Chris Stewart

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
only thing that could keep his price down is the lack of cap room on a lot of teams.

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
I personally miss Stoners banks of the boards to the neutral zone to nobody. Never got tired of seeing that.

Didn't Stewart express... disinterest in playing for the Sabres? Seems like he ultimately wants to be on a winner, which would eliminate 1/2 the league in theory. Then you have to take into considerations the amount of cap each team will have, I don't think he's going to get paid as much as "you" think he will.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
I personally miss Stoners banks of the boards to the neutral zone to nobody. Never got tired of seeing that.

Didn't Stewart express... disinterest in playing for the Sabres? Seems like he ultimately wants to be on a winner, which would eliminate 1/2 the league in theory. Then you have to take into considerations the amount of cap each team will have, I don't think he's going to get paid as much as "you" think he will.

Russo has pretty much quoted of him of saying he has a lot of animosity for STL trading him.

tomgilbertfan

#WhyBother
Jun 22, 2008
Minnesota
Wild's Stewart relies on family, tough childhood as his backbone

Raised in a tough section of Toronto, Stewart’s family lost its home and for two years lived in a seedy motel frequented by drug addicts and prostitutes. The motel doubled as a government shelter for families in need.

Stewart, his parents, older brother Anthony and five younger sisters crammed into several tiny rooms. The two boys and three of their sisters shared one room.

“The boys got the bed,” Chris said.

He chuckles at the memory. Sure, his childhood was hard but he wouldn’t change anything because of the foundation it provided him.

“Looking back on it, I wouldn’t change it for the world,” he said. “It brought me and my family together. My sisters are my backbone. Everything I do is for them. You see where we are today, it’s made me appreciate everything.”

Cricket was his sport of choice. He knew nothing of hockey. He immediately fell in love with the game watching the Canadiens collect Stanley Cup championships in the 1970s.

“He loves Jacques [Lemaire],” said Chris, referring to his dad’s favorite player, the former Wild coach. “Loves the trap, loves the left wing lock.”

Hockey became the boys’ lifeline in a tough environment. Close friends chose a different path. Some went to jail. The Stewart boys chose hockey after making a promise to their mom.

“That was our ticket out,” Anthony said. “People say hockey is life. It actually was our life because we didn’t have pretty much anything else to do.”

Stewart offers nothing disparaging about his previous teams, but he describes his new home as “refreshing.” The organization loves Stewart’s contributions on the ice and the way he’s clicked with his new teammates.

Great article, definitely give it a read, tons of stuff in there I didn't quote.

Bookman

Feb 27, 2002
frozen north
Visit site
Well, his lackluster play of late, plus this injury - not looking like a keeper at this point.

Didn't really help himself in the UFA market either. Most of the criticisms leveled at him by Blues fans have yet to be dispelled.

Vashanesh

Nope.
Jan 29, 2010
Minnesota
I'd keep him around if he's cheap (sub 3 mil?) and no more than 2 years, preferably 1.

It's not like Nino or Zucker have shown that they're ready to steal and - most importantly - keep a spot in the top-6.

DeuceMN

Really?
Oct 1, 2011
Chi-Town, Il
Looks like the damned Avs fans were more right than I would like to admit.

When he disappears, he really does.

It's sad too, because you can still see all the potential is there.

hipchecks

#MakeStaalGreatAgain
Mar 3, 2015
Minnesota
Stewart was just as effective when he was out with injury last game as he's been all series long. He made a couple nice plays against the Blues, but other than that, he's been nonexistent. Hasn't been real physical either.

If Fletcher was on the fence about resigning him, by now I would think he knows his answer. At this point, I'd be surprised if he was brought back.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
Yep, I'll eat my foot on this one. Don't want him on this team if he's not going to do anything but hold up a roster spot from someone else.

Vashanesh

Nope.
Jan 29, 2010
Minnesota
Yep, I'll eat my foot on this one. Don't want him on this team if he's not going to do anything but hold up a roster spot from someone else.

Like who, though?

Zucker hasn't shown he can stay healthy. Nino hasn't shown an ounce of consistency. It's unlikely any of the prospects will be ready next year.

Are you guys looking at another option in free agency? Unless we're looking at a big shakeup trade, I don't see much else out there.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Like who, though?

Zucker hasn't shown he can stay healthy. Nino hasn't shown an ounce of consistency. It's unlikely any of the prospects will be ready next year.

Are you guys looking at another option in free agency? Unless we're looking at a big shakeup trade, I don't see much else out there.

It's more about locking up a spot for the next 3 or 4 years, or whatever the length would be. Next year isn't an issue. But even next year, I'd rather see Fontaine instead of him.

Vashanesh

Nope.
Jan 29, 2010
Minnesota
It's more about locking up a spot for the next 3 or 4 years, or whatever the length would be. Next year isn't an issue. But even next year, I'd rather see Fontaine instead of him.

Fontaine has been way overmatched in a top-6 roll.

Unless a big trade happens, or a similar free agent option is pursued, I say we try to get him a 1-year deal for who-the-hell-cares money, or a no more than 2 year for anything under 3 million.

He was obviously not that impressive in the playoffs, but half of the forwards on this team could say the same thing...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad