Rumor: Chychrun has Soured on Ottawa, Unlikely to Extend

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
If Chychrun is as flawed as a number of Ottawa fans are suggesting, what team is offering much of anything to trade for him? According to some he doesn't hit, doesn't play much actual defense, and struggles with passing and reading the game. The consensus is that at least he can skate and shoot. Is that worth what he's getting on his deal at all or is he actually better than the harsher critics suggest? If Ottawa struggled the way it did and has several players better than Chychrun at the same position doesn't that sort of suggest he's terrible overall? Doesn't that make him a cap dump? I can't imagine he's as bad as the critics suggest.

I think a number of posters are being overly critical but for Ottawa it hasn't been a good fit. Chychrun is a good player who didn't get a shot to thrive because he didn't have the support around him defensively and offensively other players were preferred. He is an offensive D, who was often the third option in offensive situations. He wasn't the go to option in any situation and his defensive deficincies were highlighted because the team as a whole struggled to keep pucks out of the net.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I think a number of posters are being overly critical but for Ottawa it hasn't been a good fit. Chychrun is a good player who didn't get a shot to thrive because he didn't have the support around him defensively and offensively other players were preferred. He is an offensive D, who was often the third option in offensive situations. He wasn't the go to option in any situation and his defensive deficincies were highlighted because the team as a whole struggled to keep pucks out of the net.
That's fair and makes sense. If the relationship is unsalvageable they can certainly trade him at the draft, but it likely won't be for a great return. Alternatively, they can try to compete next season, keep him and maybe he's a self rental. If the team falters again they can probably trade him with retention at the deadline for something similar to what they would get in the summer. If he's a third option in Ottawa I'm not sure how many teams he'd be a first option on at this point.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
That's fair and makes sense. If the relationship is unsalvageable they can certainly trade him at the draft, but it likely won't be for a great return. Alternatively, they can try to compete next season, keep him and maybe he's a self rental. If the team falters again they can probably trade him with retention at the deadline for something similar to what they would get in the summer. If he's a third option in Ottawa I'm not sure how many teams he'd be a first option on at this point.
I don't think the relationship is unsalvageable whatsoever... I dont think there is bad blood, just bad fit... but I also don't think its in anyones best interest to drag this out.

Reactions: bert

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010

I don't think there's any shame in being behind Sanderson and Chabot, they are both very strong in transition. He doesn't need to be the #1 D but just more offensive opportunity and more support defensively. Boston, Minnesota and St. Louis are some teams I could see him doing well with. When it comes to team building you need a mix of players that balance each other. It's not just about having the best players. With Ottawa, they lacked a good mix of players that can fill different roles. Chyrchrun wasn't abl;e to evolve his game to what they needed. Him and Chabot filled the exact same role and didn't have stronger options defensively outside of Sanderson and Zub.

Reactions: Voight and My3Sons

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Why? They will get max value this summer, with the acquiring team having him for all of next season and having a full year to negotiate an extension.
Typically more demand for a player when near deadline due to cap space

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Teams typically have more cap space in the off season, or at least more options to make cap space.
With banking, usually not true I think. Being able to bank like 1M into 4M let’s a good a number of contenders finance acquisitions

funky

Time for the future. More Byfield and Clarke
Mar 9, 2002
Love Gavrikov but Kings need puck movers. Well that and a GM, a coach, a goalie and probably better fans than myself.

Gavrikov and Kaliyev for Chychrun and a 3rd. ?

Reactions: Reaper45

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Love Gavrikov but Kings need puck movers. Well that and a GM, a coach, a goalie and probably better fans than myself.

Gavrikov and Kaliyev for Chychrun and a 3rd. ?
no thank you. LA needs more stay at home type of D-men not puck movers. We will have Doughty, Spence and Clarke on the right side next year. Should be able to move the puck with them.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Chychrun seems to sour rather quickly.

Everything from Arizona does, I can’t think of a major player that didn’t immediately get worse after moving to a real team after getting the micro market hipster hypetrain. Bryz, Yandle, Chychrun, Garland, OEL, Dvorak..

I think Domi’s the only one who had a better season after leaving, I guess Bunting if you want to count a handful of games.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I don't think there's any shame in being behind Sanderson and Chabot, they are both very strong in transition. He doesn't need to be the #1 D but just more offensive opportunity and more support defensively. Boston, Minnesota and St. Louis are some teams I could see him doing well with. When it comes to team building you need a mix of players that balance each other. It's not just about having the best players. With Ottawa, they lacked a good mix of players that can fill different roles. Chyrchrun wasn't abl;e to evolve his game to what they needed. Him and Chabot filled the exact same role and didn't have stronger options defensively outside of Sanderson and Zub.
I’m surprised that he didn’t pan out with Ottawa. He seems like a solid two way player but as you’ve noted team building requires balance and he just hasn’t fit long term there. I’m sure he will find a good landing spot but my guess is Ottawa will have limited spots to trade him based on where he will be open to an extension.

TheFinalWord

Apr 25, 2005
Probably best to keep him until the deadline, but what would be the expected ask?
This is not a good idea. What if Ottawa is in a playoff spot? You're really going to deal him then? I doubt it. Trade him now for assets. Don't get yourself in a Philly situation.

Reactions: Emerica

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
This was always gonna happen after Sanderson got his money, and the changes in the front office.

Now, what can they actually get for him? Do they try getting one future, and one of those high end professional players, to surround their young players with?

I’d be careful thinking it’ll be a futures only type deal. How about back to Salt Lake? How about to Seattle for Larsson? Would Detroit add their 15OA in a deal, as well as one of those pro pros type players they want to add?

They can be pretty open with what type of deal they’d like. Unfortunately, he’s going to have a big say where he goes.

Hopefully, he doesn’t pull the Debrincat card, but he certainly could. How about Nashville in a Saros deal??

OV Rocks

Jan 5, 2014
Beach with Beer
I think he would be a perfect partner for John Carlson on the Caps.

1st plus Alexeyev or van Riemsdyk. I would even throw in a mid round pick for 50% retention

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad