Movies: Christopher Nolan's TENET (July 17, 2020)

sdf

Jan 23, 2015
Rostov on Don
Well, most of his films rely on a trick, mostly formal (Memento has one of its timelines going backwards, Dunkirk uses three timelines that converge), but sometimes narrative (the father being the daughter's ghost in Interstellar), but these tricks are only used to build dramatic and narrative effects and tension, and are mostly shallow when it comes to building meaning or affective depth. On the other hand, films like Je t'aime, je t'aime or Irréversible too play on temporal manipulation (and are both somewhat close to Memento) but in ways that go beyond dramatic effects (still very much part of both movies, but not as an end in itself). Both films are using their structures as part of wider propositions on time - Resnais's work is mostly about regrets and nostalgia, Noé about degenerescence and irrevocability - and notwithstanding their plots, these are two films that have enough elements to force their spectators into deeper considerations (or at least, two films that stay with you for some time).

That being said, I still like Nolan a lot.
If I were in his place, it would be very painful for my ego that someone thinks that my films are not deep enough to be considered masterpieces

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
I have no idea what HanSolo was refering to, and I guess it really depends who the "true greats" are for you. To me, Nolan is one of the most capable directors right now (I have a hard time trying to think of someone who would have been able to make better superhero films for example). Still, he doesn't get near my own "true greats" directors - Raul Ruiz, Alain Resnais, Nuri Bilge Ceylan, Tsai Ming-Liang, Marguerite Duras, etc. etc. - for one very simple reason: Nolan's films work formidably but solely (or very much predominantly) on gimmicks. And if Tenet is a palindrome, that's just one more example of the kind of stuff on which he relies for effects, with most of the time very little depth on affects (with maybe Interstellar - his best film IMO - as the only exception, but it is still somewhat limited).

Result is I've liked most of the films I've seen from Nolan, and I'm always eager to see his next projects, but not a single one of them I've rated above 7/10.

LOL.

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
If I were in his place, it would be very painful for my ego that someone thinks that my films are not deep enough to be considered masterpieces

Of course, had I thought for a second that I would insult or hurt someone with my comment, I wouldn't have posted it. But that's very considerate of you to remind us all to remain polite and delicate.

I guess you didn't appreciate the many films you've seen from these directors. That's why I said "my own", didn't want to impose them on you - can't please everyone.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Just what the entertainment business needs, more timey wimey wibbly wobbly.

Also, "revolutionary director"??? What the f***? :laugh:

Nolan has been one of the best directors of the millennium. To say his filming techniques haven’t at the very least bled into other movies is pretty wrong IMO.

Reactions: NinjaKick and Kurtz

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Like what? Not saying he isn't good but revolutionary... Pfft!

C'mon. He revolutionized movies that run backwards. Think of all of the movies that adopted that technique after Memento.

:sarcasm:

Bakayoko Ono

Aug 12, 2007
Helsinki
Being able to do "your own thing" without an established IP while getting backing for $200M+ budget is what makes Nolan "revolutionary".

Last edited:
Reactions: Kurtz

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Being able to do "your own thing" without an established IP while getting backing for $200M+ budget is what makes Nolan "revolutionary".
I wouldn't call him revolutionary, but he's one of the few directors since the 70s that gets free reign with a huge budget to do whatever he wants.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
Do we seriously have hipsters in here ragging on Nolan?

Well, if you weren't impressed with his techniques in movies like Memento and Inception, how about acknowledging him turning around the entire comic book genre?

Reactions: x Tame Impala

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005

That isn't what "revolutionary" means, though. It means sparking a revolution. Revolutionary filmmakers are ones who have changed how movies are made. I'm not sure that we can say that about Nolan. He is a great filmmaker and a proven hit maker, though, and is given carte blanche to make whatever movies he wants for that reason.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
have they moved the release date yet?

Can’t imagine Nolan, a guy who refused to have his movies in 3D and shoots basically everything for true-iMax theaters, would be ok with releasing it to streaming services. He wants this shown in theaters where it belongs.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Can’t imagine Nolan, a guy who refused to have his movies in 3D and shoots basically everything for true-iMax theaters, would be ok with releasing it to streaming services. He wants this shown in theaters where it belongs.

That is why I am surprised that date has not been moved. HE wants it released wide

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad