Chris Summers

kostitsyn1489

Jun 18, 2006
Louiseville, Quebec
I've Pheonix Coyotes in a Hockey(I'M sooo lucky) and I was looking to sign some prospect. I saw his name and I was high on him last year before the draft but he has a 6.0B! That's very low for a 1st rounder!

What happened to him to be that low? He was ranked high and he looks like having some good upside and he's 10th on the prospect list of one of the worst team in the league.

So.. Is he going to bust like pretty much everything Coyotes touch since 2000?

BuddehJuS

Nov 25, 2006
He won't be ready for quite a few years, you want to take a yotes prospect that isn't Mueller or what? I'm lost. Keith Yandle, Kevin Porter,Blake Wheeler and Martin Hanzal come to mind as consolation prizes. Also, Jeff, our staff writer is a very objective writer and doesn't exaggerate PHX's prospects as I've seen for some of the other teams. :) What makes Summer's so intriguing is the fact that he is an effortless skater and since the new NHL is all about speed, if he can put it all together we may have a diamond in the rough.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I've Pheonix Coyotes in a Hockey(I'M sooo lucky) and I was looking to sign some prospect. I saw his name and I was high on him last year before the draft but he has a 6.0B! That's very low for a 1st rounder!

Becuase an HF # means everything, right?

What happened to him to be that low? He was ranked high and he looks like having some good upside and he's 10th on the prospect list of one of the worst team in the league.

He is a project. This was his first year in college. And they haven't even settled on what position he is going to play. He has elite level skating ability, and has played well enough since they switched him to forward. I'm not concerned at all about him. The Coyotes will also be moving up the organization rankings (not that they mean anything to me personally) and have one of, if not the, deepest prospect pools of young defense men.

So.. Is he going to bust like pretty much everything Coyotes touch since 2000?

From 2003 on there haven't been any "busts" so to speak. At least not Smith style busts. The Coyotes are just now starting to fill things back up after years and years of ****** drafting because they had no formal scouting department.

kostitsyn1489

Jun 18, 2006
Louiseville, Quebec
Well I was looking for some guys to sign and I saw his name. I knew he was good, but he was 10th so i was intrigued. I already signed Mueller and Yandle. I was looking to sign 1 defencemen and 1 forward since I'm stacked at forward especially position in the farm. I'll wait next year to sign him i guess maybe his rating will go up a bit. I'll sign Wheeler and Hanzal i guess.

Gotta love rebuilding to pick this team... Wow...

And yeah Summers looks pretty good I'm just shocked he has a low rating. Anyway thanks for the infos!

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Go on X, tell him how you feel, don't hold back! lol:biglaugh:

I'll admit, the Coyotes for the longest time were really bad drafters. But lately they've had tremendous success, and snagging guys like Ferriero and Yandle in the off-rounds gives me hope that they are doing proper homework on guys outside the top 30 or so. Mueller is probably the only Coyote prospect that gets respect around here.

BuddehJuS

Nov 25, 2006
Well I was looking for some guys to sign and I saw his name. I knew he was good, but he was 10th so i was intrigued. I already signed Mueller and Yandle. I was looking to sign 1 defencemen and 1 forward since I'm stacked at forward especially position in the farm. I'll wait next year to sign him i guess maybe his rating will go up a bit. I'll sign Wheeler and Hanzal i guess.

Gotta love rebuilding to pick this team... Wow...

And yeah Summers looks pretty good I'm just shocked he has a low ranking. Anyway thanks for the infos!

I don't know how your league works but Stephenson is a solid defensive d-man prospect, he won't put up alot of points but he is always good for a solid +/-.

Hockey News ranked the yotes with 4 prospects out of their top 50 list, most of any NHL team, good stuff! :)

BuddehJuS

Nov 25, 2006
I'll admit, the Coyotes for the longest time were really bad drafters. But lately they've had tremendous success, and snagging guys like Ferriero and Yandle in the off-rounds gives me hope that they are doing proper homework on guys outside the top 30 or so. Mueller is probably the only Coyote prospect that gets respect around here.

Koreis..... ack!

kostitsyn1489

Jun 18, 2006
Louiseville, Quebec
Becuase an HF # means everything, right?

In this league, for prospect, Yes. A 6.0B will get lower attribute then a 7.0 B.

Anyway if I would talk about this league I would go on fantasy talks.

I was high on the guy and his rank shocked me so I asked people who knows him better then I do.

kostitsyn1489

Jun 18, 2006
Louiseville, Quebec
Yeah drafting is better now with guys like Ballard, Michalek, Sjonstrom and Leneveu. It's surely improving but Yotes are one of the worst team on paper and their prospects arent great. At least not yet.

Stephenson... Well I traded the guy just before posting here! :D I've got Brent Burns in the deal.

BuddehJuS

Nov 25, 2006
Yeah drafting is better now with guys like Ballard, Michalek, Sjonstrom and Leneveu. It's surely improving but Yotes are one of the worst team on paper and their prospects arent great. At least not yet.

Stephenson... Well I traded the guy just before posting here! :D I've got Brent Burns in the deal.

A prospect is based on potential and following this year's draft, you can expect the yotes to move up quite considerably in HF's rankings. Plus, we've got 3 picks in the 08 draft which is supposed to be incredibly deep.

P.S. Ballard and Michalek weren't drafted by the yotes!

kostitsyn1489

Jun 18, 2006
Louiseville, Quebec
Ballard I knew, but Michalek, no. Wilds signed him and they let him go too quick.

Anyway when you got them they were young. I know a guy who knows him pretty well. He works for Shawinigan Cataractes where Zbynek played his junior hockey. They used to go out for a beer and play pool after some games.

You should get a good pick again this year it'll help no doubt!

SpaceGhost79

Mar 8, 2002
I'd like to see Summers stay at forward, but with Michigan losing four defensemen this year (and possibly five if Mitera leaves), he'll probably be moved back to the blueline next fall. He was solid but unspectacular on defense and didn't have much of an offensive game. But he played great alongside Cogliano and Kolarik over the last 10 games as a forward and really brought a physical edge the other two lack and also popped in some big goals. I like his potential more as a forward than defenseman.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
He's an interesting player, because he skates so well, is very physical and seems like a great character guy, but doesn't seem to have the elite hands of offensive instincts to make him a truly elite prospect. It may take him a while to get to the NHL, but comparison's to the like of Dandenault and Schubert are probably pretty decent, although Summers might have a bit more potential in him. But both of those guys are extremely valuable commodities.

Overall though, I think he is an extremely safe bet to play in the NHL.

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002
Summers is 11th because he's quite a bit further away from the NHL than the others above him who have equal or better upside. Mueller, Kaigorodov, Jones, Yandle, Hanzal, Lisin, LeNeveu, Thomas are all ready and Wheeler / Porter close behind. Phoenix are particularly deep on defense so it could be a few years for Summers (if Michigan converts him back).

If your league depends on HF ratings to rate prospects, that's not great news for you. Phoenix has a lot of depth but Mueller apart, no highly rated talents. Probably better off waiting till next season and see how many of the above make the NHL and become better known. There are guys not even on that top 20 who are potential NHLers (Carcillo, Ahnelov, Ferriero, Cormier).

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
He's an interesting player, because he skates so well, is very physical and seems like a great character guy, but doesn't seem to have the elite hands of offensive instincts to make him a truly elite prospect. It may take him a while to get to the NHL, but comparison's to the like of Dandenault and Schubert are probably pretty decent, although Summers might have a bit more potential in him. But both of those guys are extremely valuable commodities.

Overall though, I think he is an extremely safe bet to play in the NHL.

A much nastier Schubert would be a good outlook for him. Frankly, I don't think that Summers has shown as much of the bite he had in the past this year, but I chalk that up to him being a new guy in the league.

As a lot of you guys know, he's one of my favorite prospects out there (for the US, anyway). I think he's seriously underrated and can turn out to be a great guy in the future as a 2nd pairing d-man or as a great 3rd line character guy.

He's the kind of guy teams that win championships have.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad