Christian Fischer Sucks

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Early picks typically have offensive expectations. Fischer has played a better more involved game but the offensive stats are disappointing. We may just have to give up on him as anything but a depth player.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Early picks typically have offensive expectations. Fischer has played a better more involved game but the offensive stats are disappointing. We may just have to give up on him as anything but a depth player.

He is good defensively, so he is seeing really hard minutes and zone starts. He's a quality bottom 6 guy. At his price, a majority of teams would take him in this lead. He still has offensive upside as well.

Not worried about him. He was never going to be a dynamo power forward.

Reactions: Coyotedroppings

txw

Feb 2, 2018
I like Fisch, i just think he needs to accept his fate. 2nd line power forward is not in the cards for him, bottom 6 energy guy/PK guy is calling his name and hes living up to that. Once Richie leaves, eventually Grabs, we will value guys like him. Him getting put in a package a la the 7th ov and DeAngelo trade, i can see happening too. He has grit and tenacity, every team needs a guy like him.

Reactions: Ghostface Keller

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I don't think he is. Certainly doesn't look that way to me when i watch the games.

Fischer is playing on the shutdown line. Crouse hasn't ever been there to my knowledge. This is the same argument you use in favor of Crouse re: the PK.

But we'll look at 5v5 numbers

This year:
KvQ4VKN.jpg

Prior 3 years:
bae5xfm.png

Crouse is a low IQ player that struggles in any situation that isn't straightforward. I love his skating fridge style and his willingness to fight as much as you, but he is not a terrific all around player. That could change in the future, but for now he is on a Grabner style career path.

Fischer doesn't do anything to wow, but he's a smarter player. He has found a more consistent work ethic this year. He's not going to produce starting in the defensive zone 90% of the time with linemates like Richardson and Grabner. It's just not going to happen at any reasonable rate. But he's playing pretty good D, and that's why the coaches have him in that spot. Moving Vinny out of the dungeon and putting Fischer in a role where he shines is maybe the one most important move that has kept the team above water the past month or so.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Fischer is playing on the shutdown line. Crouse hasn't ever been there to my knowledge. This is the same argument you use in favor of Crouse re: the PK.

This year:
KvQ4VKN.jpg

Prior 3 years:
bae5xfm.png

Crouse is a low IQ player that struggles in any situation that isn't straightforward. I love his skating fridge style and his willingness to fight as much as you, but he is not a terrific all around player. That could change in the future, but for now he is on a Grabner style career path.

Fischer doesn't do anything to wow, but he's a smarter player. He has found a more consistent work ethic this year. He's not going to produce starting in the defensive zone 90% of the time with linemates like Richardson and Grabner. It's just not going to happen at any reasonable rate. But he's playing pretty good D, and that's why the coaches have him in that spot. Moving Vinny out of the dungeon and putting Fischer in a role where he shines is maybe the one most important move that has kept the team above water the past month or so.
Not too big on stats, but this validates the reason the Richardson/Grabner/Fischer line gets tougher assignments, they are all solid on D including Fisher. I think Fischer has a solid spot on the team now with his overall play, I don't see him sitting when Crouse is back full time.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
I love those Evolving Hockey charts - wish they were still free. Definitely worth the small amount they're asking for their work - I'm just too cheap (Winnipegers have a well earned reputation).

Last edited:

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville

This year:
KvQ4VKN.jpg

Prior 3 years:
bae5xfm.png

I think much of that must be dependent on things that are not Fischer himself. I don’t see a smart player. I don’t see a player that’s particularly adept defensively. He’s not making those plays. He does not demonstrate this. So perhaps it’s a product of linemates, match ups, or any other situational context. Fischer isn’t doing this himself. I’ve never seen it.

Canis Latrans

Jan 19, 2015
Australia
I think much of that must be dependent on things that are not Fischer himself. I don’t see a smart player. I don’t see a player that’s particularly adept defensively. He’s not making those plays. He does not demonstrate this. So perhaps it’s a product of linemates, match ups, or any other situational context. Fischer isn’t doing this himself. I’ve never seen it.
That seems likely to me too, but you can see he's getting himself involved more in the play than he was earlier in the season, just that he's not that effective at it.

rt

May 13, 2004
He's been so good this year. I hated him so much last season and in the bubble. But he's made himself valuable. I like him again. I never wanted to see him in a Coyotes sweater ever again after the bubble. I'm glad he's still here. His hits are actually hits now. He's asserting himself and making a difference. I like everything about his game as a 4th line winger, now. Very glad to have him around as a checking/energy line player.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
He's been so good this year. I hated him so much last season and in the bubble. But he's made himself valuable. I like him again. I never wanted to see him in a Coyotes sweater ever again after the bubble. I'm glad he's still here. His hits are actually hits now. He's asserting himself and making a difference. I like everything about his game as a 4th line winger, now. Very glad to have him around as a checking/energy line player.

Can’t hit the net...

He sucks!!!

Sm00chy

Sep 29, 2017
I cant help but think he watched the film of the Colorado series of him getting rag-dolled over and over again. Playing with a chip on his shoulder for the first time and it has turned his game around completely.

The scoring needs to start picking up for that 4th line however. The short-leash line will most likely cool off a little and that is where the depth and secondary scoring needs to step up. Personally I just think they are a casualty of bad luck as the chances have been there. I think Crouse has hit every inch of all three posts already this season.

rt

May 13, 2004
Honestly, he deserved to feel humiliated after his performance last season and especially in the bubble. I’m glad he watched BA bring in a bunch of dudes that were supposed to do the job he wasn’t doing and had reputations for doing it better. I’m glad that those two factors seem to have motivated him to play the way he needs to play to be impactful and keep his job.

He was danger-close to lovable mascot, only hanging around because he’s popular in the room. Not great for longevity. Much better for his survival to instead look at Caggiula and Pitlick and Hayden and Crouse and always make sure he’s working as hard as them and hitting as hard as them and back checking and forechecking as hard as them.

There’s a brighter future in that business.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad