Traded Christian Wolanin (D)

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

How's he gettin ready?

12-18-24.jpg

Wolainin has looked bad in the games he’s played. He has not looked better than anyone in the line up so he isn’t playing right now; simple.

As was mentioned, he’ll get more chances as we start to see some injuries, and he’ll have to be ready. It doesn’t much matter what he did two years ago, didn’t matter for White either. What matters is what he’s able to do with the ice time he gets this year.

So far he’s been pretty bad, he has to be better to stick. I’m hoping he steps up.

I watch every game on PVR, so I rewind a lot of times during games (I jump every ad, and in between periods except for some valuable analysis from credible people), I still finish games later than everyone. Wolanin hasn't looked any worse than Reilly, Gudbranson, Josh Brown, Braydon Coburn and even Erik Brannstrom (defensively). His defensive advanced stats also suggest the same thing. Fans who watch games "casually" only remember magnifying moments like a goal against. Wolanin actually made a lot of nice defensive plays, relatively to the little TOI he got of course.

The only D-men who deserve to be called better so far are Chabot (because it's Chabot the only legit top-4 D-man we have, who also had terrible moments defensively), Zub (by far the steadiest/reliable Sens D-man this year) and Zaitsev who has rebounded this season (but was beer league level yesterday). But in general, the only guy that hasn't been an "adventure" in his own zone this season is Artem Zub, and in most games, to a lesser extent, Nikita Zaitsev. Our defense as a whole is terrible of the terrible. Highest GA/GP since 1996 (some will foolishly try to put all this on "terrible" goaltending but for any advised hockey observator, it's easy to see that our team defense is really really bad)

I think in the end, Wolanin is simply "soft" by DJ's standards. Guys like Wolanin, Ryan, Balcers, Logan Brown, Galchenyuk (not really sure why we signed him to be honest) etc are not going to be popular under DJ Smith. The way that Batherson was playing also made DJ thinking about scratching him. Some even reported that DJ is also not a big Brannstrom fan. I suspect his leash will be very short soon as he has struggled heavily defensively the last few games. I could see him get scracthed soon to give Wolanin another short leash chance.

Last edited:

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Get him playing for the BSens
Bingo (er...Belleville, you know what I mean).

And if he (or Brann) takes Reilly minutes I'm OK with that too. Reilly shouldn't be eating up so many minutes anyway.

Ultimately my point is Wolanin has missed a ton of time and it should be expected he needs to play to get better.

I just want to know if the time off really cooked his career or if he can regain form.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Get him playing for the BSens

There's a risk he gets claimed on waivers and there's no need to take that risk.

Lots of guys saying he needs to be developed. I just don't see it. He's 26 shortly. We've got Sanderson coming and he and Chabot are your LD pillars. What are we developing him for? 3rd pair LD?

Wolanin's going to end up never really getting a shot. Slipping on that puck may well have cost him a career. It's unfortunate but he won't be the first guy that got screwed by bad timing on an injury

Reactions: NB613

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
12-18-24.jpg

I watch every game on PVR, so I rewind a lot of times during games (I jump every ad, and in between periods except for some valuable analysis from credible people), I still finish games later than everyone. Wolanin hasn't looked any worse than Reilly, Gudbranson, Josh Brown, Braydon Coburn and even Erik Brannstrom (defensively). His defensive advanced stats also suggest the same thing. Fans who watch games "casually" only remember magnifying moments like a goal against. Wolanin actually made a lot of nice defensive plays, relatively to the little TOI he got of course.

The only D-men who deserve to be called better so far are Chabot (because it's Chabot the only legit top-4 D-man we have, who also had terrible moments defensively), Zub (by far the steadiest/reliable Sens D-man this year) and Zaitsev who has rebounded this season (but was beer league level yesterday). But in general, the only guy that hasn't been an "adventure" in his own zone this season is Artem Zub, and in most games, to a lesser extent, Nikita Zaitsev. Our defense as a whole is terrible of the terrible. Highest GA/GP since 1974 (some will foolishly try to put all this on "terrible" goaltending but any advised hockey fan, it's easy to see that our defensive is really really bad.

Wolanin is simply "soft" by DJ's standards. Guys like Wolanin, Ryan, Balcers, Logan Brown, Galchenyuk (not really sure why we signed him to be honest) etc are not going to be popular under DJ Smith. The way that Batherson was playing also made DJ thinking about scratching him. Some even reported that DJ is also not a big Brannstrom fan. I suspect his leash will be very short soon as he has struggled heavily defensively the last few games. I think Brannstrom will get scracthed soon to give Wolanin another short leash chance.

He's as "soft" as Reilly. Reilly just got a longer leash as he's a veteran. Pretty standard stuff from DJ, and most coaches though.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
If we're not going to put him on waivers to get some icetime with the BSens, then just trade him (if possible). Kid isn't going to get any better sitting around. If he has any hope of salvaging his career, he needs to play.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
He's as "soft" as Reilly. Reilly just got a longer leash as he's a veteran. Pretty standard stuff from DJ, and most coaches though.

I have no idea how DJ sees Reilly. It's like they are still holding out hope that he turns into the next Jeff Petry... Montreal actually went through the Reilly experiment long enough. Never understood why we gave up a pick for him, then playing him as much. Oh well

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
12-18-24.jpg

The only D-men who deserve to be called better so far are Chabot (because it's Chabot the only legit top-4 D-man we have, who also had terrible moments defensively), Zub (by far the steadiest/reliable Sens D-man this year) and Zaitsev who has rebounded this season (but was beer league level yesterday). But in general, the only guy that hasn't been an "adventure" in his own zone this season is Artem Zub, and in most games, to a lesser extent, Nikita Zaitsev. Our defense as a whole is terrible of the terrible. Highest GA/GP since 1996 (some will foolishly try to put all this on "terrible" goaltending but for any advised hockey observator, it's easy to see that our team defense is really really bad)

I think in the end, Wolanin is simply "soft" by DJ's standards. Guys like Wolanin, Ryan, Balcers, Logan Brown, Galchenyuk (not really sure why we signed him to be honest) etc are not going to be popular under DJ Smith. The way that Batherson was playing also made DJ thinking about scratching him. Some even reported that DJ is also not a big Brannstrom fan. I suspect his leash will be very short soon as he has struggled heavily defensively the last few games. I could see him get scracthed soon to give Wolanin another short leash chance.

So you watch games on a PVR. And someone that doesn't rewind and watch over is a casual fan? I got news for you....everyone can rewind and watch a play again .... you can do that rather easily with today's cable

When we get hemmed it's typically because of soft plays from our forwards not getting pucks out ... and it's vets and kids both that are doing that. 2 goals yesterday on bang bang turnovers from Tierney and Norris

There are some games where we are simply not strong enough on pucks in our end and it's costing us goals. And more often than not it's the forwards that are the problem.

They've figured this out in the O zone. We're hard on pucks there and we're getting a lot of sustained zone time but many games the intensity is only there in the O zone.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
So you watch games on a PVR. And someone that doesn't rewind and watch over is a casual fan? I got news for you....everyone can rewind and watch a play again .... you can do that rather easily with today's cable

When we get hemmed it's typically because of soft plays from our forwards not getting pucks out ... and it's vets and kids both that are doing that. 2 goals yesterday on bang bang turnovers from Tierney and Norris

There are some games where we are simply not strong enough on pucks in our end and it's costing us goals. And more often than not it's the forwards that are the problem.

They've figured this out in the O zone. We're hard on pucks there and we're getting a lot of sustained zone time but many games the intensity is only there in the O zone.

That's why I have said "TEAM DEFENSE"

The whole team was putrid defensively yesterday. The only thing they did well was the PP because they scored 3 goals but 5 on 5 we got anihilated. Yes it was Norris worst game defensively. I hope he is learning from it.

I was actually impressed at how many times we made some soft turnovers in dangerous areas. We had some very bad games defensively this year, thought it was the WORST. We were falling all over the place, whiffing on pucks, blewing defensive coverage, it was PAINFUL to watch. They all looked like they ate a gigantic brunch just before the game.

PS : I didn't mean to say that everyone watch games casually obviously, but more to say that this year I am watching games very carefully as compared to the last 2-3 seasons where I was more apathetic regarding the Sens. Don't you think there's many fans who watch games more "casually"? I guess I'd be alone then because I did that a lot of times in the past. I didn't always made the effort or took the time to analyze every significant play. And if they play all game like they did last game vs Calgary, I would get bored very fast!

Last edited:

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
If they get rid of the three UFA defencemen (Gudbranson, Reilly, Coburn) at the deadline or end of the yr if nobody wants them who will they replace them with? That would leave Chabot, Zaitsev, Wolanin, Zub, Brannstrom, J. Brown & Thomson in Belleville & JBD coming from UND. Will these guys be any better or worse than what we have now? Will PD make a trade to bring in another one or two washed up defencemen to try & improve this defence? It's hard to know what they are going to do to improve this defence without it costing him some valuable assets.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Delete duplicate post. But while I'm here, if you could only keep one player between Dadonov & C. Brown who would it be?

I would keep C. Brown because he is much more effective & much more noticeable than Dadonov has been all yr. Not to mention that although Dadonov was brought in to produce offence & pts C. Brown actually has more pts than him & has been much more involved in the play in most games.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
i'd pick Connot Brown over Dadanov. Does all the little things right and leads by example. Dadanov might be able to score more by the end of the year, but the hustle isn't there

Reactions: robsenz

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
If they get rid of the three UFA defencemen (Gudbranson, Reilly, Coburn) at the deadline or end of the yr if nobody wants them who will they replace them with? That would leave Chabot, Zaitsev, Wolanin, Zub, Brannstrom, J. Brown & Thomson in Belleville & JBD coming from UND. Will these guys be any better or worse than what we have now? Will PD make a trade to bring in another one or two washed up defencemen to try & improve this defence? It's hard to know what they are going to do to improve this defence without it costing him some valuable assets.
After the deadline, this is what I'd like to see:

Chabot - Zaitsev
Brannstrom - Zub
Wolanin - JBD
J. Brown

And no, I don't think these guys will be any worse than what we currently have.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I'm not sure what the rules are wrt the expansion draft but we might see some lineup insertions to meet eligibility requirements. Brown as an example. But I believe Wolanin is an RFA next year so he doesn't count unless they sign him.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I'm not sure what the rules are wrt the expansion draft but we might see some lineup insertions to meet eligibility requirements. Brown as an example. But I believe Wolanin is an RFA next year so he doesn't count unless they sign him.

I doubt it, we would need to play Peca and Haley 23 games or Shaw 16 games, with Peca and Haley also requiring extensions.

More likely would be extending Dzingel or Anismov who already meet the games played requirements, or opting to expose one of C.Brown, Tierney, or Paul (along with Watson and J.Brown who i think are given)

Edit;fyi J.Brown already meets the reqirements because they prorated the games played on account of the shortened season, otherwise he'd have needed a couple more i think

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I doubt it, we would need to play Peca and Haley 23 games or Shaw 16 games, with Peca and Haley also requiring extensions.

More likely would be extending Dzingel or Anismov who already meet the games played requirements, or opting to expose one of C.Brown, Tierney, or Paul (along with Watson and J.Brown who i think are given)

Edit;fyi J.Brown already meets the reqirements because they prorated the games played on account of the shortened season, otherwise he'd have needed a couple more i think
I can’t imagine they won’t expose Tierney.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I can’t imagine they won’t expose Tierney.

What could Tierney realistically return in a trade .. More , Less or the same as we gave up for Stepan?

Alternative would be to sign someone to a league minimum 1 year deal and trade Tierney . But there is an additional cost to that.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Jeez...I know the guy hasnt lit up the world or anything, but how can you call it "giving him a fair shake" when he's been healthy scratched 7 straight games.

I talked about it in the off-season but the chances of Wolanin and Brannstrom being in the lineup together are very low and it isn’t a long term solution. Those two are competing for the same role and management is going to give the edge to Brannstrom. It’s played out pretty much how you’d expect.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I talked about it in the off-season but the chances of Wolanin and Brannstrom being in the lineup together are very low and it isn’t a long term solution. Those two are competing for the same role and management is going to give the edge to Brannstrom. It’s played out pretty much how you’d expect.

I said the same thing myself and yes i agree it's played out how you'd expect

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Dj seems to have little desire to play Brannstron on the right, so long ter i agree. This year, i expected Wolanin and Brannstrom to compete with Reilly, and Coburn to take the last spot, it hasn't worked out that way, two of Reilly, Brannstrom or Wolanin playing at the same time pretty much since Brannstrom came up was honestly a bit surprising, an had Wolanin had a stronger start to the year, he very well may have been in Reilly's spot right now.

Reactions: GCK

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

I think Ottawa is at the half way mark of their season, with 28 games left I see that highly unlikely that Wolanin gets those 19 games in which makes me wonder if they even care now at this point whether they keep him or let him walk at the end of the season. They would be losing yet another asset for nothing, so why not try & trade him then?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad