Signing(s): Christian McCaffrey signs extension (4 years, $64 million)

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I get why it is done for fan relations reasons, especially after losing two of the team's most popular players (Newton and Kuechly). But, I honestly don't get paying a premium for an RB when you are likely about to enter a rebuild. They either have a bunch of faith in Bridgewater, and somehow rebuilding their D in one off-season, or its misguided and fan appeasement while they hope to bottom out for Fields or Lawrence.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
CMC is a top 5 back and deserves this contract but Hurney is a complete moron who has no coherent plan and I'm starting to think Rhule is the same although he gets the benefit of doubt for now.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
hopefully it works better than recent RB extensions, he has been a monster the last few years, though he has had a lot of touches the past 2 seasons
He's a duo threat like Lev Bell. Can line him out wide or in the slot and run a route like a Receiver.

Good for him on getting his money. Was wondering if there would be a holdout or something given the contracts that haven't worked out for RB like Johnson, Gurley, Freeman. Bit early on Bell, and unknown on Zeke. Henry got tagged. Leaves a group of Carson, Cook, Kamara as the next group of excellent RB who will be due up for contracts. Probably tell a lot by this draft if any of them take a similar type of RB as a future replacement.

Reactions: Babe Ruth

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
He's a duo threat like Lev Bell. Can line him out wide or in the slot and run a route like a Receiver.

Good for him on getting his money. Was wondering if there would be a holdout or something given the contracts that haven't worked out for RB like Johnson, Gurley, Freeman. Bit early on Bell, and unknown on Zeke. Henry got tagged. Leaves a group of Carson, Cook, Kamara as the next group of excellent RB who will be due up for contracts. Probably tell a lot by this draft if any of them take a similar type of RB as a future replacement.
I would think Nick Chubb and Possibly Barkley will try to get their new deals next off-season. Should also be kept in mind David Johnson was a duel threat when he got his deal.

Reactions: Voight

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I would think Nick Chubb and Possibly Barkley will try to get their new deals next off-season. Should also be kept in mind David Johnson was a duel threat when he got his deal.
I think it safe to say Sony Michel won’t be getting one from NE. They have the 5th year option plus a franchise tag to use on him if they wanted to.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I get why it is done for fan relations reasons, especially after losing two of the team's most popular players (Newton and Kuechly). But, I honestly don't get paying a premium for an RB when you are likely about to enter a rebuild. They either have a bunch of faith in Bridgewater, and somehow rebuilding their D in one off-season, or its misguided and fan appeasement while they hope to bottom out for Fields or Lawrence.

Would be easier to trade him if he’s locked into a deal :dunno:

OT but I’m surprised Hurney still has a job. Thought Tepper would bring in someone else, especially this year after he hired Rhule & gave him such a lucrative deal

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
CMC earned the deal no doubt but he's signing the deal at perhaps the worst time. The franchise is stuck in mediocrity, not that such a thing is new to this franchise, but this is a different kind of mediocrity. If CMC went back in time but stayed the same age and landed here in 2011 there would at least be a rookie CThere's no franchise QB here, no Luke Kuechly to anchor on Defense, no Greg Olsen, etc. Yeah new coach but what exactly is the plan going forward? Strive for 7-9? Because that is what it seems like. And that's no way for a talented back like CMC to spend his prime years.

OT but I’m surprised Hurney still has a job. Thought Tepper would bring in someone else, especially this year after he hired Rhule & gave him such a lucrative deal

Hell everyone in Charlotte was shocked as hell when Richardson brought him back on a temporary basis in 2017. The way he was fired 5 years prior no one really thought Hurney would return in any form but here we are in 2020 and he's the full-time GM under the owner who has been here for 2 years now.

I mean to me at this point it's whatever. This is what the franchise is, a Super Bowl appearance one year, followed by no playoffs, then a playoff appearance and then 4-5 years of nothing, regardless of who the Owner/GM is

Last edited:
Reactions: Voight

Evincar

I have found the way
Aug 10, 2012

DJ was 24 when he entered the NFL, which is quite old for a rookie RB. Plus he's been injured twice.

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
CMC earned the deal no doubt but he's signing the deal at perhaps the worst time. The franchise is stuck in mediocrity, not that such a thing is new to this franchise, but this is a different kind of mediocrity. If CMC went back in time but stayed the same age and landed here in 2011 there would at least be a rookie CThere's no franchise QB here, no Luke Kuechly to anchor on Defense, no Greg Olsen, etc. Yeah new coach but what exactly is the plan going forward? Strive for 7-9? Because that is what it seems like. And that's no way for a talented back like CMC to spend his prime years.

Hell everyone in Charlotte was shocked as hell when Richardson brought him back on a temporary basis in 2017. The way he was fired 5 years prior no one really thought Hurney would return in any form but here we are in 2020 and he's the full-time GM under the owner who has been here for 2 years now.

I mean to me at this point it's whatever. This is what the franchise is, a Super Bowl appearance one year, followed by no playoffs, then a playoff appearance and then 4-5 years of nothing, regardless of who the Owner/GM is

I agree but also now is the time to rebuild. Wait it out two years and that division will be wide open with Brady and Brees retired.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad