Chris Osgood HHOF?

WHA Euro

Sep 20, 2007
Finland
He is now in my Hockey Cards Hall Of Fame, but can he make in the real Hockey Hall Of Fame? I say no.

NHL Second All-Star Team (1996)
William M. Jennings Trophy (1996) (shared with Mike Vernon)
Played in NHL All-Star Game (1996, 1997, 1998)
Stanley Cup (1997, 1998)

349 wins (+ 45 in the playoffs)
44 shutouts (+ 10 in the playoffs)
Save percentage: 90.7 (91.0 in the playpoffs)
GAA: 2.43 (2.24 in the playoffs)
Scored a goal vs. Hartford, March 6, 1996

Ogopogo*

He is now in my Hockey Cards Hall Of Fame, but can he make in the real Hockey Hall Of Fame? I say no.

NHL Second All-Star Team (1996)
William M. Jennings Trophy (1996) (shared with Mike Vernon)
Played in NHL All-Star Game (1996, 1997, 1998)
Stanley Cup (1997, 1998)

349 wins (+ 45 in the playoffs)
44 shutouts (+ 10 in the playoffs)
Save percentage: 90.7 (91.0 in the playpoffs)
GAA: 2.43 (2.24 in the playoffs)
Scored a goal vs. Hartford, March 6, 1996

Even the suggestion tells me that you have spent a loooong Sunday in front of the fire sipping your libation of choice.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
This is a guy that allowed an overtime goal during the playoffs from centre ice. In other words if you put Felix Potvin in Detroit for those two Cup years the result is the same. Osgood did not elevate his teams to better heights.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
It's not exactly the same thing, but anyways....

Rollie Melanson vs. Chris Osgood. Both are much closer than we beleive.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
While I don't think Osgood is anywhere close to a HOFer, I think he's getting unfairly punished for playing for a great Detroit team. He wasn't just a mediocre goalie that was in the right place at the right time, he had a pretty decent run. I don't think he's very far away from Mike Richter, who's name I've seen bandied about for HOF consideration (not that I'd induct Richter either).

Slapshooter

Apr 25, 2007
Barasso and Osgood will never make it. They will be remembered as goalies who just did their job in talent packed, almost dynasty like, teams. Pittsburgh in 91+92 and Detroit in 97(was actually with Vernon)+98 did not win their cups because of phenomenal goaltending.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
I think Osgood has been the most underated and unfairly criticized goalie I have seen since I have watched hockey. That being said, Hall of fame no. Although he will probably be the most accomplished goalie not to make it (since I have been able to intelligently watch hockey...early 90's). Unless maybe cujo.

Didnt broduer let in a goal from basically the red line vs Anaheim?

MM425

Aug 14, 2005
Pure Hypothetical here:

Lets say Hasek gets hurt for the rest of the season and Osgood takes the reigns. Assume he continues to play lights out... makes the All Star Game and wins the Vezina and Jennings trophies (not entirely impossible). Then lets say Detriot goes into the playoffs with Osgood and wins the Stanley Cup.

That would leave Osgood with 3 cups (1 as a backup, 2 as a starter), 4 All Star appearences, 1 Vezina, and 2 Jennings Trophies to go along with pretty darn good career stats. Would he be worth a look at the HOF then?

As of now I don't think Osgood is a HOF goalie. He's a good goalie had the benefit of playing for great Detriot teams. Then again, Grant Fuhr had the benefit of playing for powerhouse Oilers teams... Osgood's name doesn't exactally scream HOF but I don't think it's as far-fetched as people may think especially if he has another good year or two.

WHA Euro

Sep 20, 2007
Finland
That would leave Osgood with 3 cups (1 as a backup, 2 as a starter), 4 All Star appearences, 1 Vezina, and 2 Jennings Trophies to go along with pretty darn good career stats. Would he be worth a look at the HOF then?

+ Second all star selection (+ probably first all star selection)

Yes!

Osgood's name doesn't exactally scream HOF but I think it's as far-fetched as people may think especially if he has another good year or two.

Agree.

SML

Mar 13, 2002
Visit site
Osgood is already #16 all time in wins. He's 35 in an age when quality goaltenders play into their 40's, and he's on a GOOD team. He's 13-1-1 this season. When it's all said and done he could easily be in the top 5 all time for wins. He's got multiple cup rings... How does he NOT get in at that point? He reminds me, career wise, of Larry Murphy. Never gets any credit, never any real publicity, but when the whole thing is over the guy has 1200 career points as a defenseman. Osgood's team could win the cup every year and the last player to get any credit would be Osgood. If he doesn't get in, he'll have put together the best career of any goalie not in the Hall of Fame.

The Fuhr*

This is interesting, looking at his career and accomplishments he could get in.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Think back to 1996. Was Osgood ever considered to be on Canada's World Cup team? No. Any Olympic team? No. He had one season where he garnered a 2nd team all-star and that was it. Unless you're Gerry Cheevers you need all-star selections to get in as a goalie. Cheevers also won two Cups and in 1972 probably would have been the starting goalie for Team Canada in the Summit Series. Osgood was in the right place at the right time basically because he hasnt elevated any other team to greatness. In '98 he may have performed the worst job by any goalie of a Cup winning team. Langenbrunner, Roenick and MacInnis all scored goals from outside the blueline on him in the playoffs. But he wasnt on the right team at the right time? Hmmm....

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
It's not like Osgood was bad when he left the powerful Red Wings. He led the Islanders to their first winning season in nearly a decade in 2001-02, finishing fifth in the East, and nearly making it to the second round of the playoffs. He was playing well for St. Louis in the 2003 playoffs before the entire team caught the flu and imploded, blowing a 3-1 lead to Vancouver, and his 2003-04 regular season in St. Louis was solid if I remember right.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Big Phil, I usually like your posts, but this one has got to be the most inaccurate ever. Osgood played so well in Dallas and Washington that he started getting Conn Smythe consideration from writers that blasted him for his play in Phoenix (he was also very good in St. Louis). This is why he finished second to Yzerman in Smythe voting (according to articles).

Read some articles that state that Osgood was every bit Kolzig's equal in the cup finals, and Kolzig was basically the unanimous pick for best goalie that playoffs, outplaying Hasek coming off his best season ever and maybe the best season of a goalie ever.

If your entire argument is that he let in 3 bad goals, then you gotta discount Vernon as well, he let in some stinkers as well.

Cup Winning Goalies SV%

2006-07 .922 .918 Jean-Sebastien Giguere
2005-06 .920 .882 Cam Ward (was the backup in regular season)
2003-04 .933 .910 Nikolai Khabibulin
2002-03 .934 .914 Martin Brodeur
2001-02 .920 .915 Dominik Hasek
2000-01 .934 .913 Patrick Roy
1999-00 .927 .910 Martin Brodeur
1998-09 .935 .915 Ed Belfour
1997-08 .925 .913 Chris Osgood
1996-07 .932 .899 Mike Vernon (only played 33 games in reg. season)
1997-06 .921 .908 Patrick Roy
1994-05 .932 .902 Martin Brodeur (strike shortened season)

He's not HHOF material (with what he's done so far) but hey, neither was Vernon, and he's considered a great goalie.
Osgood let in an awful OT winner against Dallas in Game 5 of the 1998 Western Conference Final, and allowed a couple more bad goals in Game 2 against Washington in 1998. Some said that Detroit won in spite of Osgood, not because of him. I have no idea how he finished second in Conn Smythe voting, unless Yzerman was a runaway choice, a unanimous selection, and voters decided to give de facto second place votes to the Cup-winning goalie.

I'll be honest: I can't think of a worse performance by a Cup-winning goalie than Chris Osgood in 1998.

No comparison between Osgood's work in 1998 and Barrasso in 1991 and 1992. Lemieux said after the 1992 playoffs that "he would share" the Conn Smythe with Barrasso.

I think Osgood's a good goaltender who's had a really good career. But outside of 1995-96 (likely the worst year for goaltenders in the last 15 years), he's never been a top five goalie in the league. He has bounced around the league, and he's had his struggles with consistency.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
It's not like Osgood was bad when he left the powerful Red Wings. He led the Islanders to their first winning season in nearly a decade in 2001-02, finishing fifth in the East, and nearly making it to the second round of the playoffs. He was playing well for St. Louis in the 2003 playoffs before the entire team caught the flu and imploded, blowing a 3-1 lead to Vancouver, and his 2003-04 regular season in St. Louis was solid if I remember right.

solid, nearly making to second round of playoff, play well before entire team collapsed.....

not kind of words to describe a HOF...:shakehead

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
solid, nearly making to second round of playoff, play well before entire team collapsed.....

not kind of words to describe a HOF...:shakehead

Definitely not, I said Osgood is nowhere near being a HOFer. I'm just pointing out that he was more than some pylon who benefitted from playing on a great team, which is what a lot of people tend to believe.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Not a chance in hell, really.

I think he's been top-5 in Vezina voting only once, and that pretty much kills him right there.

Only way he even has an outside chance is if he hits 500 wins, which is pretty unlikely - he'd have to average 30 wins/year for another 6 seasons.

Eagle20

Nov 2, 2006
Osgood is not a HOF...however people on the board doesnt give him his just due. Remember when he was on the ALL MIGHTY ISLANDERS. Where he still won over 30 games. Brought them to the playoffs, granted didnt get out of the first round...but they put up a good fight that year. So no hes not a HOF...but hes a lot better then what people say he is.

If he sucks so much and benefits from the greatness of his team...tell me this...why does Hasek suck this year playing behind the same team?

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Big Phil, I usually like your posts, but this one has got to be the most inaccurate ever. Osgood played so well in Dallas and Washington that he started getting Conn Smythe consideration from writers that blasted him for his play in Phoenix (he was also very good in St. Louis). This is why he finished second to Yzerman in Smythe voting (according to articles).

He's not HHOF material (with what he's done so far) but hey, neither was Vernon, and he's considered a great goalie.

Vernon is a little bit different than Osgood. Like Osgood he has only one 2nd team all-star but outside of his two Cups he played in 4 Cup finals. Vernon was more likely to be a guy that you feared rather than Osgood. Yes Vernon has his detractors but there's a lot more to like about him. He basically saved the Flames in '89. There is no time in Osgood's career that made you sit back and be in awe of him. And let's be honest put Felix Potvin in that position in 1997 and 1998 and does anything change? Was there a game or a series that Chris Osgood has ever stolen? I cant think of one. To me that isnt Hall of Fame material.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad