Proposal: Chris Stewart to NYR

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Maybe something around JT Miller. Maybe something around a 2015 second.

I'd like a first rounder but I don't think it's very likely. Only way that happens is if he turns a big corner with Buffalo next year and puts up 25 goals by the deadline. He has a poor reputation for work ethic and isn't the kind of gutsy player teams want for a playoff run.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013

I'd like a first rounder but I don't think it's very likely. Only way that happens is if he turns a big corner with Buffalo next year and puts up 25 goals by the deadline. He has a poor reputation for work ethic and isn't the kind of gutsy player teams want for a playoff run.
Is that JT Miller? I'm basing it off his size, being a winger and being NHL ready; they would have to give up more like a 2015 second since we are getting rid of a big top 6 guy. Miller could fit more into a 3rd 4th line role since his defensive game is good; its his offensive game that has shown to be not that strong but I always thought building from the back out is the best possible way to build a team while drafting early when doing it. If Miller has a questionable character maybe he just needs a stronger coach to instil a stronger work ethic.

Say...

JT Miller + 2015 second, 2015 third

or

JT Miller + 2014 second, 2015 second

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY

2015 2nd? No thanks. JT Miller would have to be involved.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Is that JT Miller? I'm basing it off his size, being a winger and being NHL ready; they would have to give up more like a 2015 second since we are getting rid of a big top 6 guy. Miller could fit more into a 3rd 4th line role since his defensive game is good; its offensive game that lacks. I always thought building from the back out is the best possible way to build a team while drafting early when doing it. If Miller has a questionable character maybe he just needs a stronger coach to instil a stronger work ethic.

No, I'm talking about Stewart.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
JT Miller fits Murray's "heavy players" outlook. I'm not sure there are too many young guys that are very interesting to us. Maybe before the season he had management would've been willing to move on from Hagelin but that's not happening now. Kreider is obviously way out of the league of this deal. The Rangers' lack of 1sts is a problem because 2nd's don't do much for us at this point, with the overload of picks in the first 2 rounds we've had and still have. In other words, the deal won't get done just on picks.

On the backend, I like Skjel, don't like McIlrath. Up front I like Miller. I'm not sure what kind of value Stewart has, but if the deal involves one of those two, then I'm interested.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
2015 2nd? No thanks. JT Miller would have to be involved.

Personally, I'm anticipating another nice 35 point season from Stewart without really demonstrating a 200 foot game, followed by a walk to free agency. Maybe he didn't get as much opportunity as he could've in St. Louis, but he also played for a much, much better offense. I'll gladly take the 2015 second now.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Too high. Marian Gaborik returned less at the deadline.
Gaborik also has battled injuries pretty much his entire NHL career and is already past 30 compared to a big physical young forward that has top 6 potential and is coming into his prime years at 26 years old. Rangers need size in the top 6. Also deadline deals are considered rentals and usually return less.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
I'm going to chime in here, if that's alright...

Rangers aren't really looking to trade for wing help, as far as I can tell. After buying out Richards, it opens up a huge hole at 2C for the team that most think we'll be making a big push to fix. A guy like Joe Thornton, Ryan O'Reilly, or Stastny if he hits the market. Maybe even Spezza. I think you'll hear the Rangers' name mixed in on all of those guys at one point or another.

On that topic, while Stewart's size on the wing is an attractive potential add to our third line that already features Brassard and Zuccarello, despite it being a one year deal, his cap hit would be one we'd have a tough time fitting in if we do upgrade at center.

On that note, you'd probably have to eat salary in any trade. Also, most Rangers fans would tell you that JT Miller by himself is too much to pay for Stewart. I'd disagree with that, but I dislike JT Miller as a hockey player.

JT Miller, and another B-level prospect, or third rounder for Stewart (30% salary retained by Buffalo) would be an interesting offer to me.

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
Personally, I'm anticipating another nice 35 point season from Stewart without really demonstrating a 200 foot game, followed by a walk to free agency. Maybe he didn't get as much opportunity as he could've in St. Louis, but he also played for a much, much better offense. I'll gladly take the 2015 second now.

I don't see him suddenly developing a 200 ft game because that's never really been a part of his game. I do think if he stays healthy and develops some chemistry with his linemates he could pot 20 goals with us. I'd rather see if he can jack his value up a bit than trade him for what is likely to be a late 2nd without even seeing what we got in Stewart.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I actually excited to see Stewart healthy, with a clean slate, with topish offensive minutes, and in a contract year.

No interest in trading him until the deadline... potential to be more interested in re-signing him depending on how the season goes.

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
I actually excited to see Stewart healthy, with a clean slate, with topish offensive minutes, and in a contract year.

No interest in trading him until the deadline... potential to be more interested in re-signing him depending on how the season goes.

Agreed. We have next to nothing in our top 6 as it stands now. He's still just 26 and has 30 goal potential.

ZeroPT*

As the other two have saidI'd like to see what Stewart can do before shipping him off.

If he finds his scoring touch the Miller deal gets that much better

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
The only reason to move him before the deadline would be to acquire a bigger fish pending UFA from a team that covets him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad