Prospect Info: Chris Wilkie - RW

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Doubt we will be using a contract spot on him, especially with all our current prospects and picks coming up. Was likely a move to rid us of a contract.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
He's a 5th year Senior in a league full of players significantly younger than he is. None of these stats lines should be taken at face value.

He has no realistic NHL future. Out-of-nowhere Senior Year breakthroughs in NCAA are Fool's Gold almost 100% of the time, let alone what is essentially a Senior+1 breakthrough like this year - he' a full-grown man playing in a developmental league

He's probably a depth AHL player at his peak. Hard pass. Just let him go in the summer and use the contract slot on a player who actually has a snowball's chance in hell of being something. We already won the trade by freeing up a contract slot this year.

Reactions: NB613

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Any news on this front as far as a contract or any other options? Cryptic message from him a while ago about agent examining pro options.

Turns 24 this summer so I'm not sure the upside - but after the two years at North Dakota he at least drew some attention (though scoring goals on a team that isn't that strong doesn't always translate).

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Wouldn't mind if they gave him an AHL contract.
That seems likely. I guess the Senators must be apprehensive about giving him an ELC and that is why he hasn't signed yet. But he certainly seems good enough to get an AHL contract and can earn a two way contract from there.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
I'm really intrigued by this kid now. I know he's old for the NCHC, but he led the league in goals by a 50% margin over the next guy (Shane Pinto). He also did so while playing on a team that won only 4 out of their 24 games. Ouch. I can't imagine he had a ton of help. His 23 goals was also second in the NCAA and he was 4th in NCAA Goals/GP.

I say give him a contract and let's see what he can do in Belleville next year.

Last edited:
Reactions: NB613

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I'm really intrigued by this kid now. I know he's old for the NCHC, but he led the league in goals by a 50% margin over the next guy (Shane Pinto). He also did so while playing on a team that won only 4 out of their 24 games. Ouch. I can't imagine he had a ton of help. His 23 goals was also second in the NCAA and he was 4th in NCAA Goals/GP.

I say give him a contract and let's see what he can do in Belleville next year.
He's a 23/24 year old that couldn't hit a ppg in the NCAA, not worth an NHL contract.

His linemate is a year younger, undrafted, had 1 less point, and signed an AHL contract.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
He's a 23/24 year old that couldn't hit a ppg in the NCAA, not worth an NHL contract.

His linemate is a year younger, undrafted, had 1 less point, and signed an AHL contract.

I think you're putting too much emphasis on a year of age for a player that is already 23 years old.

His Goal Per Game numbers are near the top of the entire NCAA on a very very bad team. That didn't happen just because he's a year older. He was also one point shy of PPG last season at 22 years old. So quite a bit more productive than his linemate when comparing at the same age. And Wilkie also has a better pedigree as he passed the scouting test enough to get himself drafted into the NHL.

He was a 6th round Cats draft pick. It took a while, but this is pretty much what you hope for with a pick that late that needs some seasoning. I say sign him, even if it has to be an AHL deal just to keep him associated to the org. Late bloomers happen sometimes, and why walk away from prospects when they're still chugging along and getting better?

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I think you're putting too much emphasis on a year of age for a player that is already 23 years old.

His Goal Per Game numbers are near the top of the entire NCAA on a very very bad team. That didn't happen just because he's a year older. He was also one point shy of PPG last season at 22 years old. So quite a bit more productive than his linemate when comparing at the same age. And Wilkie also has a better pedigree as he passed the scouting test enough to get himself drafted into the NHL.

He was a 6th round Cats draft pick. It took a while, but this is pretty much what you hope for with a pick that late that needs some seasoning. I say sign him, even if it has to be an AHL deal just to keep him associated to the org. Late bloomers happen sometimes, and why walk away from prospects when they're still chugging along and getting better?
But that’s not a late bloomer, his season was not that great. He had high goal totals and a total of 8 assists, as one of the oldest players in the NCAA. Age absolutely has to do with it, he’s playing against guys 5 years younger than him, and he has been in the NCAA since the year Chabot was drafted. He’s got a huge advantage over guys, it’s the same as when you suddenly see a 20 year old have a great season in the CHL after doing nothing the first few years, it doesn’t mean they have suddenly figured it out, they have a huge age and development advantage.

Quite a bit better? Not sure what you see, but I think that 30 points in 33 games at 22 is a better season than 19 points in 20 games, and Halloran also had 45 points in 35 games as a 21 year old. He’s had the much better NCAA career, and is younger, and never had to take a year off to transfer.

No team ever hopes that the forward they drafted can’t hit a ppg at the NCAA in his 4th NCAA season at age 23. The Cats weren’t going to offer him a contract, and we weren’t either and wanted the contract space, that’s all this trade was.

Last edited:

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
But that’s not a late bloomer, his season was not that great. He had high goal totals and a total of 8 assists, as one of the oldest players in the NCAA. Age absolutely has to do with it, he’s playing against guys 5 years younger than him, and he has been in the NCAA since the year Chabot was drafted. He’s got a huge advantage over guys, it’s the same as when you suddenly see a 20 year old have a great season in the CHL after doing nothing the first few years, it doesn’t mean they have suddenly figured it out, they have a huge age and development advantage.

Quite a bit better? Not sure what you see, but I think that 30 points in 33 games at 22 is a better season than 19 points in 20 games, and Halloran also had 45 points in 35 games as a 21 year old. He’s had the much better NCAA career, and is younger, and never had to take a year off to transfer.

No team ever hopes that the forward they drafted can’t hit a ppg at the NCAA in his 4th NCAA season at age 23. The Cats weren’t going to offer him a contract, and we weren’t either and wanted the contract space, that’s all this trade was.

I'm not suggesting he's going to be a star, just that I think he had a good year and I think it's bad asset management to let him walk. I don't think either of us has seen him play before. On the stats alone, my money is betting they give him an AHL deal. But I guess we'll see pretty soon.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad