Recalled/Assigned: Chuck Kobasew Recalled

NeedleInTheHay

Mar 26, 2008
:laugh:

Someone finally said it, there is NOTHING wrong with this, he's depth, If people seriously think he will be in the lineup, think about these 2 things first.

1. Why did Ray Shero put him on waivers? When a GM does that to a player like Kobasew, they generally don't care if they lose him on waivers.

2. Why did Ray Shero go out and acquire Lee Stempniak, and have Gibbons and Megna on the roster over Chuck Kobasew?

I'm not 100% on this, but I don't think Kobasew will play unless he needs to (example, numerous winger injuries)

Yep, I highly highly doubt he plays in the playoffs unless there are more injuries.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
People doubting him playing in the playoffs have been a fan of this team for how long exactly?

Let me (re)introduce you to Bylsma, Dan.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
I am not panicking over this move yet, but I reserve the right to panic based on the game 1 lineup. Kobesew, when healthy and used right, can be an ok player... now we have never seen that from him on this team, for obvious reasons... but still....

Human

cynic
Jan 22, 2011
Bandwagon
1F5N4W5.gif

perfect...

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
So we can expect Vitale and Megna to remain out of the lineup now. Too inexperienced for the playoffs anyway /DB

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Kobasew isn't eligible to play for the Baby Pens in the playoffs, so I don't know what anyone was expecting here.

Why wouldn't he be? He was on the WBS roster at the trade deadline, which was the requirement for him to be eligible for the AHL playoffs this season.

I think it's a dumb rule. If the player is still AHL eligible, why not be able to continue playing in the AHL playoffs? And even if he isn't AHL eligible, why not be able to waive a guy and have them play in the AHL playoffs? Having more talent in the AHL helps the development of prospects.

There's too much emphasis on winning in lower leagues, imo. It's about development first and foremost.

Which is precisely why that rule exists. Otherwise NHL teams that missed the playoffs could send down their NHL players to the AHL once the regular season ended, thus making a total mockery of the AHL playoffs. Instead of being a time to develop prospects in the AHL playoffs, it would be a bunch of NHL players running over AHL players on their way to a Calder Cup.

:shakehead
Glad others are noticing this. If the man went to take a dump, they would probably be analyzing which hand he used to wipe!

And that's only after they parsed his statement about taking a dump to wonder if it was a freudian slip about sending the team into the toilet.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Which is precisely why that rule exists. Otherwise NHL teams that missed the playoffs could send down their NHL players to the AHL once the regular season ended, thus making a total mockery of the AHL playoffs. Instead of being a time to develop prospects in the AHL playoffs, it would be a bunch of NHL players running over AHL players on their way to a Calder Cup.

Nonsense. You still need to place an NHL regular on waivers in order to send him down. So, no team would risk losing a player for that reason alone.

However, the likes of Jayson Megna and Brian Gibbons, they should be allowed to play in the AHL playoffs. It keeps guys playing in your system longer in case your big club is out early (and in case the players in question don't get picked for the World Championships).

If Tristan Jarry and Derrick Pouliot get knocked off in the WHL playoffs, don't we want to see them in the 'A' at season's end?

I assume their names were put on the Clear Day roster, but I am not sure. Still, you can't put every name down on the Clear Day roster, and that's dumb imo.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
Why wouldn't he be? He was on the WBS roster at the trade deadline, which was the requirement for him to be eligible for the AHL playoffs this season.

He was sent down on deadline day, but was he assigned before 3? That's apparently what matters.

I wish they just kept the clear day rosters, that seemed a lot simpler.

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Nonsense. You still need to place an NHL regular on waivers in order to send him down. So, no team would risk losing a player for that reason alone.

Except that by the waiver rules, if a team claims a player on waivers after the trade deadline, they can't use them on their NHL playoff roster. So teams out of the playoffs could easily waive any pending UFAs they have, knowing they wouldn't get claimed, and then send them down to the AHL.

However, the likes of Jayson Megna and Brian Gibbons, they should be allowed to play in the AHL playoffs. It keeps guys playing in your system longer in case your big club is out early (and in case the players in question don't get picked for the World Championships).

The Pens made a few paper transactions at the deadline to get all the non-injured AHL players on the AHL roster at the deadline. Megna and Gibbons were technically on the AHL roster for the deadline, but then got recalled afterwards.

If Tristan Jarry and Derrick Pouliot get knocked off in the WHL playoffs, don't we want to see them in the 'A' at season's end?

The rules allow for prospects from Juniors or NCAA to join during the AHL playoffs.

I assume their names were put on the Clear Day roster, but I am not sure. Still, you can't put every name down on the Clear Day roster, and that's dumb imo.

No such thing as Clear Day anymore. The new rules make it so that any NHL players have to be on the AHL roster at the trade deadline to play in the AHL playoffs, with the exception of prospects coming in from Juniors or NCAA (and even there, those guys are technically allowed in under "emergency" exemptions that teams take a very liberal definition of the word to make work).

He was sent down on deadline day, but was he assigned before 3? That's apparently what matters.

I wish they just kept the clear day rosters, that seemed a lot simpler.

Yes, he was. Incidentally, Kobasew just got sent back down to the AHL today, along with Zolnierczyk and Despres:
http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=714851&navid=DL|PIT|home

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
So I'm confused, if this was "expected" and all that, why was he sent back down?

:)

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
I could have sworn he was sent down after the deadline, but it was just a transaction that hit the wire less than an hour after the deadline...my bad.

I guess the call-up was...I dunno. That was weird. At least he's gone again.

BrunoPuntzJones

Biscuit Scorer
Apr 17, 2012
Washington, DC
I could have sworn he was sent down after the deadline, but it was just a transaction that hit the wire less than an hour after the deadline...my bad.

I guess the call-up was...I dunno. That was weird. At least he's gone again.
Maybe a reward for being good about getting sent down and an excuse to rest a regular.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad