Chris Wagner

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Playing for the South Shore Kings of the EJHL he lead the leauge with 34G and 49A for 83 in 44 games. He's also 6'0" and 190lbs so he isn't exactly a small kid. How come he isn't rated higher? His linemate Charlie Coyle is projected to go in the first round while Wagner doesn't even seem to go in the first 4-5 rounds.

Has anyone seen him live or know why he is rated so low?

Kirk- NEHJ

Aug 22, 2002
CAV Country!
www.hockeyjournal.com
He's small and was passed over last year. I think he'll get drafted this year in the middle-to-late rounds, but he doesn't have the high-end/elite skills that NHL teams want from players of his size. I like him pretty well-- he was dominant in the first playoff game against the Green Mountain Glades in early March, and a lot of NHL scouts were on hand to see that one (scouting Coyle). Wagner's productive, but he does his damage through hard work, tenacity and good instincts. He's very good for the EJHL level, but as a pro prospect, much more difficult to project at this stage. He's also not going to a big-time D1 program...off the top of my head, I believe it is Colgate, so we'll see what he does at that level and go from there.

CarltonCA

May 5, 2010
Costa Mesa
Ejhl

I saw him play quite a bit over the last 2 years in the EJ. He's a physical player who plays hard all the time and will do anything to get to the net. His speed greatly improved this year but his work ethic is what everyone talks about.

Kirk- you say he does his damage through hard work, tenacity and good instincts...isn't that more than half the battle at making it to the next level?

Kirk- NEHJ

Aug 22, 2002
CAV Country!
www.hockeyjournal.com
Sure it is. But even though he's a very good skater, he's still a bit of a longshot because he doesn't have the elite-level puck skills, IMO, of other smaller players who make it to the show.

I've always been impressed with him when I saw him live, but he was passed over last year so he's got an uphill battle ahead.

CarltonCA

May 5, 2010
Costa Mesa
No doubt it's a long way for the second year guys.

If you know off the top of your head, how many 2nd or 3rd year eligible typically go in a draft? The guy who jumps out at me is Ramage. Ranked pretty high last year, passed over and now ranked mid range this year. World Junior experience and a full year at Wisconsin.

Kirk- NEHJ

Aug 22, 2002
CAV Country!
www.hockeyjournal.com
I don't have the number, but could research it because a few guys went last year, like Lane MacDermid to Boston and Kris Foucoult to Minnesota and Mike Cichy to Montreal and Nicola Riopel to Philly Scott Timmins to Florida and so on. I'm sure there are others.

Mark Recchi was a guy who was passed over twice, and even at age 20 and after putting up huge points for Kamloops (154 pts in 62 games), didn't get picked until the 4th round in 1988.

Wagner's a good kid-- I'm confident he'll get drafted because I think he deserves it and has some upside. Another guy from NE who's been passed over twice that I don't get is Pat Mullane, who looked pretty decent as a freshman at BC this year.

CarltonCA

May 5, 2010
Costa Mesa
I thought Mullane would go last year too after his year in the USHL.

It's funny, the guys that were really hyped all last year in New England were Henrion at UNH and Steve Whitney at BC. Neither was chosen. Both I thought would have a shot as second year eligibles and I havent heard either name mentioned lately.

I think the same thing that happened to them is happening to Billet although I have to say he is a better pro prospect than those guys.

nbducksfan19

Jun 4, 2008
This guy is an intersting player. Last year in the Ducks Camp he really impressed, and actually looked like a player that should be competing for a spot over some of our more highly regarded prospects. However, he didn't do much in his first year at Colgate. Then, he comes and dominates the one day prospect conditioning camp. Anyone have more insight on this guy?

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
This guy is an intersting player. Last year in the Ducks Camp he really impressed, and actually looked like a player that should be competing for a spot over some of our more highly regarded prospects. However, he didn't do much in his first year at Colgate. Then, he comes and dominates the one day prospect conditioning camp. Anyone have more insight on this guy?

I don't know if 4 goals in a prospects scrimmage tells the whole story...he's improved, but I think at best he's a career AHL guy.

nbducksfan19

Jun 4, 2008
I don't know if 4 goals in a prospects scrimmage tells the whole story...he's improved, but I think at best he's a career AHL guy.

did u go to training camp last year, the prospect scrimmage, or his games at colgate - or are u talking out of you butt?

I watched him at the first 2, and he didn't look like a career AHL guy.

nbducksfan19

Jun 4, 2008
that was my opinion. or 3rd 4th liner.

understood it was you opinion. i just wanted to know if anyone had consistently seen him actually play and could access his potential, because from what I have seen, his play is far superior to his college stats.

SmokeyDuck

Jul 27, 2010
Anaheim, CA
Etem and Wagner where the best fowards at the Ducks prospect camp. Wagner scored 4 goals and his tenacity and solid play really impressed me. I'm excited to see what he does with the Ducks in the future.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad