Traded Christian Wolanin (D)

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Age isn't the only factor. We typically see players hit their peak starting around 24-28, but it comes with the in-game experience that they gain in their years leading up to it. Removing 2 years of prime development time due to injury will delay his peak from both, a playing and physical development perspective.
He got injured at a terrible time, for sure. but this season is his make or break season. He’s not making it, that’s for sure.
Ottawa sucks, they’re one of the worst teams in the league, if not the worst. and when Wolanin plays, he’s not very good. simple as that; he can’t even play every night, as an almost 26 y/o on the worst team in the NHL. He had the potential of being a good steady everyday player but let’s be honest, at this point he’s going to be a #7 D at most.

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
and when Wolanin plays, he’s not very good. simple as that; he can’t even play every night, as an almost 26 y/o on the worst team in the NHL. He had the potential of being a good steady everyday player but let’s be honest, at this point he’s going to be a #7 D at most.

He was decent in 2019. Much better than a #7. That he's not playing every night is more about the coach than the player. Hard to believe that he's worse than Reilly and Coburn.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
That injury has set him back so much, hopefully he can refind his game soon

“Refind” his game implies he had some type of established game. He has some nice skills but he is far from establishing himself as a NHL effective Dman.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
“Refind” his game implies he had some type of established game. He has some nice skills but he is far from establishing himself as a NHL effective Dman.
You know what I mean......He so far behind from where he was

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
He’s effectively lost his job to Brannstrom.

He's not been good by any stretch this season. I remember when people were claiming that he was our 2nd best defensemen before he even played a game this season and had only played a handful of games in the previous year. It just goes to show that sometimes fans (we) get carried away in playing young guys even when they're not there yet. He better figure it out really soon because with Sanderson knocking on the door he might not have his place on this roster beyond this year, again especially if he doesn't figure it out quick.

He's been really bad defensively and for a guy that we counted on to move the puck he doesn't move the puck very much. Brannstrom has done a much better job at just controlling the play and moving the puck, while he certainly still has a lot of work to do he's been superior to Wolanin in about every way possible.

I don't think Wolanin was ever in the long term plans of the team with Brannstrom, Chabot and Sanderson but it's been dissapointing to see him go this year to say the least. He had an opportunity to be a regular player on the team and he hasn't seized it, maybe even lost his spot with his play.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Too bad. Hopefully something miraculous happens for him and/or he gets a chance somewhere else.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
He's not been good by any stretch this season. I remember when people were claiming that he was our 2nd best defensemen before he even played a game this season and had only played a handful of games in the previous year. It just goes to show that sometimes fans (we) get carried away in playing young guys even when they're not there yet. He better figure it out really soon because with Sanderson knocking on the door he might not have his place on this roster beyond this year, again especially if he doesn't figure it out quick.

He's been really bad defensively and for a guy that we counted on to move the puck he doesn't move the puck very much. Brannstrom has done a much better job at just controlling the play and moving the puck, while he certainly still has a lot of work to do he's been superior to Wolanin in about every way possible.

I don't think Wolanin was ever in the long term plans of the team with Brannstrom, Chabot and Sanderson but it's been dissapointing to see him go this year to say the least. He had an opportunity to be a regular player on the team and he hasn't seized it, maybe even lost his spot with his play.

Yes, Wolanin was probably not in long term plans on LD as the team has Chabot, Sanderson and Brannstrom, 3 high picks with very high pedigree

I totally disagree that "he's been really bad defensively" though. I think it has been magnified by a few plays where he didn't react properly or put himself in a bad position but mostly because the puck actually ended up in the back of the net. I've seen that movie so many times before. Mike Reilly does WORSE several times a game but he still plays over CW. I haven't seen Wolanin get walked easily like Brannstrom by Toffoli yesterday or Gudbranson by Perry on sunday

Of course he's no Chabot (who has made magnifying mistakes too). Zaitsev has rebounded nicely this year (still a borderline top-4 though), Zub has been better that many expected (had him in my lineups before the season) but they are both RD anyway. Brannstrom thankfully has progressed as he is the only piece we have left from losing our best player. Brannstrom has high pedigree but Wolanin hasn't been worse than anybody else. Yes, he made mistakes (like everybody else) but I have watched him closely and seen him make a lot of nice subtle plays to break out attacks or get the puck out of danger. They haven't been caved in when he is on the ice or have given up ton of high danger chances in comparison to others. Advanced stats support this

In total, 9 D-men dressed for the Sens so far this season. This is at even strength :

CF/60 : 6th
CA/60 : 4th (Behind Zub, Brannstrom and Reilly)
CF% : 5th

SF/60 : 6th
SA/60 : 2nd (Behind Zub)
SF% : 5th

SCF/60 : 7th
SCA/60 : 2nd (Behind Zub)
SCF% : 4th

HDCF/60 : 7th
HDCA/60 : 4th (Behind Zub, Brannstrom and Coburn)
HDCF% : 5th

Zub is basically first in all defensive categories, so also on xGA/60 where Wolanin is 2nd. And it's not because he has been "sheltered", with 51.6% dZS% at ES (Zub 52.4%). In comparison, Brannstrom has 76.3% oZS%

Wolanin played 2:01 on the PK and the other team doesn't even have a shot attempt while he is on the ice. Small sample size for sure

On the PP :

CF/60 : 6th
SF/60 : 6th
SCF/60 : 5th
HDCF/60 : 4th

If anything, it's offensively that I want to see him do more. But like most unexperienced players, he's probably really nervous about not making mistakes and come out of the lineup, which actually happened a few times. He hasn't had the Reilly royal treatment for example.

Sens should sign him to expose him to Seattle, it could be a good place for him

Last edited:

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
The problem with Wolanin is his defensive gaffes come at the worst times and happen at the worst places on the ice. He has been a nightmare.

Reactions: coladin

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Ignore the critics for 10 games .. give him a strong (relatively) partner and keep throwing him out.

Smith talks about being patient with the young guys and living through their mistakes.. yet Wolanin sits for 3 games and Brannstrom gets benched for the rest of the 3rd (11 minutes) when Toffoli beat him. Walk the fn Walk to back up the Talk

Butchy Dakkar

Dark Butch Yak didn't seem right.
Oct 3, 2020
Wolanin is not back to where he was before the fracture. If he gets there, it's a huge win for us, either to have him or trade him. I think he needs more games, but I'm skeptical he will be given the rope given where we are in the season, as a team (finally getting competetive), and other players establishing themselves.

Maybe he never gets back to his old form, it would be nice to find out. Injuries suck.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Wolanin is not back to where he was before the fracture. If he gets there, it's a huge win for us, either to have him or trade him. I think he needs more games, but I'm skeptical he will be given the rope given where we are in the season, as a team (finally getting competetive), and other players establishing themselves.

Maybe he never gets back to his old form, it would be nice to find out. Injuries suck.
I know ... I'm saying give him the rope.. If he can't cut it .. he can be a scratch/trade/waive whatever.

Reactions: Icelevel

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Ignore the critics for 10 games .. give him a strong (relatively) partner and keep throwing him out.

Smith talks about being patient with the young guys and living through their mistakes.. yet Wolanin sits for 3 games and Brannstrom gets benched for the rest of the 3rd (11 minutes) when Toffoli beat him. Walk the fn Walk to back up the Talk

There's only 1 strong RD and it's Zub

The problem is everyone needs him : Chabot, Brannstrom, Reilly and Wolanin

lol

Zaitsev on the 2nd pairing is "ok" but would be a strenght on the 3rd pairing.

Reactions: aragorn

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
There's only 1 strong RD and it's Zub

The problem is everyone needs him : Chabot, Brannstrom, Reilly and Wolanin

lol

Zaitsev on the 2nd pairing is "ok" but would be a strenght on the 3rd pairing.

I said relatively.. I don't think any of them are in the top 100 D in the NHL

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Ideally he’s in instead of Reilly.
I agree. Let him play and see what happens. Hard to take out Reilly though when he’s played better than Wolanin.

Trade Reilly, make the spot for him.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina

I'm baffled by the deployment of Wolanin in contrast to Reilly. The only thing I can think of is that management don't care much for Reilly's development and know he is a filler, therefore they are trying to get Wolanin more practice shifts and more reps so that the next time he's in he's more settled after not having played for as long as he has.

Conversely, he's already 25 though, throw him out there. If Reilly is going to be traded soon and Wolanin finishes off last 20-25 consecutive games of season then that's fine, whatever.

But I just don't understand how Reilly looked like an ECHL defender for first 10 games and yet HE was rewarded with playing with our most stable defensive RD. Wtf?

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020
I'd like to see him get more opportunities, but I'm starting to fall off the Wolly wagon. Just not been good enough when he plays. I know he's had injury issues, but he needs to prove he should stay in the lineup.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I know ... I'm saying give him the rope.. If he can't cut it .. he can be a scratch/trade/waive whatever.

Everyone's length of rope is different when it comes to Wolanin. Personally, I don't think he has earned anymore rope than what he has been given. I desperately wanted Wolanin to work out, but I just don't see an NHL defenceman. He will stick around this year because they need him for injuries, or maybe to go in when Brannstrom can't make a Bantam play on a player

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
He's been better than Reilly but DJ seems to think Reilly is far better than he actually is.

Could still turn into a nice 5/6 D, but it probably won't be here.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Reilly has been the better player this season. Don’t understand how people can watch the games and say Wolanin has been better.

People are fooled by the Jekyll and Mr Hyde dilemna with Mike Reilly. He looks good in some games, even top-4 level but there's also games where he doesn't look NHL level. He's always been widely inconsistent, maybe DJ doesn't know about Reilly's history and still thinks he will eventually figure it out. I mean, it's possible but personally I wouldn't put any money on it.

Wolanin has looked pretty dominant in his last collegial season at UND (more than any of JBD/Sanderson/Kleven at the moment) and was also elite in his AHL rookie season. and looked good in his first half NHL season as well. He was older but I was seriously impressed by him in the 2018 rookie camp, he had a Karlsson effect in that level of competition, was rushing and moving the puck like crazy and creating scoring chances at an alarming rate. There was plenty of high profile prospects like Batherson, Logan Brown, Tkachuk, Kotkaniemi and Wolanin was easily the best player on the ice.

It doesn't mean that he would be able to dominate like that at the NHL level but there's something there. Sure, his injury came at the worst possible time (a bit like Balcers too) and it's possible that he isn't able to find his groove back having played so little the last 2 years, but at least there's something to gain here. With Reilly, I don't see what there is to gain

thesensguy

Apr 5, 2014
Ottawa,Ontario
Reilly has been the better player this season. Don’t understand how people can watch the games and say Wolanin has been better.
Because of his 2018-2019 season, in which he looked like a legit top 4 dman. Missing most of last year has hurt him in so many ways and with Brannstrom up and playing well, Reilly or not, he’s not gonna be playing PK and defensive assignments on even strength which is expected from a bottom pairing D. I agree with you, Reilly has had really bad games, but has also played at least 10 games in which he’s looked better than Wolanin has at any point this season.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
In comparisons between Wolanin and Reilly the latter is hugely disadvantaged by the fact that he wasn't drafted by the Ottawa Senators.

Imagine a world where the Sens draft a defenseman in the 4th round. From there he goes to the BCHL where he puts up 83 points in 51 games, is named best defenseman in the league and leads his team to BCHL, RBC and Doyle Cup Championships. Then he goes to college where he has a solid freshman year with Minnesota and also holds down a spot on the US WJC team that wins a gold medal. Then he wins back-to-back defensive player of the year and first team all-star awards in his collegiate conference. Not only that but he's a Hobey Baker finalist as a junior. Oh, and the cherry on top? He's named to US Men's World Championship team as a 22 year old where he wins a bronze medal. All this before the guy has played a single pro hockey game.

Try to imagine the hype this player would have on here. The lengths people would go to in order to justify and explain away his failures.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad