Proposal: Chychrun+ for Weegar or Andersson

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Flames fans, any interest in a Chychrun swap for one of Weegar or Andersson and what might need to be added to get it done if so?

Tough with Chychrun's contract status and Calgary's unknown direction.

If not Chychrun, are these guys considered to be available at all or should I assume they're untouchables. What else might you want from Ottawa for 1 of those 2?

Razor Face

Feb 17, 2020
Yaaaa I don't see CGY fans giving up either of those RD for a guy who can't play 60 games consistently
Was a silly trade by Dorion and will likely flame out and have to sell low on him in July.

No argument that Dorion was a bad GM.

Ottawa's biggest issue is their 3 best defenseman are all lefties... swapping one of them for an RD just makes sense for team construction.

Chychrun has played really well this year, hasn't missed a game and is also signed into next year so no idea why you have them selling low in July.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Flames fans, any interest in a Chychrun swap for one of Weegar or Andersson and what might need to be added to get it done if so?

If not Chychrun, are these guys considered to be available at all or should I assume they're untouchables. What else might you want from Ottawa for 1 of those 2?
Our biggest need moving forward is at the center position. I'm not super interested in moving a RD for a LD. RD are tough to replace.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008

Chychrun wants to play for a contender and the Calgary Flames are far from contenders.

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
Funnily enough I think weegs is actually better on the left side but yeah, no real interest in moving either of them unless it’s for a good young C

Don’t think Ottawa has interest in moving either of Pinto or Greig which is who Calgary would probably be targeting as a piece in the deal coming back the other way

They don’t have anyone in the organization close to being ready to fill in the hole it would leave moving one of those guys out, especially considering they’re about to lose Tanev and likely Hanifin as well

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009

Ottawa's biggest issue is their 3 best defenseman are all lefties... swapping one of them for an RD just makes sense for team construction.

Chychrun has played really well this year, hasn't missed a game and is also signed into next year so no idea why you have them selling low in July.
Yeah Ottawa is overloaded on Left side. Would Calgary want Chabot. He has term. if I am Ottawa I would rather move Chabot that Chychrun. Chabot for Andersson I would do from the Ottawa side if I could extend Chychrun

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada

Oh I get the reasoning for sure but as you know, good top 4 RD are rare to find/trade for.

Should have worded it better, more meant he only has that one year left so from the time Dorion traded for Chychrun, his return value will be a lot less IMO.

Reactions: Razor Face

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Yaaaa I don't see CGY fans giving up either of those RD for a guy who can't play 60 games consistently
Was a silly trade by Dorion and will likely flame out and have to sell low on him in July.
That's fair criticism. Dorion was a goof of epic proportions. I do think we might have gotten a healthy season at the right time as far as his value goes. *knocks wood* I do think he's played well this year and good value can be had for him, but we'll see.
Our biggest need moving forward is at the center position. I'm not super interested in moving a RD for a LD. RD are tough to replace.
That's fair. Only center I think some Sens fans would entertain is Norris. That's likely unappealing to Calgary, and imo, Norris is going to bounce back if he can stay healthy.
Chychrun wants to play for a contender and the Calgary Flames are far from contenders.
That's fair. I don't think I've heard that specifically, but safe assumption given his previous comments and career trajectory. I almost didn't post it for this reason, but I also thought if the Sens really wanted to push for someone, and of course these are the two I wish they would, it could end up being a trade by proxy with Chychrun's return from elsewhere playing a part for an acquisition.
Funnily enough I think weegs is actually better on the left side but yeah, no real interest in moving either of them unless it’s for a good young C

Don’t think Ottawa has interest in moving either of Pinto or Greig which is who Calgary would probably be targeting as a piece in the deal coming back the other way

They don’t have anyone in the organization close to being ready to fill in the hole it would leave moving one of those guys out, especially considering they’re about to lose Tanev and likely Hanifin as well
Interesting. I watch a lot of Calgary since I live in the West, but I didn't pick that up much I guess. I would love Weegar, but if it ever were a thing for Ottawa, it would have to be for the right side.

Agreed on your 2nd point. Probably stops it in its tracks. We don't have anything not on the big team that moves the needle enough I'm sure.

Yeah Ottawa is overloaded on Left side. Would Calgary want Chabot. He has term. if I am Ottawa I would rather move Chabot that Chychrun. Chabot for Andersson I would do from the Ottawa side if I could extend Chychrun
Personally, I would want Chychrun moved before Chabot.

Reactions: crackdown44

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
That's fair criticism. Dorion was a goof of epic proportions. I do think we might have gotten a healthy season at the right time as far as his value goes. *knocks wood* I do think he's played well this year and good value can be had for him, but we'll see.

That's fair. Only center I think some Sens fans would entertain is Norris. That's likely unappealing to Calgary, and imo, Norris is going to bounce back if he can stay healthy.

That's fair. I don't think I've heard that specifically, but safe assumption given his previous comments and career trajectory. I almost didn't post it for this reason, but I also thought if the Sens really wanted to push for someone, and of course these are the two I wish they would, it could end up being a trade by proxy with Chychrun's return from elsewhere playing a part for an acquisition.

Interesting. I watch a lot of Calgary since I live in the West, but I didn't pick that up much I guess. I would love Weegar, but if it ever were a thing for Ottawa, it would have to be for the right side.

Agreed on your 2nd point. Probably stops it in its tracks. We don't have anything not on the big team that moves the needle enough I'm sure.

Personally, I would want Chychrun moved before Chabot.
I'm just saying you have to give to get. You're asking for a top pairing RD. That doesn't come cheap. Ottawa is in a weird spot. The rebuild appears to be stalled. I don't totally understand why, there is a lot of talent there. I think the lineup needs some starch throughout it. No one seems to want to play a sound defensive game. That goes for blueliners and forwards. They need a Coleman/Hyman type and a Tanev/Pesce type this offseason.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I'm just saying you have to give to get. You're asking for a top pairing RD. That doesn't come cheap. Ottawa is in a weird spot. The rebuild appears to be stalled. I don't totally understand why, there is a lot of talent there. I think the lineup needs some starch throughout it. No one seems to want to play a sound defensive game. That goes for blueliners and forwards. They need a Coleman/Hyman type and a Tanev/Pesce type this offseason.
That's fair. That's where I'm trying to gauge value from actual Flames fans instead of just more Sens side banter. It sounds like they are both indeed valued as high end top pairing RD, which is how I view them too.

Maybe the shine is coming off Chychrun, but he was assumed to be capable of that or close to, but LD, when acquired. I'd thought maybe he's a guy Calgary would want to sign and be part of the retool, given his age, but getting him to sign could be difficult even if they were interested.

The 3 stooges era in Ottawa is why. The rebuild was stalled because they had one of the worst owners in sports who hired the architect of it all and he basically backed his way into having a decent roster at the end of it all. It was still always about operating as cheaply as possible under Melnyk, with a toxic work environment, and instead of stacking assets, were sending them out the door for plugs and giving bad contracts to UFA's. They scorched earth like almost never before, and if it weren't for the Karlsson deal working out so well, would be an absolute disaster right now, which never should have been like that given the opportunity. Then that bad GM hired a coach that couldn't get the job done and let him survive 1 and 1/4 season beyond expiry. They look so much better under Jacques Martin and Alfie and the underlying numbers support the turnaround. I believe we're now on the cusp of being a good team, even with the players in house only atm, but we would like some grit like the type you say. Hence all the rumored interest in Tanev, but the consensus amongst most is he's too old to pursue.

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
That's fair. That's where I'm trying to gauge value from actual Flames fans instead of just more Sens side banter. It sounds like they are both indeed valued as high end top pairing RD, which is how I view them too.

Maybe the shine is coming off Chychrun, but he was assumed to be capable of that or close to, but LD, when acquired. I'd thought maybe he's a guy Calgary would want to sign and be part of the retool, given his age, but getting him to sign could be difficult even if they were interested.

The 3 stooges era in Ottawa is why. The rebuild was stalled because they had one of the worst owners in sports who hired the architect of it all and he basically backed his way into having a decent roster at the end of it all. It was still always about operating as cheaply as possible under Melnyk, with a toxic work environment, and instead of stacking assets, were sending them out the door for plugs and giving bad contracts to UFA's. They scorched earth like almost never before, and if it weren't for the Karlsson deal working out so well, would be an absolute disaster right now, which never should have been like that given the opportunity. Then that bad GM hired a coach that couldn't get the job done and let him survive 1 and 1/4 season beyond expiry. They look so much better under Jacques Martin and Alfie and the underlying numbers support the turnaround. I believe we're now on the cusp of being a good team, even with the players in house only atm, but we would like some grit like the type you say. Hence all the rumored interest in Tanev.

With the exception of the newly added Brzustewizc almost every single somewhat interesting D prospect Calgary has is left handed as well

Morin/Poirier/Solovyov/Kuznetzov are all lefties. Just can’t see them moving Andersson or Weegar unless it’s for a really interesting young center or center prospect coming back the other way in the package

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011

The 3 stooges era in Ottawa is why. The rebuild was stalled because they had one of the worst owners in sports who hired the architect of it all and he basically backed his way into having a decent roster at the end of it all. It was still always about operating as cheaply as possible under Melnyk, with a toxic work environment, and instead of stacking assets, were sending them out the door for plugs and giving bad contracts to UFA's. They scorched earth like almost never before, and if it weren't for the Karlsson deal working out so well, would be an absolute disaster right now, which never should have been like that given the opportunity. Then that bad GM hired a coach that couldn't get the job done and let him survive 1 and 1/4 season beyond expiry. They look so much better under Jacques Martin and Alfie and the underlying numbers support the turnaround. I believe we're now on the cusp of being a good team, even with the players in house only atm, but we would like some grit like the type you say. Hence all the rumored interest in Tanev, but the consensus amongst most is he's too old to pursue.
I'd value them as top pairing, but not high end top pairing. Both are good players who are prone to some big mistakes at times despite good defense in general. They can both put up 15 goals for you too. If they could eliminate the big mistakes they'd be high end top pairing, but both are what they are at this point.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
With the exception of the newly added Brzustewizc almost every single somewhat interesting D prospect Calgary has is left handed as well

Morin/Poirier/Solovyov/Kuznetzov are all lefties. Just can’t see them moving Andersson or Weegar unless it’s for a really interesting young center or center prospect coming back the other way in the package
No thanks.

I don't think the Sens would like the ask either. We need our righties.
I'd value them as top pairing, but not high end top pairing. Both are good players who are prone to some big mistakes at times despite good defense in general. They can both put up 15 goals for you too. If they could eliminate the big mistakes they'd be high end top pairing, but both are what they are at this point.
Fair enough. Thanks for the feedback anyways. I'm sensing these guys are much more valued than some assume. It makes sense since they both have relatively nice contracts and they play a high demand position.

Calgary rebuilding seems to be an assumption a lot hold on HFboards in various corners, so their names come up quite a bit, but I'm pretty up on Calgary and I argue they aren't. It seems like they have no interest in scorching to the ground, nor do I personally feel like they need to. We just threw away over half a decade of interesting hockey in Ottawa, it ain't easy.

I guess maybe I thought Chychrun might be more interesting to a retooling team as a long term piece, but hard to argue for a player we're about to trade away.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Fair enough. Thanks for the feedback anyways. I'm sensing these guys are much more valued than some assume. It makes sense since they both have relatively nice contracts and they play a high demand position.

Calgary rebuilding seems to be an assumption a lot hold on HFboards in various corners, so their names come up quite a bit, but I'm pretty up on Calgary and I argue they aren't. It seems like they have no interest in scorching to the ground, nor do I personally feel like they need to. We just threw away over half a decade of interesting hockey in Ottawa, it ain't easy.

I guess maybe I thought Chychrun might be more interesting to a retooling team as a long term piece, but hard to argue for a player we're about to trade away.
I think it's kind of semantics in our market. What defines a rebuild vs retool? I don't think a burn it to the ground and finish 32nd is what we will do. Keeping some guys to insulate young players makes sense to me. Guys like Backlund, Coleman, Weegar, Andersson and Kylington are the players 25 and older I'd prefer to keep. Too many rebuilds stall out because the roster doesn't develop right without that example and culture. Obviously we're keeping Huberdeau too, but that's not because we want to...haha I'd keep Hanifin too if he would sign under 8M. But I think that ship has sailed.

Ledge And Dairy

I would love Chychrun on the Flames but Calgary is not at all interested in a player swap with either of Weegar or Andersson. It just simply doesn't improve the team. I think Calgary will just wait and see if he hits UFA in 2 years to try and sign him.

My suggestion would be to go hard after one of Pesce, Tanev, or Roy in free agency this summer.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
As it stands, it seems there's not a single top-4 RD Ottawa would want, where the reasonable ask doesn't start with Pinto.

I would personally explore trading him, but I don't think other Sens fans would be in the same boat.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I think it's kind of semantics in our market. What defines a rebuild vs retool? I don't think a burn it to the ground and finish 32nd is what we will do. Keeping some guys to insulate young players makes sense to me. Guys like Backlund, Coleman, Weegar, Andersson and Kylington are the players 25 and older I'd prefer to keep. Too many rebuilds stall out because the roster doesn't develop right without that example and culture. Obviously we're keeping Huberdeau too, but that's not because we want to...haha I'd keep Hanifin too if he would sign under 8M. But I think that ship has sailed.
You make a lot of good points. Lindholm, Tanev & Hanifin is already a lot to go out the door in one season. Calgary has plenty of valuable assets to shed this year (and the years that follow) to bring in quality pieces as time moves on, so I don't think scorched earth is required. Hell, you might make the playoffs ffs lol. But ya, you most definitely want to try to prevent what happened in Ottawa where they basically ended up with no quality vets left and the only ones showing the kids are ones that can't even pull their own weight.
I would love Chychrun on the Flames but Calgary is not at all interested in a player swap with either of Weegar or Andersson. It just simply doesn't improve the team. I think Calgary will just wait and see if he hits UFA in 2 years to try and sign him.

My suggestion would be to go hard after one of Pesce, Tanev, or Roy in free agency this summer.
Nice to hear someone that might actually want Chychrun in some form and the contract it will take lol.

I would agree about going after those guys and would hope they would throw their hat in the ring, but I don't think Ottawa Senators fans can hope for many of the top UFA's. Tanev seems like a maybe since he's signed in Canada twice, but most Sens fans have no interest because of his age. I am interested for the right price.
As it stands, it seems there's not a single top-4 RD Ottawa would want, where the reasonable ask doesn't start with Pinto.

I would personally explore trading him, but I don't think other Sens fans would be in the same boat.
Ya, not for me. I'd be looking to move Norris way before Pinto. But then we aren't getting much, if anything, for him, so fair point. I'd hold off if Cgy needed Pinto to do it.

Ledge And Dairy

Nice to hear someone that might actually want Chychrun in some form and the contract it will take lol.

I would agree about going after those guys and would hope they would throw their hat in the ring, but I don't think Ottawa Senators fans can hope for many of the top UFA's. Tanev seems like a maybe since he's signed in Canada twice, but most Sens fans have no interest because of his age. I am interested for the right price.
I think Chychrun is criminally underrated and is actually having quite a good season. Personally if I was the Sens I would be exploring trading Chabot instead.

As for those UFA's you can always take the NJ/CBJ route and trade a 3rd for one of them to come with an 8 year extension before free agency

ottawagm

May 6, 2023

No need to rush to get one at the cost of Pinto. We can try to sign one this summer.

Reactions: BonHoonLayneCornell

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I think Chychrun is criminally underrated and is actually having quite a good season. Personally if I was the Sens I would be exploring trading Chabot instead.

As for those UFA's you can always take the NJ/CBJ route and trade a 3rd for one of them to come with an 8 year extension before free agency
I agree to an extent. He is having a good season, and he is staying healthy. I don't think the player is the issue.

I'm on the keep Chabot train, personally speaking, but I don't like sending Chychrun away either way.

And good point, but I could still see them saying no because it's Ottawa. It's an uphill battle to bring people in there it seems. Not impossible.

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
Could see the Flames having interest in Chabot or Chychrun at the draft, but not for Anderrson for Weegar. More like draft picks depending on where they finish and they get in return for Hanifin, Markstrom, and Tanev.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad