Chris Wideman vs. Mikael Wikstrand, who is better?

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Difficult to tell actually, conservatively I say Vikstrand cause he's bigger and younger already doing very well in SHL and has top 4 potential in NHL.

But Wideman was just AHL best defender and could be a late bloomer, seems like a definite contender for a bottom pairing job at NHL so far whether Ottawa or elsewhere. Who knows where he goes from there. 25 not that old.

Vikstrand though by the time he's 23 could be mainstay on our bottom pair already. Maybe even latter half of this year if he outplays Wideman and he's only 21.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Vikstrand is a highly cerebral player with elite vision. No comparison between him and a one-trick pony career AHLer lacking any shroud of defensive acumen.

Did I forget to mention that I haven't seen either play? :sarcasm: I do know that Dorion once called Vikstrand one of the best D-men outside the NHL and the team seems Richardson-warm on Wideman. Without any firsthand knowledge, I'll go with Vikstrand. Hopefully they're both awesome, natch.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Wideman is better right now, Wikstrand has the higher potential impact for the Sens in the future

Agreed, not sure if Wideman will be able to produce at the NHL level the way he did in the AHL, but I guess we will see this yr at some point. IMO Claesson may also be in this conversation, he has a more rounded game playing well on both offence & defence, although he doesn't have quite the offensive numbers one would want in a 2nd pairing defenceman. I would guess that both Wideman & Claesson will be given a shot this yr at some point probably through injuries & Wikstrand should get his opportunity either late this yr or next season.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Vikstrand is a highly cerebral player with elite vision. No comparison between him and a one-trick pony career AHLer lacking any shroud of defensive acumen.

Did I forget to mention that I haven't seen either play? :sarcasm: I do know that Dorion once called Vikstrand one of the best D-men outside the NHL and the team seems Richardson-warm on Wideman. Without any firsthand knowledge, I'll go with Vikstrand. Hopefully they're both awesome, natch.

It would be very interesting to have a collection of Dorion quotes, and then compare them to the results over time! :)

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I like vhat I have seen of both of them. If I had to chose a player to keep for the next 10 years I vould probably go vit Vikstrand

Karl Eriksson

Boring!
Apr 12, 2007
Ottawa
What are the people that say Wikstrand going off of ? His body of work is pretty small, and there certainly isn't much of a statistical mass there either.

I don't know what the answer is, but Wideman at least has a body of work to assess.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
What are the people that say Wikstrand going off of ? His body of work is pretty small, and there certainly isn't much of a statistical mass there either.

I don't know what the answer is, but Wideman at least has a body of work to assess.

He does have about 120 games in a pro league (sry, it's 212 between the two SHLs), compared to Wideman's 208...

Not sure what you want really in terms of body of work.

Last edited:

leftwinglocker

Go Knights !
Jul 22, 2010
He does have about 120 games in a pro league (sry, it's 212 between the two SHLs), compared to Wideman's 208...

Not sure what you want really in terms of body of work.

David Runblad tore it up with his 153 in the SEL . Lots of big, safe, ice in that league.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
David Runblad tore it up with his 153 in the SEL . Lots of big, safe, ice in that league.

Corey Locke and TJ Brennan have torn it up in the AHL; not every player can translate their success from one league to another.

You can find lots of examples from both leagues of players that can't translate to the NHL.

leftwinglocker

Go Knights !
Jul 22, 2010
Corey Locke and TJ Brennan have torn it up in the AHL; not every player can translate their success from one league to another.

You can find lots of examples from both leagues of players that can't translate to the NHL.

Absolutely agree. Games in the NHL will sort it out. Track records in the AHL or SEL can be very misleading.

Slack

everything's fine?
Apr 27, 2012
Gonna go with the seeming majority on this one; Wideman now, potentially Wikstrand later.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad