Proposal: Chris Tanev + Sven Baertschi + 2nd rounder for 1st round pick

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
The Leafs can give you the 25th overall, and you get to keep Baertschi and the 2nd rounder.

Edit: to keep it more on topic, I think that package should get you around 15th or better.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Agreed that Toronto's 1st for Tanev is the consensus, but Toronto's pick is also #25. Not bad, but why not shoot for something higher?

If adding in Baertschi (Goldobin takes his spot in the line-up) + Tanev gets us Edmonton's 10th as Pomx says, then I think I'd be open to that. That should land us one of Hughes, Smith, or even Dobson (2018 NHL Mock Draft - NHL - DraftSite.com)

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

HC7

May 2, 2018
I remember when Canucks fans wanted Liljegren plus from the Leafs.

25th is pretty fair but with his injury history it's hard to build a D with him in it so you're probably looking for a 2nd unless Vancouver adds in which case they could probably get a 1st.

Soups On

Apr 27, 2012
I remember when Canucks fans wanted Liljegren plus from the Leafs.

25th is pretty fair but with his injury history it's hard to build a D with him in it so you're probably looking for a 2nd unless Vancouver adds in which case they could probably get a 1st.
A few fans does not represent the masses. Tanev for 25th isn't fair, it's a f***ing steal by Toronto. Only a 2nd? That's laughable.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
I would be OK with a 1st + 2nd from the Leafs.
He's not perfect but he'd certainly improve the back-end.

I still have a feeling the TO brass are being stingy with their 1st though. Gotta keep those ELCs rolling in to compete.

Reactions: Ziggdiezan

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Adding Baertschi and a 2nd isn't going to entice anyone. The top picks your looking for are mostly owned by rebuilding teams, who don't need a player like Baertschi. Those teams need high end prospects, which are typically acquired via draft.

Even Tanev is a piece that would be most coveted by a competing team. So it's more likely to be the opposite scenario for the Canucks, where Tanev is traded for a pick plus an add. Although they are probably better off targeting a solid young player, as opposed to a draft pick, assuming their goal is to get one single piece to help them in the future.

Reactions: Canucks1096

pomx

May 15, 2014
Adding Baertschi and a 2nd isn't going to entice anyone. The top picks your looking for are mostly owned by rebuilding teams, who don't need a player like Baertschi. Those teams need high end prospects, which are typically acquired via draft.

Even Tanev is a piece that would be most coveted by a competing team. So it's more likely to be the opposite scenario for the Canucks, where Tanev is traded for a pick plus an add. Although they are probably better off targeting a solid young player, as opposed to a draft pick, assuming their goal is to get one single piece to help them in the future.
Carolina, EDM, Montreal, NYI, all these teams have high picks and can be competitive next season so trading Tanev and Baer to them isn’t unreasonable.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
How was the Hamonic trade again?
What does post trade have to do with it....unless you think Hamilton and Seguin are still worth only what they were traded for? The point is, Hamonic was an established top 4D with reletively the same term/cap hit as Tanev, so comparable.

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
What does post trade have to do with it....unless you think Hamilton and Seguin are still worth only what they were traded for? The point is, Hamonic was an established top 4D with reletively the same term/cap hit as Tanev, so comparable.

I mean, I want to know what was given in return, so that I can properly gauge Tanev's value.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Carolina, EDM, Montreal, NYI, all these teams have high picks and can be competitive next season so trading Tanev and Baer to them isn’t unreasonable.

Tanev is not the key to Montreal's success. Carolina has no need for a player like Baertschi. I don't see Edmonton doing it either. The issue is that Baertschi just isn't that enticing. He won't want to make a team split up the value of their high end pick, particularly, when the prospects available in the top 8 all look pretty solid. Montreal and Carolina both have top 3 picks. They are likely to get near NHL ready players, who will be able to contribute key roles in their organizations for a decade+. Montreal,in particular, needs that high end piece. There'd be a riot if Montreal traded a top 3 pick for Baertschi and Tanev.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad