Player Discussion Chris Tierney (C)

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
Then shouldn't he have fixed any issues with the franco fans? He was a much bigger name when he was drafted than any Quebecer the Sens have ever had.

It was a tough time to lure French fans or more specifically Quebec fans at the time considering the Habs had just won the cup, but he did pull in quite a French following.

Then when he never lived up to the hype, those fans fizzled out as well.

Either way, it's always going to be tough for the Sens anywhere outside of Ottawa. It's not going to be one player that's going to change that.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
To be fair I saw at least two other posters chime in to discuss the value of having local players being placed as a priority when not specifically addressing you as part of a reply, so I didn’t see the point in signaling out anyone as it would miss the point entirely I was attempting to make. However your later response to @Multigrain clears the air on your specific perspective quite well, and it actually does make sense from a marketing POV given Ottawa’s proximity to Quebec. Conversely I think the same argument could be made of having players from the GTA on our squad to grab some of south western Ontario’s attention. Do I think it would work? No. Not really. I don’t think any of that matters unless your player personal is a productive NHL player. I think fans may look at where a guy is from and say “oh cool my neck of the woods” and then go on with their day drafting Matthews’, Kucherovs’ and Laines’ of the world in their fantasy leagues. I hope the same will happen with the likes of Tkachuk, Chabot, Lajoie, White, Brown, Chlapik, Batherson, Formenton, Wolanin etc due to their hopeful emergence as studs who astute hockey fans follow due to said on ice studliness. I think bottom line is where a guy is from is the cherry on top of the cake and shouldn’t be of much concern when deciding who to build around. That’s all. For instance I’m convinced that the only reason Ceci is still on this team is due to the fact he’s from orleans. Dead serious. I don’t think you’re someone who would argue that’s a good reason for doing so, I’m just illustrating an extreme example of how far warped logic can go haha

All good, maybe I wasn't clear enough. I don't like Pageau because he's local (I don't even live in Ottawa lol) but because he is from Quebec and I want the Sens to be more popular (and less hated) where I live. The Sens came back in the NHL 25 years ago and have some heavy competition in the area with the Leafs, Habs and Rangers being super big markets that have been here for so long. If Pageau sucked, I would want him gone but he doesn't. Like you said, it's a bonus. If 2 players are equal, then you might want to keep the "local" guy for marketing reasons. There's probably many people who care about that and would follow a team more because of it. Not even talking about when Chabot/Lajoie/Pageau friends and family buy tickets to see him live.

That's the sort of mindset that led to tanking for and drafting Alexandre Daigle. He was the quebecer that would drive all the francos to the Sens fanbase. Didn't happen. If you aren't going to be a fan of your local team when you choose your team, in all likelihood you're not a great person.

wow just wow. I wish I could be a great person too.

You gave that post alot more respect than I would have.

I know lol, as my friend was telling me the other day, there's a lot of trolls/Pejorative Slurs that go full Pejorative Slur on the internet, you have to just ignore it. I'm jut not very good at trolling resistance, I have to improve my TR/60

Have you seen the other gem? Why am I still surprised? It's the internet :facepalm:

Reactions: Clayonator

pzeeman

May 15, 2013
Aylmer
It was a tough time to lure French fans or more specifically Quebec fans at the time considering the Habs had just won the cup, but he did pull in quite a French following.

Then when he never lived up to the hype, those fans fizzled out as well.

Either way, it's always going to be tough for the Sens anywhere outside of Ottawa. It's not going to be one player that's going to change that.
Exactly. I think if Daigle had actually become the next Lemieux, the fans over here would have embraced the Sens very quickly.

I think Pageau is important to the team’s outreach to the Outaouais because he’s from here, played for the Olympiques and plays well for the Senators.

Reactions: L'Aveuglette

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
This guy is a nice little player. I can see him putting up 60 points.

Just a nice player you like having on your team. Makes you feel ok when he's out there.

I agree. Just makes this right hockey play, as simple as it is, but damned effective. He must be loving the expanded role too, must be a lot of fun to come to the rink everyday for him right now

scallionjj11

FOREVERALFIE
Jun 10, 2009
East Coast
Im from planet earth, half French half Italian and even some Austrian roots, Canadian for 25 years. I also lived in Switzerland and almost moved to Mexico a while back. My best friend is libanese, and my wife is half Jamaican, half Italian. So sorry to be open minded and living without frontier

Actually, wouldn’t your post kind of reveal that you are the one self centered?

Any other judgmental remark or is it going to be racism next post? You don’t really sound too Canadian.

Holy cow batman

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I think it speaks pretty loudly about a person's character when they have zero interest in supporting their local community.

I support my local community by spending a lot of money in restaurants, professional services and stores of all sorts. However, I admit being a big Costco customer and I put gas there. But even if it's an american corporation, people working there are locals. I also did some charity work and gave money to all kind of local foundations. I even worked 3 years with teenagers with problems even if I was making a lot less money. I don't need to support the Habs, they don't need me, they are filthy rich. Both Ottawa and Quebec city (if they had a team I would support both) are 2-3 hours away from my house, it's so close that I could consider them "local" as well.

You have no idea of my character or anybody else around here for that matter. Please tell me you're just trolling.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
In the trade thread, San Jose fans are losing their shit because Tierney's has scored a bunch of points for us.

We know it's a small sample size, geez. No one is trying to say we won the deal. You can bring it back down to DEFCON 5 now please.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I think we have seen the best that Pageau has to offer & he had a very good run here but IMO the future of this team has much more potential without Pageau in the lineup. Ottawa has three centres coming in Brown, White & Chlapik down the middle which IMO has more offensive potential than Pageau not to mention Norris & I also think White could be better defensively. Tierny also plays centre & has been pretty good for the team as has Duchene. If Pageau has some value out there now may be the time to move him as well.

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
In the trade thread, San Jose fans are losing their **** because Tierney's has scored a bunch of points for us.

We know it's a small sample size, geez. No one is trying to say we won the deal. You can bring it back down to DEFCON 5 now please.

Tierney >>> Thornton

AINEC!

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
I've been loving watching this guy. He's not the most skilled guy but playing with so much confidence right now. I hope he keeps it up.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
I think it speaks pretty loudly about a person's character when they have zero interest in supporting their local community.

Yet you think having local players that young french speakers can relate to is stupid.

Look, no one is saying go after any and all french native players over more talented guys, but yes, if you're located in a bilingual region, and you have the option to draft a few extra players that speak french, you do it.

The Senators have done a pretty lousy job at marketing themselves as a "Outaouais region" team. There was barely any advertising in Gatineau for their first few decades in Ottawa. So don't put the onus on Québec natives to support a team that really didn't try to appeal to them. Some of us did choose to "jump ship", but a lot more would have if we felt like the Sens were a "Ottawa-Gatineau" organization. Throwing us a few bones here and there won't do it.

If you want to criticize someone, criticize Leafs fans who have zero reason not to support the local team.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
If you aren't going to be a fan of your local team when you choose your team, in all likelihood you're not a great person.

the notion that you can determine what kind of person someone is based on who they cheer for is kind of a special thought. I think we should sticky this post so that people can reference it in the future when dealing with you. seriously mam. ...I even know local leaf fans that are fine hu man beings so clearly you're pretty wrong here

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
Yet you think having local players that young french speakers can relate to is stupid.

I never said that. Don't lie about what I've said.

Look, no one is saying go after any and all french native players over more talented guys, but yes, if you're located in a bilingual region, and you have the option to draft a few extra players that speak french, you do it.

You should pick the best players and hire the best people to run your team. Language should not be a factor in that.

If you want to criticize someone, criticize Leafs fans who have zero reason not to support the local team.

Yeah, they tend to be garbage people. I'm extra careful when I see a vehicle on the roads and they've got some ugly Leaf decal on it. They tend to be crappy drivers too.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
I never said that. Don't lie about what I've said.

You're literally saying we shouldn't be targeting french-speaking players based on the demographics of the region.

You should pick the best players and hire the best people to run your team. Language should not be a factor in that.

Case in point.

Language IS a factor in THIS region. It's a unique situation and ignoring it won't get you any more fans on the Québec side. Thankfully the team has done so. Now all they need to do is actually market these guys properly(and get an owner who cares).

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
You're literally saying we shouldn't be targeting french-speaking players based on the demographics of the region.

Case in point.

Look, either improve your reading comprehension skills to high school level or stop trying to tell me what I'm thinking.

"having local players that young french speakers can relate to is stupid" is not the same as "you should pick the best players... Language should not be a factor"

There's a quote feature on here. You should use that instead of trying (and failing) to reinterpret other people's comments.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
What you’re thinking? You said we can judge the character of a person or if she/he is great person or not depending if he supports his local sports team or not...

Does anyone really want to know what you’re thinking after that? Gosh, I hope not :help:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad