Prospect Info: Christian Thomas (Sent Down 12-13)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
I always try to see the positives but hanging on to Thomas just does not make any sense to me :help:. He's clearly been surpassed by other players in the depth chart and he's not even a big AHL point contributor at this point. What is he bringing to the table ?

Bloodlines.

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
I still like him he looked good last year during his call up - was a great ohl player who never stopped working - he's a decent depth guy

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
I always try to see the positives but hanging on to Thomas just does not make any sense to me :help:. He's clearly been surpassed by other players in the depth chart and he's not even a big AHL point contributor at this point. What is he bringing to the table ?

In past few years, our AHL team was both thin and poorly talented. He address depth in the AHL, particularly if Hudon (and maybe others) makes it at some point during the year.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc

Thomas plays well defensively, clearly hustles on the forecheck continuously and creates havoc for the opposition. This along with gaining more experience at the NHL level, will at some point he will gain the confidence in his offensive game. His shot being NHL level will get him points as a 3rd or 4th liner, while checking his opponent into futility. At the AHL level Thomas(RW) will be playing in the top six, being sound defensively, possibly a linemate for rookie center McCarron on the 1st line with Daniel Carr(LW), that's if Hudon/Andrighetto make the Habs as a 13th forward, IMHO.:nod: It appears that Gabriel Dumont(C) with Holloway(LW) and Scherbak(RW) formed a very productive 2nd line for St.John IceCaps in winning the Coleman's Cup (3 game tournament with the Marlies), a first for St.John's in their 5yr. history.

c3z4r

Jul 4, 2011
in the world
Thomas has been really surprising this season in the AHL. He's finally showing the "shot" that shredded the OHL apart. He might be the sniper that we've been missing since Cammy left.

I might be jumping the gun here, but I would like to see him tried in Semin's spot at some point during the season.

Last edited:

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Blazing speed, competes hard and has a great shot. Why only 1 goal in 21 games in the NHL?

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
He's playing his best hockey and so far he's certainly in line for the next call up. I would go with Holloway first but it will be interesting to see who they would go to once injuries happen.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
yeah he'll definitely get a look. His wheels and wrist shot are elite.

It's really bizarre that it took him this long to get it going. I thought he looked good on a 4th line last year with the Habs. Played with heart. That's what made it all the more confusing. How could a guy with that shot and that skating who played with so much heart couldn't put any kind of meaningful points up? I believe montreal or someone else said that that level of effort wasn't there with the Dogs which makes sense.

HOpefully he sustains this and can earn a call up and we can give him a proper shot on a scoring line.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Good to see him off to a nice start, but I don't see him in Habs long term plans. He's probably a call-up though, especially if we need a rw. If he keeps it up, he becomes a stronger trade asset for us. There have been other guys to break through in their 4th year pro while also passing through waivers. You never know he could be another one.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
Christian Thomas(RW) now has 14pts tied with Charles Hudon for 10th overall in the AHL. His linemates Mike McCarron(C / 17pts / 3rd OV) and Daniel Carr(LW / 12pts / 2pts out of 10th OV), that line is keeping pace with the Holloway line as top offensive producers, they are two really good reasons for the vast improvements in our AHL entry.:handclap::handclap::handclap: The Habs are developing some very good offensive players in their system, the "Black Aces" call ups from the IceCaps for the playoffs next spring will help in scoring potential, if they can keep that pace while being defensively sound. While being a young team, they have exhibited their ability to play two/way hockey for most of the season, the 9 -8 OT game against the Marlies was an aberration, a letdown in the 3rd period against the division leading Marlies. They still earned a split of the pts. in the two games this weekend, they should be praised for their efforts this season IMHO.

Last edited:

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
It's great to see that he's finally showing some consistent play, he started to tail off a bit but has since picked it up and most importantly he's using that great shot of his more while working harder to get into prime scoring areas. Going to be interesting to see what the Habs do with him, if they call him up to try and showcase him.

Top Corner2

Feb 15, 2003
Visit site
It's great to see that he's finally showing some consistent play, he started to tail off a bit but has since picked it up and most importantly he's using that great shot of his more while working harder to get into prime scoring areas. Going to be interesting to see what the Habs do with him, if they call him up to try and showcase him.

Yeah he definitely is looking way more confident. He is using his speed and pushing the play every shift. Nice to see.

eastcoast72

Sep 19, 2011
I've said it once, and I'll say it again...
Until I've seen Thomas take some regular shifts alongside a bona-fide NHL
centerman, the scouting report on this kid is incomplete.

He is a Hab asset that has not yet been fully evaluated from the NHL perspective.
Judging his potential while he played 8 mins/game on Malhotra's wing, ain't exactly
a fair assessment.

I say he gets one more call-up at some point this season, and once and for all, we can see what we have here. At least, playing him alongside any of our current centermen is a huge upgrade over Malhotra.

I'd hate to see him moved out without attempting the above.

Last edited:

19VJ17

Mar 9, 2011
Sounds like he's been recalled, waiting for the official word

Has Semin been put on the IR or is he just day to day?

Wow the Caps could be in for bad weekend. No Holloway, Ghetto, DLR, Scherbak and maybe Thomas.....ouch!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad