Chris Phillips

Status
Not open for further replies.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I would argue that Karlsson made as many if not more mistakes defensively in the first 30 games or so that cost Ottawa goals against more so than Phillips has all yr. Cowen & Wiercioch make a lot of mistakes in every game I watch them & Gryba to a lesser extent. Phillips makes mistakes, all defencemen do, at his age he needs to play bottom six minutes to be effective & he certainly should not be paired with Karlsson who gives the puck away too often which Phillips is unable to defend against alone back there. While I think this is Phillips last contract, I think on this team, right now, he is as capable as any of the younger defencemen, if not better at times.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I would argue that Karlsson made as many if not more mistakes defensively in the first 30 games or so that cost Ottawa goals against more so than Phillips has all yr. Cowen & Wiercioch make a lot of mistakes in every game I watch them & Gryba to a lesser extent. Phillips makes mistakes, all defencemen do, at his age he needs to play bottom six minutes to be effective & he certainly should not be paired with Karlsson who gives the puck away too often which Phillips is unable to defend against alone back there. While I think this is Phillips last contract, I think on this team, right now, he is as capable as any of the younger defencemen, if not better at times.
Yeah there's argument to be made that he has been better than gryba and wiercioch. But it's a lost season, there's more value to be gained by playing the kids right now than Chris Phillips.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
I dont understand why there's so much debate around phillips. He played bad when given a top 4 role. He's very prone to some bone head giveaway which is terrible for someone who's suppose to be a safe player.

I'd like to think Phillips can be successful. in a 6-7 role but for the most part it seemed like a lot of people saw phillips have a big drop off last year and imo it was safe to say hed be a marginal player on this team this year. Theres probably not much benefit to keeping phillips besides leadership and keeping fans happy.

Also imo vets are much less valuable when the younger players are better then them on the ice.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I dont understand why there's so much debate around phillips. He played bad when given a top 4 role. He's very prone to some bone head giveaway which is terrible for someone who's suppose to be a safe player.

I'd like to think Phillips can be successful. in a 6-7 role but for the most part it seemed like a lot of people saw phillips have a big drop off last year and imo it was safe to say hed be a marginal player on this team this year. Theres probably not much benefit to keeping phillips besides leadership and keeping fans happy.

Based on opinions around here, you're not gaining any ground on that front by keeping him around. For the most part, there are three groups: People who want him gone at any cost, people that are happy with him in a 6-7 roles but wouldn't mind if we traded him for a decent return, and a small fraction that would be upset if he left.

Anyhow, he'll retire after this contract. If he stays, hopefully, it will be playing in the 6-7 role that he has since Methot's return, rotating in and out with our other young D, and not be thrust into a top 4 role that he clearly is no longer suitable for.

Senateurs

Let's win it all
Feb 28, 2007

Also imo vets are much less valuable when the younger players are better then them on the ice.

I don't always agree with you but here you are spot on.

chipsens

Post and in...
Jan 9, 2013
Phillips leaving ASAP is a win-win. I hope some contender makes an offer (then it's Wideman time)

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Phillips leaving ASAP is a win-win. I hope some contender makes an offer (then it's Wideman time)

Wideman would need for Gryba to be on the move, not Phillips.

Right now, our Depth chart is this:

Methot - Karlsson
Cowen - Ceci
Boro/Phillips/Wiercioch - Gryba

AHL and other dev leagues
Claessen - Wideman
Wikstrand - idk
idk maybe Englund - idk

chipsens

Post and in...
Jan 9, 2013
Wideman would need for Gryba to be on the move, not Phillips.

Right now, our Depth chart is this:

Methot - Karlsson
Cowen - Ceci
Boro/Phillips/Wiercioch - Gryba

AHL and other dev leagues
Claessen - Wideman
Wikstrand - idk
idk maybe Englund - idk

Yah, I meant that perhaps we could bring up Wideman for a few games...as a reward, and to see how he performs against NHLers. Since playoffs are not at stake.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
It's also very dependent on zone starts, the goalie, and your regular partner and line you play with. Pointing to one stat where he's not last on the team or among lastin the league, and one that is lacking given the small amount of data compared to other stats, isn't enough to negate that stats where he is last or close to.

Please find me those stats. The most important stat for a D-man (except for players like Karlsson who are offensive dynamos) is to prevent goals against and he has been doing a better job at it than 5 of his teammates (total 7)

http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/rat...=50&teamid=21&type=goals&sort=A60&sortdir=ASC

Now maybe it's all luck, maybe he is heavily sheltered compared to others (don't believe it's the case last time I checked) but over a full season, it means something. Again not saying he is still a quality top-4 D-man, but more to negate the statement that he is not a NHL player anymore... Yes, he is close to retirement but showed he is still capable in a reduced role.

So because he's not dead last across the board, he's still an NHL calibre player? Because he's still in the NHL, he must still be a capable NHLer? Flawless logic right there :shakehead By your logic, Colton Orr and Frazer McLaren should still be playing in the NHL.

Should also be noted Phillips' numbers got dragged up some by playing with Karlsson. Look at Phillips' with and without on that one.

I'm saying players playing in the NHL more than 1 or 2 games are NHL players, so if Phillips was really "not NHL material", I'd expect him to be about last in all defensive categories. I'm waiting, you only provided Corsi lol

Well, given that on a contender he'd be getting spot work and 12 minutes a night at best, maybe ya. Still probably wouldn't change that his possession numbers are not good, as things like quality of competition generally show that regardless of the players one plays against or ice time, good possession players drive possession regardless. Now, I'm not saying Chris Phillips should be generating a ton of shots, but shouldn't the defensive defenceman not be giving opponents a shooting gallery on his goalie whenever he's on the ice? Shouldn't he be able to effectively retrieve the puck, get it out of his own end, and limit shots against? There's also probably a few contenders whose top 6 he wouldn't even crack.

Phillips is not a good possession player anymore (and that never was really his game to begin with) but so what? All D-men have to be Karlsson or bust? Why do you think all NHL teams have different type of D-men in their line-up?

I'll keep my answers short because it's now at the point of repeating but Micklebot probably said it best. Phillips should have the luxury to play a Luke Richardson's role to end his career.

As for this fanbase and its feelings towards Phillips, there's nobody that questions his dedication to the city and the team, and nobody who doesn't respect everything he's done on and off the ice throughout his career. The problem is now that his play has deteriorated so much, it's painful to watch. Combine this with the team being nowhere close to contending or even consistently making the playoffs, and the idea of getting something for a depreciating asset is understandable. And frankly, if Alfie didn't play his entire career here, I think we can live with guys like Phillips and Neil doing the same.

I'd have no problem see Phillips traded, assuming that's what he wants and we'd get something of decent value. If it's for a 6th round pick, might as well keep him and let him finish his career here.

And when you talk about respect and Phillips, I have read a lot of disrespectful crap on him over the last 2 years, it's astounding and makes this fanbase pathetic IMO. Why don't they let a career Sens decline "in peace"? It's very natural for a hockey player to decline...

The fact that he's here or not wouldn't change much. The team wouldn't be a contender or even making the playoffs. That's freaking silly to think the opposite. Ex NHL players and coaches always repeat the same things : "you win with your best players". But here, people persist non-stop on Phillips and Neil, the guys (with Alfie) that have bled the most for this franchise :laugh:

Sorry if I find this utterly stupid.

And even if Methot does re-sign, that money could still be used on this barely a floor team to acquire someone more capable on the ice to add even more depth, as right now the Sens only have 2 defencemen who play like top 4s: Karlsson and Methot. Ceci shows potential, but he's young and still has his hiccups. Cowen, he's gotten better this year, but has yet to play like a legit top 4. And how do you know that Phillips' contract taking up some space plays no role in money available for Methot or others? Do you know exactly what the team's internal budget is? If so, please enlighten us all

IMO, Ceci and even Cowen are not that far of top-4 quality, but they need a lot more experience.

Anyway, looks like Methot got re-signed despite Phillips so you can scratch this argument off your list, sorry.

Wow. Just wow. Aiming for just making it into the playoffs, even if barely, is alright? As opposed to actually admitting that this team is young and there's no certainty? And it's not just about the team saying they were going to be competitive, as most teams do, it's that they kept saying it while doing nothing to address the team's biggest weakness from the previous season: the defence. Sure, a system where the forwards help out more would be great, but that defence was and still is seriously lacking. The only permanent change was Borowiecki coming up full time, which had been decided a year prior when they gave him a 1-way on the second year of the contract extension. And then they proceeded to sign him for 3 more years before he'd even proven he could be an everyday NHLer. Now, I think he's shown he can be a capable #6, but if that's the only real change to a defence that played as poorly as the Sens' did in 2013-14, along with simply hoping Cowen would rebound, again, and that a then 20 year old Ceci would be a top 4 despite underlying numbers showing he struggled a bit after his start with the Sens, then that really is laughable.

Ah le wow just wow! lol find it so funny

Do you need someone to hold your hand when crossing the street?

To me it's the same thing... I don't need anybody to tell me that this "team is young and there's no certainty"

Go it?

I'll leave it at that because frankly, I don't think I have to add anything... Micklebot did the rest anyway

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
But but but but without the two million dollars Phillips is being paid, the Sens could sign that magical top 4 defenseman or top 6 forward the team so desperately needs.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Yip, you could use that 2M to over pay for Sekera.

If Sekera wanted to come here. If someone else wasn't willing to grossly overpay, which tends to happen with UFA defensemen.

Its never as simple as cut this guy, get that guy.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Yeah there's argument to be made that he has been better than gryba and wiercioch. But it's a lost season, there's more value to be gained by playing the kids right now than Chris Phillips.

While I certainly understand playing the young guys since the season is lost anyway I could make an argument that Phillips has been better than Cowen this yr as well. Cowen is still young, I'm not sure how much longer we will be using that excuse, but he makes a lot of bone head plays. Again last night instead of taking the puck around the back of the net he turns right into a player standing beside him, twice, he seems to do that a lot for some reason. And he gives the puck away as often as Phillips does. I still have hope for him but for a big guy he plays rather soft & makes his share of mistakes. I wish & I bet the organization wishes he would play a lot more physical, more like Boroweicki. Same applies for Gryba.

Samboni

Jan 26, 2014
I find it very strange that there is very little being said about Philips' injury or speculation when he might be back. Maybe Chris had figured out that the team is better without him.

Sam

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I find it very strange that there is very little being said about Philips' injury or speculation when he might be back. Maybe Chris had figured out that the team is better without him.

Sam

Dude, we just heard this like 2 days ago:

It's a chronic back thing. I think our fanbase knows better than most that back injuries are unpredictable and frustrating. It's not like a broken bone where there's a set timeline for a return.

It's not a "mysterious phantom injury to keep him out of the lineup because he sucks now" thing.

Karlsson2Turris*

Disappointing to see such a solid career ending this way

Whether he plays or not this year, he's done as an NHLer anyway. Should retire before he tarnishes his legacy.

Courty

Apr 13, 2007
I wonder if his back prblem will make him lean towards an early retirement.

Oh please god. Retirement needs to happen... he's got to know the time has come. Let's throw him a home game ceremony, the media will cover it, Alfie and Redden will make special guest appearances in support of their long term friend and team mate, all Sens fans will respectfully rejoice and the team will finally move forward. Phillips, is this too much to ask for?!

I would hate to see any more seasons go by tainting my fading memory of the good in Chris Phillips career as a Senator. I've always respected him and his contributions to this organization greatly, but now I can't stand his presence on the ice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad