Chris Neil officially annouces his retirement

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
I liked Neil and always liked that he played the game hard but clean and if someone came knocking he would answer. I agree that it is exceedingly unlikely that we will see another player with his specific set of skills. in the NHL. I wish him nothing but the best.

I think I liked him because I though of him as a latter day Shayne Corson.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Heck of a career. Glad we could call him an Ottawa Senator.

I liked Neil and always liked that he played the game hard but clean and if someone came knocking he would answer. I agree that it is exceedingly unlikely that we will see another player with his specific set of skills. in the NHL. I wish him nothing but the best.

I think I liked him because I though of him as a latter day Shayne Corson.

More similarities to Domi IMO. Corson was a 30 goal guy in his prime.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Heck of a career. Glad we could call him an Ottawa Senator.

More similarities to Domi IMO. Corson was a 30 goal guy in his prime.
if you look at their careers, its not that different outside of scoring. And corson was always willing ( and dropped them with both domi and neil) but he wasnt a domi-level fighter. He was a gritty willing player who could bang and certainly was much closer to neil ( or neil was much closer to him) than he was to domi.

but i will always have a soft spot for players of that ilk, stand up guys who play tough but will answer when called but with short bursts of skill thrown in.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
if you look at their careers, its not that different outside of scoring. And corson was always willing ( and dropped them with both domi and neil) but he wasnt a domi-level fighter. He was a gritty willing player who could bang and certainly was much closer to neil ( or neil was much closer to him) than he was to domi.

but i will always have a soft spot for players of that ilk, stand up guys who play tough but will answer when called but with short bursts of skill thrown in.

I can certainly agree with the bursts of skill part but Neil most certainly was a better fighter than Corson.

If you look at their careers, Neil and Domi are within 6 games played and 5 points of each other.

In terms of fighting they’re similar in that they’re both undersized for the weight class but were certainly in the heavyweight division.

Reactions: derriko

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
I can certainly agree with the bursts of skill part but Neil most certainly was a better fighter than Corson.

If you look at their careers, Neil and Domi are within 6 games played and 5 points of each other.

In terms of fighting they’re similar in that they’re both undersized for the weight class but were certainly in the heavyweight division.
fair enough, I think Im thinking more of elder statesman neil than when he first came in.

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
Did his job well. Great teammate,solid in the community and would give his all every game for the senators. Also a key player in the great battle of ontario games years ago. He had a great career :clap:

Frenchy

Administrator
Sep 16, 2006
϶(°o°)ϵ
True warrior who gave his 100% each time that he was on the ice . It's a rarity for this "kind of player" to play his whole carreer of a 1000+ games with the same team.

SabresSharks

Oct 2, 2007
Definitely a throwback.

I love the speed and skill of today's game, but far too often the games are sterile. They lack the emotion and danger that are always present when players like Neil are on the ice.

I hope there will always be a place in the sport for players like him.

Reactions: Frenchy and derriko

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Not my favorite player but then again that means Neil did his job. And I know he would not have had it any other way. All the best to the big guy. I know it sounds absurd but he MIGHT deserve his sweater and number to be retired. 1000 games? Over 2,500 PIM? It's not in a typical fashion but if that isn't distinction to a franchise then I don't know what is.

Reactions: derriko

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Not my favorite player but then again that means Neil did his job. And I know he would not have had it any other way. All the best to the big guy. I know it sounds absurd but he MIGHT deserve his sweater and number to be retired. 1000 games? Over 2,500 PIM? It's not in a typical fashion but if that isn't distinction to a franchise then I don't know what is.

I am pretty sure all Tampa fans hate him and we all know why. :laugh:

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I am pretty sure all Tampa fans hate him and we all know why. :laugh:

JptBciS.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad