Pre-Game Talk: Chris Neil Retirement Game - Friday

otown

Sep 4, 2009
Must admit I was surprised when it was announced that his number was going to the rafters. I thought the ring of honour would be more suitable but when you think about it, nobody bleeds Sens colours more than Neiler.
A true blue Sen who added so much more to the game than points and assists. He is "Sens culture" and a proud example for the young group coming up.

Back in Black

All Sports would be great if they were Hockey
Jan 30, 2012
In the Penalty Box
I miss this guy, big time....

Never been suspended. Let that sink in...

326793335_5853349144732412_4808406863190995606_n.jpeg

Berri UQAM

Apr 15, 2022
Neil and Mair: A Tale of Two Tough Men

Twas 5 nights b4 Xmas
And all through the Sens's House
Felix Potvin was purring and looking to joust
So Roy smashed Felix face and took care of that
While Eloranta ran from Chris Neil like a cat
Smash went the fist behind Felix net
Eloranta was down but not done just yet
Cause Mair jumped the boards and he tried to get
Neil in his hands, but he started to sweat
And Neil smashed Mair face good and Mair ego reset
To size while he sat for 10 games at home with his pet

"I will avenge" vowed Mair, his wallet and soul feeling empty.

Years later, Mair and Neil tangoed, and Neil helmet fell.
And Mair swung it around while his blood vessels swell.
And gave a smack to Neil but no pain did Neil feel
Cause Colin Campbell had Mair on a reel
And called him in to say for 2 games you'll stay
At home with your pet, it's your worst mistake yet.

"I will avenge" said Mair.

Years later Neil smack Kaleta down
And Mair skate over to frown
A sour face to Neil from Mair like a clown
So Neil smacked Mair and Mair went down
in a crumpled heap in Ottawa town.

Last edited:

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
I wish this team dressed Chris Neil instead of Chris Kelly.

We’d have a cup to show for it.
Agree here, Boucher was ordered to play Neiler in game 2 vs NYR and Boucher gets his way game 7 and dresses Kelly who doesn’t even play and is supposed to be a coach (Boucher’s actual job) from the bench [Kelly played 3:41 in an OT game) Boucher wasn’t sure on what leadership was all about - doing it on the Ice like Neiler or talking about it from the bench like Kelly (and I’m a huge Chris Ké’y fan - wasn’t fair to dress him and not pay him)

God I wish this team had a Chris Neil instead of a Parker Kelly lol

Neiler would of loved to have played with a buzz saw like Kelly and Kastelic, veteran Neil on that 4th line would be the perfect fit

Last edited:
Reactions: Que

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Wait, what?!?

And now that I think about it…

Phenomenal.
Definitely a few hits that wouldn't fly in today's game, which is why we'll never see another like him. Absolute warrior on the ice who gave it everything he had...
You guys are loving him now but I will never forget the shameless treatment he received from you guys towards the end of his career.
...but toward the end of his career, it was clear he was running on fumes. Two things can be true here: he was a high-impact player who deserved all the respect he got, and the game passed him by near the end. Nothing wrong with that, nor was there anything wrong with calling it out. The NHL is very much a "what have you done for me lately" league.

Reactions: Pierre from Orleans

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Definitely a few hits that wouldn't fly in today's game, which is why we'll never see another like him. Absolute warrior on the ice who gave it everything he had...

...but toward the end of his career, it was clear he was running on fumes. Two things can be true here: he was a high-impact player who deserved all the respect he got, and the game passed him by near the end. Nothing wrong with that, nor was there anything wrong with calling it out. The NHL is very much a "what have you done for me lately" league.
He’s talking about fans, not the league though.

I get his point, it would be nice if we were more gracious towards some of our legends as they phase out, try and enjoy the last times we get to see them play, try and enjoy the moments etc… We don’t really like old things though ;)

Phillips got the same treatment in here, as did Andy before he left.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
He’s talking about fans, not the league though.

I get his point, it would be nice if we were more gracious towards some of our legends as they phase out, try and enjoy the last times we get to see them play, try and enjoy the moments etc… We don’t really like old things though ;)

Phillips got the same treatment in here, as did Andy before he left.
I'm talking about the fans, too. If you see a problem with fans weighing in on a player's current value to the team, there's zero chance we'll end up on the same page here.

Reactions: Pierre from Orleans

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I'm talking about the fans, too. If you see a problem with fans weighing in on a player's current value to the team, there's zero chance we'll end up on the same page here.
Eh, it always comes down to this in here it seems.

Personally, I enjoyed watching Neiler to the end even though he had lost a step. Knowing his games were numbered made things more nostalgic and wistful. It was a pleasure to watch his career, and I personally felt it was distasteful to dump on a legend in their final stretch (what you call fans ‘weighing in’).

I didn’t like it at the time, or now, but it’s understandable that we disagree on fan behaviour here. It is what it is.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
We managed to cough up a fur ball on the night that Alfie was inducted into the Hall of Fame - hopefully this one goes better. It should - Chicago is just straight up awful, and look like they have started to mail it in. Luke Richardson is a good guy and a good coach, but now he has veterans in that room like Kane who are sulking and want out. That kind of negative energy is hard to overcome...

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
We managed to cough up a fur ball on the night that Alfie was inducted into the Hall of Fame - hopefully this one goes better. It should - Chicago is just straight up awful, and look like they have started to mail it in. Luke Richardson is a good guy and a good coach, but now he has veterans in that room like Kane who are sulking and want out. That kind of negative energy is hard to overcome...
it was a great game for Philly's!

Norris4Norris

Jul 13, 2022
I kind of agree with it.

We have no championships to hang in the rafters. And we just put a guy's jersey up there who averaged 0.243 points per game over his career.

I totally respect what he did and the impact he had on those teams and on the city, even if it was a bit before my time.

I just know that when people look back at this in a few years, without perspective, they will say we never won anything because we celebrated less than mediocrity.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad