Confirmed with Link: Christian Dvorak signs ELC

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Well, we can finally breathe a sigh of relief on that one. We've got our Triple D future core locked up. Just need a McEichel to put it all together.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Fantastic pick. We were trashed for making it but this kid has come out of nowhere to be a legit A top prospect in the league.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Fantastic pick. We were trashed for making it but this kid has come out of nowhere to be a legit A top prospect in the league.

Don't remember anyone trashing the pick. Just not hyped at all.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ

That's news to me. Dvorak was coming off a major knee injury so consensus IIRC was we were probably reaching a little, but not grotesquely so.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Don't remember anyone trashing the pick. Just not hyped at all.

Redline thought we jumped way early on him for one.

It wasn't Blake Wheeler criticism but when a guy isn't on most ranking sheets until the 5th or 6th round we raised some eyebrows by taking him in the second.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Redline thought we jumped way early on him for one.

It wasn't Blake Wheeler criticism but when a guy isn't on most ranking sheets until the 5th or 6th round we raised some eyebrows by taking him in the second.

And it's not like they're totally wrong. Getting guys in the appropriate round is an important skill. The scouts get paid to find the winners, so they went with it. Sometimes it works, sometimes it's Tikhonov or Visentin.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
And it's not like they're totally wrong. Getting guys in the appropriate round is an important skill. The scouts get paid to find the winners, so they went with it. Sometimes it works, sometimes it's Tikhonov or Visentin.

Next time I suggest a goalie in the first round remind me about Scott Darling (who we drafted in 2007).

After seeing the Canucks list and that they had Visentin at 14 I don't question the pick per se; especially after Hayes left the Hawks in the lurch. Tikhonov we panicked; although I was always a fan of his game just not the country on his passport. He may be back though.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Next time I suggest a goalie in the first round remind me about Scott Darling (who we drafted in 2007).

After seeing the Canucks list and that they had Visentin at 14 I don't question the pick per se; especially after Hayes left the Hawks in the lurch. Tikhonov we panicked; although I was always a fan of his game just not the country on his passport. He may be back though.

I can understand the sentiment on why we did not pick up a forward with the Visentin pick, but I also think that there were some underlying items that came with that.

First of all, teams are trying to move around all the time. I think that there were at least 3 other teams (not including us) that had Visentin as a back-end first round pick. Not saying that this means we HAVE to take him, but when need and opportunity meet, that creates this pick.

Secondly, we were basically a team that no one knew where we were going to wind up in 5 years. If you were a pretty solid caliber draft-eligible forward, and you see this upstart team that:
1. made their way back into the playoffs with little to no fanfare
2. was owned by the NHL
3. in a traditionally non-hockey market
4. had the chance to be relocated (remember some of our guesses were as good as others as to what may or may not happen)

How would you have reacted as an 18 year old kid who may be with this team in 3-4 years? So, all-in-all, as many want to peg that pick as a disaster with Visentin, I actually think the Coyotes played it pretty smart. They took a pick that they knew would likely be in the league in 5 years, at a minimum. The player taken was coveted by some teams, but also apparently had very good interviews, and even had that sort of, "Whoa, I can't believe I was picked in the 1st round" look to him when drafted. That signifies a player whom teams liked, and also had some elements like humility that continued to elevate him from a top 60 player to a top 50, then top 40, then 35, and eventually to the 1st round.

Plus, if he turns it on but we find a goalie post-Bryzgalov, he may become a somewhat tradable asset at the very least, if not a sure-fire backup to develop into a starter.

I am not upset with past picks that were made, I just feel like we substituted need for value (or vice versa) at times (and got burnt). Where our drafting failed was in the 2nd through 7th rounds - we simply did not have strong enough players to continue to the NHL, let alone be competitive with our rising stars in the AHL, and juniors.

zz

Nov 1, 2006
Awesome news. Now if we can just get lucky tomorrow...

Shepard

Apr 13, 2012
Well, we can finally breathe a sigh of relief on that one. We've got our Triple D future core locked up. Just need a McEichel to put it all together.

Were any of you guys concerned he wouldn't sign with us? And if so, why?

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
No, no my diagnosis would definitely be...

Considering Dvorak likely goes back to OHL next year what real incentive outside of a signing bonus did he have to not just play out the year and renter the draft. That was my fear. Reality is though the Knights may suck bad and his stats take a huge hit. He was better to leverage as much as he could and sign now.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
Nice to see Dvorak get inked up. High hopes for him in 2016-2017.
What other prospects do we have unsigned?
From the 2013 draft, Domi and Dauphin are signed, Clifton and Soleway are in college so we hang onto them for a couple more years, and Laplante and Burke are both still unsigned. We need to ink them up this summer or lose their rights.

From the 2014 draft, Perlini, MacInnis and Dvorak are the only guys signed, but we have 1+ years to make decisions on the rest.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad