Value of: Chris Tierney-SJ

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Absolutely, but the defenseman probably has to be right handed (or a left handed shooter who primarily plays the right side) and has to be at a similar position in value.

It’s tough to say what kind of value they place on him. His numbers look good; 40 points and 1st amongst forwards in SHTOI on the #2 penalty kill in the NHL. I don’t personally think he is as good as the numbers say, though. I think that if you can make a trade with a GM that sees “23 year old 40 point elite PK center” and doesn’t look too far past those numbers and watch him play or look at his more advanced metrics, that is a very good trade to make.

If I were Doug Wilson, I would be trying to sell him while his value is at its absolute highest. If a GM is trading a top line/pair type player, and the asking price is the classic “roster player, prospect, pick”, I would wonder if Tierney could be that roster player.

Last edited:

olli

Unregistered User
Dec 2, 2016
cÃnÃdÃ
Absolutely, but the defenseman probably has to be right handed (or a left handed shooter who primarily plays the right side) and has to be at a similar position in value.

It’s tough to say what kind of value they place on him. His numbers look good; 40 points and 1st amongst forwards in SHTOI on the #2 penalty kill in the NHL. I don’t personally think he is as good as the numbers say, though. I think that if you can make a trade with a GM that sees “23 year old 40 point elite PK center” and doesn’t look too far past those numbers and watch him play or look at his more advanced metrics, that is a very good trade to make.

If I were Doug Wilson, I would be trying to sell him while his value is at its absolute highest. If a GM is trading a top line/pair type player, and the asking price is the classic “roster player, prospect, pick”, I would wonder if Tierney could be that roster player.
Maybe straight up for zaitsev (with salary retained)?

Visnovsky

Aug 20, 2010
Finland
I think there was mutual interest in a trade that consisted of Tierney+Braun for Gardiner+Kapanen

That is something I would definitely do.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I think there was mutual interest in a trade that consisted of Tierney+Braun for Gardiner+Kapanen

That is something I would definitely do.

Oh man. I really, really like that idea. But the problem with it, for me, is that Braun would be Gardiner’s most ideal partner. I would love to put those two together on the bottom pairing.

And I’m guessing Toronto is probably specifically looking for RHD, or I would offer to swap Braun out for Dillon in that proposal. Just about every team in the NHL is looking to swap at least one LHD with a comparable RHD. :laugh:

I don’t even think that we need Kapanen, either. He’s definitely an exciting young forward and a valuable piece but the Sharks already have too many wingers of roughly his caliber.

I would be willing to do Dillon+Tierney for Gardiner+Kapanen. Or I would be willing to remove Dillon and Kapanen and add something to Tierney.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
The problem for me in that trade is that Braun is the main target for me, not Tierney. :laugh:

Right, and that’s understandable. From a value perspective, it’s totally fair. It’s just that, in my opinion, we currently have 3 NHL caliber LD and 2 NHL caliber RD. This trade brings us to 4 and 1. That’s just too big a split :laugh:

Reactions: Visnovsky

jMoneyBrah

Jan 10, 2013
South Bay
i don’t think the Sharks need Gardiner as the left side of the D is pretty set. Would rather Toronto’s first.

:leafs
Braun
Tierney

:sharks
Kapanen
2018 1st

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
At 2.25, it is probably just fair, if not a bit of an overpay. At 4.5... Jesus Christ, is that deal horrible.
It's horrible if he continues to play bad like he did this season. If he plays like he did last season it will be ok. A rising cap also helps make it look not as bad.

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
Tierney is very underrated. A great 3C especially defensively and on the PK, SJ would probably only deal him for a cost controlled asset (like a young RHD with top 4 potential)

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
Jake McCabe & Girgensons for Tierney? Although it looks like Sharks need RHD, McCabe has played on the right side during his time with the Sabres

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
From the Flyers:

PHI: Robert Hagg + 2018 4th

SJ: Chris Tierney

SJ wants someone who has a ceiling as a top 4... although Hagg is not RHD, he plays that Westen style of hockey and is loved by the PHI coaches. He’s young around the age of 23 and is just coming off his ELC and shouldn’t get more that 2 mil in my opinion. Very solid bottom 4 pairing Dman.

PHI needs a 3C and a PKer... Tierney fits that build.

This should be fair... in my opinion at least.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad