Rumor: Chychrun has Soured on Ottawa, Unlikely to Extend

Silky Johnson

I wish you all the bad things in life.
Mar 9, 2015
London, UK
Juolevi over M. Tkachuk
Virtanen over Nylander/Ehlers
9th overall + 2nd for OEL and Garland (OEL bought out 2 seasons later)
McCann + 33rd overall (our scouts liked DeBrincat) for Gudbranson
Bonino for Sutter (and giving him an absurd contract before he played a game as a Canuck)
Letting Tanev and Toffoli walk as free agents (they wanted to re-sign) in favour of signing guys like Virtanen and Holtby (bought out)
Signing Eriksson to 6x6
Losing a first round pick because of lying or incompetence.
Mike Zibanejad and a 2nd for Brassard. (Yes ottawa gave the second in this deal)
Stone for Branstromm
Taking Boucher @ 7OA
Both Duchesne trades...
Trading a fortune for Dibrincat (when there was no way he stays)
Signing the Matt Murray for 4 by 25mil (buyout)
Signing Korpisalo for 5 by 20mil (soon to be buyout)
Trading Connor Brown just because.
Michael Del Zotto signing and buyout.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Mike Zibanejad and a 2nd for Brassard. (Yes ottawa gave the second in this deal)
Stone for Branstromm
Taking Boucher @ 7OA
Both Duchesne trades...
I mean they’re both bad but you need to judge the trade at the time it occurred and not with hindsight, which changes things like the Brannstrom trade. Wasn’t the original Duchene trade driven by the owner?

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
To be fair that's a fine proposal right now.

Don't think Chychrun will return much more than a couple 2nds.

Do you think Chychrun would be willing to re-sign with his former team given the team now has a new home and some stability?
I would imagine the ask from the Sens would be Lamoureux and their 2nd back.

Leafsfanperson

Jan 27, 2024
Promising in Arizona but he's heading into Pierre Marc Dubois territory where he's gunna have attitude issue and want to be paid.

Not a talent I'd be motivated to trade for then constantly accommodate. Ottawa can set the tone by making an example of him.

From my everything Leafs perspective, he'd look good on paper but this market would eat him alive.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

Silky Johnson

Mar 9, 2015
London, UK
I mean they’re both bad but you need to judge the trade at the time it occurred and not with hindsight, which changes things like the Brannstrom trade. Wasn’t the original Duchene trade driven by the owner?
Brannstrom was always bad. Duchesne, I don't know. But losing a 1st rounder because of sheer incompetence...

Agreed they are both bad.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
If Chychrun is as flawed as a number of Ottawa fans are suggesting, what team is offering much of anything to trade for him? According to some he doesn't hit, doesn't play much actual defense, and struggles with passing and reading the game. The consensus is that at least he can skate and shoot. Is that worth what he's getting on his deal at all or is he actually better than the harsher critics suggest? If Ottawa struggled the way it did and has several players better than Chychrun at the same position doesn't that sort of suggest he's terrible overall? Doesn't that make him a cap dump? I can't imagine he's as bad as the critics suggest.

Reactions: LokiDog

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
If Chychrun is as flawed as a number of Ottawa fans are suggesting, what team is offering much of anything to trade for him? According to some he doesn't hit, doesn't play much actual defense, and struggles with passing and reading the game. The consensus is that at least he can skate and shoot. Is that worth what he's getting on his deal at all or is he actually better than the harsher critics suggest? If Ottawa struggled the way it did and has several players better than Chychrun at the same position doesn't that sort of suggest he's terrible overall? Doesn't that make him a cap dump? I can't imagine he's as bad as the critics suggest.
He is a legit shooting threat on the PP. For any team struggling offensively, that has value…. Even with the other warts.

Reactions: My3Sons

thedjpd

Sponsor
Dec 12, 2002
San Jose, CA

Really is ironic right?

Reactions: LokiDog and My3Sons

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
What team wants to pay $4.6 mil per for a one trick pony and pay assets for that privilege? He’s got to be better than suggested.
Teams do some pretty stupid / desperate things in the summer when they think they have a shot at making the playoffs in the coming season.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
There is definitely a deal to be made for Chychrun. Do you guys have any interest in moving Carlo.

He was great in the 6th sense “ I draft dead people”

Carlo’s NTC probably doesn’t have interest. And even if it didn’t he is one of those “requires overpayment” kind of guys because of how the roster is constructed.

Pebble live

Oct 17, 2021
man sounds like an awful two years. Glad you could find a city that matched your vibrant personality better.

Everyday location snobs are the worst. I highly doubt that poster is a millionaire playboy who picks where he wants to work. Likely pays $2700/month rent for an apartment in toronto.
Live in California. Won't specify where but that doesn't really matter. It's not hard to beat the depressed nightmare that is Ottawa.

Reactions: Devonator

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Stone for Branstromm
Taking Boucher @ 7OA
Both Duchesne trades...
The sens then traded Brassard for a 1st and Gustavsson, who Dorion later pissed away.

Ottawa also got a 2nd in the Brannstrom deal.

Boucher was drafted 10th overall.

Matt Murray was pawned off on Toronto with slight retention.

Connor Brown was solid for Ottawa and got lucky as he got hurt and then sucked major ass.

Dorion still sucks

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I'm on board Chychrun for Ullmark

There were the LA rumors and then a Ullmark and a defenseman for a defenseman from an eastern team rumor. I’ve always guessed it was Ullmark + Gryz/Forbort for Chychrun (but I don’t know shit, to be clear) because NJ doesn’t have a d-man that makes sense value wise. I’d do Ullmark for Chychrun from a Bruins POV, just not sure if Ullmark would after being in Buffalo and hating being in an org that was kind of a mess. Which is why I keep wondering if there is something around Swayman, but there would need to be a significant plus on top of Chychrun and I don’t see what fits.

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
There were the LA rumors and then a Ullmark and a defenseman for a defenseman from an eastern team rumor. I’ve always guessed it was Ullmark + Gryz/Forbort for Chychrun (but I don’t know shit, to be clear) because NJ doesn’t have a d-man that makes sense value wise. I’d do Ullmark for Chychrun from a Bruins POV, just not sure if Ullmark would after being in Buffalo and hating being in an org that was kind of a mess. Which is why I keep wondering if there is something around Swayman, but there would need to be a significant plus on top of Chychrun and I don’t see what fits.

Boston probably asks for Pinto, and Ottawa obviously declines when it comes to Swayman.

Reactions: wintersej

SPF6ty9

Feb 22, 2016
Caca Poopoo Peepee Shire
Stone for Branstromm
Taking Boucher @ 7OA
Both Duchesne trades...
It wasn't the most damaging in terms of wasted capital, but trading a high 2nd for an over the hill Stepan who first off sucked, but didn't want to come here, during the covid year, after he just had a kid and wanted to be near home...was such a clear sign at how stupid Dorion was to not do the most basic due diligence.

I don't say this lightly, but there are plenty of people on this website that could have done a better job.

Reactions: bert

Silky Johnson

Mar 9, 2015
London, UK
It wasn't the most damaging in terms of wasted capital, but trading a high 2nd for an over the hill Stepan who first off sucked, but didn't want to come here, during the covid year, after he just had a kid and wanted to be near home...was such a clear sign at how stupid Dorion was to not do the most basic due diligence.

I don't say this lightly, but there are plenty of people on this website that could have done a better job.
I wouldn't say I could. I would have punched Eugene and got fired very shortly into my tenure.

Reactions: Laphroaig

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
The pro scouts can’t all be morons. He must do more than shoot on the PP and skate around aimlessly.
He's being sold short, he is just a little superfluous in Ottawa because a lot of the things he can do well are done better by Chabot and Sanderson, and his weaknesses are things most of our D struggle with.

That said, I don't think he will get a ton in a trade and I dont think anyone should pay him more than $6.5mil

Live in California. Won't specify where but that doesn't really matter. It's not hard to beat the depressed nightmare that is Ottawa.
Your own farts just smell better next to the ocean, y'know?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad