Traded Christian Wolanin (D)

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
First class asset management once again by Dorion and the Sens. There is no way he plays that amount of games.

It really depends how you view Wolanin. Is he a 26 year old defensemen who has yet to establish himself as a NHL player or is he your 2nd best defensemen?

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
First class asset management once again by Dorion and the Sens. There is no way he plays that amount of games.

What do you figure a guy scratched 10 games in a row on a rebuilding team fetches at the TDL?

What would you do to maximize the asset ?

If I'm Dorion I start looking around the league to see who's gotten some injuries on D and might need depth. I think the amount of playing time Reilly has got could lead to him being acquired for a mid-late round pick.

Then I'd play Wolanin. If he plays well we've got a player that we can either trade in a month (TDL) or work with next year. If he stinks it helps to secure a top 5 pick and we move on with a pretty good idea that Wolanin isn't someone who could help us going forward.

This is yet another lost season in terms of playoffs, let's use it to weed out our good prospects and maximize assets and be ready to kick ass and take numbers next year.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
It really depends how you view Wolanin. Is he a 26 year old defensemen who has yet to establish himself as a NHL player or is he your 2nd best defensemen?
True statements but Wolanin has even less pro experience then Brannstrom who is 21
2017-18
6.png
Univ. of North Dakota
NCAA401223355012|
3.png
Ottawa Senators
NHL101230-4|
2018-19
3.png
Ottawa Senators
NHL30481263|
3.png
Belleville Senators
AHL4072431247|
31.png
USA
WC60000-1|
2019-20
3.png
Ottawa Senators
NHL300001|
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Graduated got 10 games .. to burn a year I would think
Played most of the season in Belleville the following year , and 30 games in the NHL.. looked like a good - very good prospect
Was injured most of the following year

Brannstrom played most of 2017-18 in the SHL (44)
most of 2018-19 in the AHL (50)
split the season between the AHL (27) and the NHL (31) in 2019-20

So as I said be for his age is a bit misleading when it comes to his inability to solidify a spot

Reactions: NB613

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
So as I said be for his age is a bit misleading when it comes to his inability to solidify a spot

I agree. I would like to see more of him, I think he was more to give. More making a point about how ridiculous it was to call him the 2nd best D on the team.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
True statements but Wolanin has even less pro experience then Brannstrom who is 21
2017-18
6.png
Univ. of North Dakota
NCAA401223355012|
3.png
Ottawa Senators
NHL101230-4|
2018-19
3.png
Ottawa Senators
NHL30481263|
3.png
Belleville Senators
AHL4072431247|
31.png
USA
WC60000-1|
2019-20
3.png
Ottawa Senators
NHL300001|
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Graduated got 10 games .. to burn a year I would think
Played most of the season in Belleville the following year , and 30 games in the NHL.. looked like a good - very good prospect
Was injured most of the following year

Brannstrom played most of 2017-18 in the SHL (44)
most of 2018-19 in the AHL (50)
split the season between the AHL (27) and the NHL (31) in 2019-20

Man he looked so confident in those first 10 games...stepped in and skated hard, moved the puck and really jumped in deep in the offensive zone when needed. Seemed he was going to be dynamic for us.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
I don't think his pending group VI status changes much in the eyes of the Senators. I doubt they'd qualify him if he were a standard RFA. Probably kills his already low trade value though.

Probably no point in playing him at all now.

IlTerrifico

Oct 24, 2016
Wolanin needs to reset his spectrum at the NHL level. He will never be a 40 point scorer, so he needs to be at least an average, and likely an above average defender.

That means getting your nose dirty, blocking some shots, and battling in the slot at all times. Getting physically manhandled has to be acceptable to make the play or keep a scorer occupied so he isn't deflecting shots or tapping in rebounds. Artem Zub is the perfect role model; protects pucks, makes smart little plays, and plays everybody hard. It can be the difference between a 100 and a 1000 game career.

Brendan Bell was Wolanin-like, never scored enough to get a pass defensively, and never understood the need to be a digger to sustain a career, despite being a 1st rounder. Wolanin has good attributes, but needs to adjust the mindset.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Looking at advanced stats, Wolanin hasn't been worse than basically anybody not named Zub and Chabot (because only true top-4)

What are they scared of playng Wolanin? Is it like it took 4 games to get White in and 9 games to get Zub in?

Yeah, this season is kinda "strange" to say the least. Decisions have been... I don't even know how to qualify it. It's almost like they don't even know their players. Thinking Gudbranson, Reilly and Zaitsev are going to shutdown the McDavids....

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Looking at advanced stats, Wolanin hasn't been worse than basically anybody not named Zub and Chabot (because only true top-4)

What are they scared of playng Wolanin? Is it like it took 4 games to get White in and 9 games to get Zub in?

Yeah, this season is kinda "strange" to say the least. Decisions have been... I don't even know how to qualify it. It's almost like they don't even know their players. Thinking Gudbranson, Reilly and Zaitsev are going to shutdown the McDavids....
The worse has already happened. We’ve gotten embarrassed countless times. Now the worse that can happen is the coach looks potentially looks bad *again*. And I don’t think he will allow that to happen. He conceded defeat after that first 15 games. And bit the bullet. Doubt he does it again.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
The worse has already happened. We’ve gotten embarrassed countless times. Now the worse that can happen is the coach looks potentially looks bad *again*. And I don’t think he will allow that to happen. He conceded defeat after that first 15 games. And bit the bullet. Doubt he does it again.

Not being the "Proudest Day" also has its disadvantages. Wolanin should have platooned in at least 2-3 times over the past 10 games.. They are treating him like he should be a finished product and is just not good enough.

Reactions: Fuhrious

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Not being the "Proudest Day" also has its disadvantages. Wolanin should have platooned in at least 2-3 times over the past 10 games.. They are treating him like he should be a finished product and is just not good enough.
They think all finished products are better than all unfinished products. At least on the blue line.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Erik Gudbranson are you signing him next year? or is Wolanin worth it to be our 6 or 7th d-man for next year?

I hope they try & move all of their UFAs, but who knows what will happen this yr leading up to the trade deadline, they have already said how hard it will be to make trades with quarantine's this yr & different rules everywhere. Some of these UFAs could most likely be impossible to move too.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Thought he played great.

Easily his best outing and should ensure he gets in next game.

Reactions: Icelevel

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Should have been platooning Brannstrom , Wolanin, Reilly all along. Everybody gets 4/6 games or so.. they could have them in see the results and bring them all along. They all would have bought into that. Singling Wolanin out to sit for 10 games makes no sense to me. Every single D man that has played for this team this year has made gaffs leading directly to goals against. Chabot is a star and is the only one that gets a pass. Zub has been the most reliable of the rest .. Everyone else can sit a game or two to help spread the games out and focus on development of the "less experienced" Dmen... Wolanin was not given the opportunity or the leash to work through the longest of layoffs and the kinks.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Should have been platooning Brannstrom , Wolanin, Reilly all along. Everybody gets 4/6 games or so.. they could have them in see the results and bring them all along. They all would have bought into that. Singling Wolanin out to sit for 10 games makes no sense to me. Every single D man that has played for this team this year has made gaffs leading directly to goals against. Chabot is a star and is the only one that gets a pass. Zub has been the most reliable of the rest .. Everyone else can sit a game or two to help spread the games out and focus on development of the "less experienced" Dmen... Wolanin was not given the opportunity or the leash to work through the longest of layoffs and the kinks.
Yeah of all years to not give everyone a fair shot.
Not smart.

Reactions: Fuhrious

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad