactions: bert

WallyD

Nov 20, 2022
Did I say you did?

Your original point was that we needed to add a big body.

My point is that we did. One that will actually have significant minutes and impact.

Holden and Hamonic are big boys as well.

Zub, Chabot and Sanderson have size as well.

Adding Chychrun gives us plenty of size on the Blueline.

We may even get to see the beast that is Kleven this year.

Size for size sake is something that we don't need.

Upgrades, Particularly for Hamonic and Holden come is all sizes.
I'm on the same page as you on this one. I'm not particularly worried about D size on Ottawa considering we just got bigger. Honestly, our biggest body D happens to be our, um, least best. Even Branny who is small relatively speaking plays bigger than he is. With his mobility and bigs surrounding him, he should be fine. He may even do well shoring up the others as a RD, playing his off side. He will need to move the puck quickly, which he has improved at significantly this year.

The shocking D core is Vancouver. With the trade there yesterday (Filip Hronek), I could be wrong but I believe their entire D core is now under 6'! PH may be a decent player for them, but wow, not exactly building an intimidating back end. The Vancouver market seem to be quite apoplectic over the deal and their payment was more steep than Ottawa's.

WallyD

Nov 20, 2022
Waking up this morning (since 3am) is seems like I'm still dreaming, what a huge turn of events with just that ONE trade!

I wish I could be in the Sens locker when JC enters the room with huge from everyone!
Who among the (Sens) faithful does not want to be around for the (2nd) coming of JC?! :)

Reactions: guyzeur

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus

How awesome that we have an Alfie v2 just in time for us to make a go at it for the stretch run? Today is a WONDERFUL day to be a Sens fan, the future was already looking bright, but the future appears to be nigh!

Pretty sure Dorion is flexing his biceps Brady style right now! Dorion has been brilliant!!

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
How awesome that we have an Alfie v2 just in time for us to make a go at it for the stretch run? Today is a WONDERFUL day to be a Sens fan, the future was already looking bright, but the future appears to be nigh!

Pretty sure Dorion is flexing his biceps Brady style right now! Dorion has been brilliant!!
The influence that Giroux has on this team is incredible on and off the ice.

Tragedy

Jan 10, 2013
Regina, SK
For sure he’s an upgrade and a top 4 on this team, just wondering if he’s good or elite 2nd pairing of good or top pairing - can he plays both sides??

Recent scouting reports say he’s skating isn’t so great (could be injuries) and his impact is limited (terrible team) - but let’s see.

Chemistry will be a big part of this
I mean take the Athletic's player evaluation cards with a grain of salt but they have him pegged as worth a 10.4M contract

1677776868656.png

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007

I love that for many reasons. Not the least of which is now Giroux can confidently think about competing going forward.

Reactions: SensFactor

WallyD

Nov 20, 2022
I've really liked his game the last little while - even with some of the mistakes - but can't help but feel that we could find someone better long term for that spot.
One thing to consider is that most all of the Sens key D positions (top-6) we've been speaking of should be better positioned, less boat-anchored by weaker D like Zaitsev, Holden, even Hamonic to a degree. I'm ok if Hamonic is seated on the 3rd pairing where he belongs, at best. Honestly, I'd rather see them bring up and try better skilled AHL D in that 6 spot. My point is that this is a sum of the parts issue, having more capable stable partners / pairings means they all play better. Also means every little mistake should not end up in the back of their net and your goalies fair better too.

Btw - this especially applies to Branny whom I have been saying is better than he appears. With stronger partners he may do much better. I have stated his biggest issue is he needs to move the puck quicker, and not watch all his shooting lanes close while he dusts off the puck every pass. He has very much improved over the year in that area, but this D core strength may serve him very well. Guess we'll see. Just my read...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad