Proposal: Chris Stewart to Boston

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
I'd take a first for him, he won't get that much at the deadline unless he has a really good year. A couple good preseason games doesn't change what he is

Change what he is? He's a 27 year old big strong winger who will put in 25 goals a season. He's a legit top 6 winger and is a good player. I'd rather re-sign him to a 5/22.5 type deal or if we can't re-sign him then trade him for a 1st+. I think he will be one of our top 3 goal scorers at the end competing with Matt Moulson, Ennis and Hodgson. Those 4 will probably be the only 20 goal scorers we have this year.

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
Trade him...he only seems to show up in contract years and his style of play has lead to him never playing a full season. Trade him for a first if you can get it and use the first to acquire someone else like a Patrick Sharp at the 2015 draft.

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
Trade him...he only seems to show up in contract years and his style of play has lead to him never playing a full season. Trade him for a first if you can get it and use the first to acquire someone else like a Patrick Sharp at the 2015 draft.

But isn't that essentially dealing a soon to be 28 year old goal scoring winger for a soon to be 33 year old goal scoring winger?

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Change what he is? He's a 27 year old big strong winger who will put in 25 goals a season. He's a legit top 6 winger and is a good player. I'd rather re-sign him to a 5/22.5 type deal or if we can't re-sign him then trade him for a 1st+. I think he will be one of our top 3 goal scorers at the end competing with Matt Moulson, Ennis and Hodgson. Those 4 will probably be the only 20 goal scorers we have this year.

The last time he hit 20 goals Chris Drury did the same... He also was pretty unwanted by his last team, especially the fans, claiming work ethic issues.

Could he turn it around? Absolutely. But lets not pretend he's a lock to be a 20 goal scorer by any means. Even if he puts up good numbers, I'd still be weary of a player having one standout season in his contract year.

Last edited:

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
Dont like the available picks, dont really have much interest in boston's prospect pool, not a huge fan of Chris Stewart

hope he gets dealt, hope we can do better then a likely Bos offer

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
The last time he hit 20 goals Chris Drury did the same... He also was pretty unwanted by his last team, especially the fans, claiming work ethic issues.

Could he turn it around? Absolutely. But lets not pretend he's a lock to be a 20 goal scorer by any means. Even if he puts up good numbers, I'd still be weary of a player having one standout season in his contract year.

I agree with the point you're making but in fairness you should point out that he scored 18 goals in the 48 game lockout-shortened season. Not counting that as a 20 goal season seems like a disingenuous use of a technicality. You're also wrong, Drury last scored 20 in '08-'09. Stewart scored 28 in both '09-'10 and '10-'11.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

Actually analyse his numbers.....

08/09. 53 11
09/10 77 28
10/11. 62. 28. ...prorated to about 35+g over 82 games
11/12. 79. 15
12/13. 48. 18. Prorated to 30 goals over 82 games
13/14. 58 15. Prorated to 20+ goal season

11/12 was his bad season....

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
But isn't that essentially dealing a soon to be 28 year old goal scoring winger for a soon to be 33 year old goal scoring winger?

If they can't resign Stewart I have no issue getting Sharp.

Buffalo needs to get to the cap floor in 15/16. Buffalo projects to have 2 forward spots, 1 Defense slot, and a starting goalie slot. Among these slots they likely will need to spend about $10M to get to the cap floor. So getting Sharp at $5.9M will help getting to the floor.

Wisent42

Jan 9, 2012
Södertälje
If Boston wants him it would be for a conditional first round pick. The condition being that they sign Ville Leino. That should guarantee that it's an early pick.

But on a more serious note, I think I want to hang on to Stewart. At some point we have to stop trading for picks and prospects and actually build. If Stewart keeps going like he has in a very small showcase, he's a kind of player I want going forward. Besides, we're in no position to trade him now anyways because we're too close to the cap floor.

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN

To an extent, Sharp is the more consistent and better overall player. If your looking to compete for the playoffs over the next 2-4 years Sharp is the Cup winning veteran I would love to have and with Chicago's cap issues, a first/second pick should at least get Chicago to listen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad