Christian Backman or Paul Martin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bruins4777*

Paul Martin is going to be a future no.1 guy with 50 point potential to me. Probably an all-star dman.

I'd take paul martin ANYDAY over backman. A couple games last season martin was logging nearly 30 minutes of icetime as a rookie playing next to niedermayer. Sure niedermayer may have made him look good, but the fact that he could handle all that ice time and not screw up was awful impressive to me.

BlueBleeder

Sep 28, 2004
Looking for others
Backman is going to put up a few 40pts seasons.

Martin might put up more points in the long run, but I think Backman would have outscored him this year, mainly because of Backman getting alot of time on the powerplay with Pronger.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
martin was good enough to be an important defenseman in the world cup for the us, he is future replacement for neidermayer. i think he will be an allstar. backman is pretty good, but i dont think they will be on the same level for long. backman may put up decent points, but ithink martin will outscore him as well.

Kafka

Mar 1, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
bleedgreen said:
martin was good enough to be an important defenseman in the world cup for the us, he is future replacement for neidermayer. i think he will be an allstar. backman is pretty good, but i dont think they will be on the same level for long. backman may put up decent points, but ithink martin will outscore him as well.

Injuries kind of help Martin's presence on USA's roster... I haven't seen both players in game situations a lot yet, but I see Backman as a more complete player than Martin.

bruins4777*

Kafka said:
Injuries kind of help Martin's presence on USA's roster... I haven't seen both players in game situations a lot yet, but I see Backman as a more complete player than Martin.

really? I see it the complete opposite. Honestly i think backman might out score martin, because he is better power play wise. But to me martin's poise defensively will put him ahead of backman...

bruins4777*

MissionHockey said:
Martin outplayed Rafalski defensively last year. He played on the top pairing over White also.

outplaying white isn't much. :lol

Postman

Feb 27, 2002
bruins4777 said:
outplaying white isn't much. :lol
No, but outplaying Rafalski is.

And even though he was an injury replacement at the World Cup, once he was there, he proved he belonged.

IMO, Martin is right there with Leopold, and Suter as the future core of the US defense.

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
Martin was easily our #2 defenseman through most of last season. He got PP time over Rafalski and really ate into White's icetime. Then on the US team, he and Rafalski very quickly became Team USA's #1 pairing, to the point that Roenick and Thorne made note of it and their efficiency at getting the puck out of the zone. Martin's poise and ability to make the good outlet pass make him an extremely effective transition defenseman, and if he bulks up just a bit he can add some physicality to his game.

I was so impressed by Paul last season, and surprised by his poise and skill. There aren't many young defensemen I take over him right now.

Edit: plus, he's being mentored by the very best... Robinson, Laperriere, Stevens, and Niedermayer. What else could you possibly want?

bruins4777*

Flame_Star_Devil said:
Martin was easily our #2 defenseman through most of last season. He got PP time over Rafalski and really ate into White's icetime. Then on the US team, he and Rafalski very quickly became Team USA's #1 pairing, to the point that Roenick and Thorne made note of it and their efficiency at getting the puck out of the zone. Martin's poise and ability to make the good outlet pass make him an extremely effective transition defenseman, and if he bulks up just a bit he can add some physicality to his game.

I was so impressed by Paul last season, and surprised by his poise and skill. There aren't many young defensemen I take over him right now.

Saying that he got pp time over rafalski should be enough to show why martin is an easy pick over backman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad